Krylon Fusion plastic spray-paint: Is primer recommended?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Feb 17, 2006.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I want to paint some dark grey plastic (specifically the kind found in a car interior), and i hear Krylon Fusion is the product to use.

however, i am just curious, would primer be recommended before i use the Krylon?

would it hurt to use primer? Because im reading how this paint soaks into the plastic rather than sitting 'on top' of the plastic, and so priming may prevent the paint from soaking in as well.

i've also hear people using krylon fusion AS primer, if thats the case i don't think primer would be necessary.

any advice?

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

Krylon® Fusion

Krylon® Fusion
    Color, MSDS, & Product Offering
    Discover this revolutionary paint for plastic - Fusion. This top-selling paint is the first of its kind that bonds directly to most plastics. Turn a treasured toy into something new again. Get many more years of enjoyment out of your outdoor patio furniture. And don't waste that waste paper basket - simply give it a new coat of paint.

* No sanding, no priming, no fuss
    * Dries in 15 minutes or less
    * Features the EZ Touch Fan™ Spray Nozzle

Taken from the Krylon website, no priming required.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    yeah i was reading that.. although its not REQUIRED, but is it recomended/not recommended?

Like would i get BETTER or WORSE results if i DID prime it?

4. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I think it was pretty clear you don't prime. You're probably right in thinking it would defeat the purpose of the product.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no, because the paint is designed to bond to the plastic.
    it's actually more like a plastic coating when dry and less like a paint FWIW.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    I tried it out by painting a plastic mailbox of ours...it looked great for a while...chipped pretty easily..and it didn't hold up at all to bird poop...ate the paint right off...[​IMG]

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

The inherent properties of bird droppings are a huge bane to the existence to all of us in the automotive refinishing industry. Never has such a small "natural" product created so much damage on so many aftermarket finishes.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    about the chipping, anything you guys recommend to coat on top of the krylon to seal it in, but still leaving a matte finish?

9. DougR

DougR Second Unit

I painted a few old Patio Chairs with it and it worked great! No Chipping.

BTW.............I did lightly Sand them to give the paint a little more Bite. Also it wouldn't hurt( if it's New) to lightly sand or use some "Fine" Steelwool to remove some of the "Factory" gloss.

10. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I used it to paint the back of an aquarium black and it turned out really well. No chipping or anything. Stuck to it really well.