What's new

Krispy Kreme To Open Outlets in Walmarts (2 Viewers)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I think it's amazing the things Wal-Mart is able to come up with. Sure, they make craploads of money. Sure, they may even run mom and pop businesses under. But that's the business cycle. If there weren't powerhouses like Wal-Mart, you'd all be bitching about how your last set of plastic cups cost you $50. It's competition, folks. If you don't like pan and scan movies, don't bitch about Wal-Mart. Wal-MArt doesn't make the movies or the DVD's. Bitch at the studios. If the studios didn't sell them, neither would Wal-Mart.
Were it not for corporations like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Kroger, etc. the cost of goods would be ridiculous, and even more jobs would move out of the country to compensate for the rapidly climbing cost of living. You can't have it both ways. Either accept that stuff is expensive, or stop being a consumer. But don't bitch about the messenger because you don't understand the message.
This message brought to you by a man with two sisters, both of whom run businesses whose biggest customer is Wal Mart, firm supporter of the American economy.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Temptation is sometimes just as strong as force.
Well, no, it isn't, by definition. Temptation means there's a choice, whereas force means there isn't.

One thing I've wondered is why KK or Dunkin Donuts haven't cut deals with movie theaters like this deal with Wal-Mart. You could sell donuts for $2 a pop, they're quieter than popcorn, and (especially those hockey pucks KK calls donuts) not terribly messy.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, no, it isn't, by definition. Temptation means there's a choice, whereas force means there isn't.
But that's what I mean. Nobody is forcing you to buy donuts when you walk in there, but some peoples will power is just too weak to pass by the wonderful smell of freshly baked donuts and not want to eat a whole dozen. :D

So yes, nobody is forcing you to buy them, but for every 100 people that buy donuts at KK in a Wal-Mart, we can probably assume that 80-95 of them wouldn't have even bought dounts at all if they weren't right there in the store.

That was the whole point of the original comment about people being too fat. They make it way too easy to get fattening food now a days. It's so much harder to find places to buy fruit than it is a hamburger. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nobody is forcing you to buy donuts when you walk in there, but some peoples will power is just too weak to pass by the wonderful smell of freshly baked donuts and not want to eat a whole dozen.
Evolution in action. Those with willpower are fit and attractive, while those without grow fat and repel the opposite sex. And thus, the environment selects for the ability to resist donuts. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Haven't taken a very close look at who's driving those kid-laden minivans lately, have we? Eek! :eek: :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If you don't have the self control to balance out that temptation, that is no one's fault but your own.
Try to tell that to every smoker.

But I'm not saying that it's not their fault. I totally agree that they have no one to blame but themselves, but that doesn't make temptation weaker. Most people just don't have the will power and are easily taken by temptation. That's all I'm saying.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Most people just don't have the will power and are easily taken by temptation. That's all I'm saying.
Thats fine, but the choice still comes down to that individual person making a conscious choice to do something or not do something. Businesses cannot be blamed in any way for offering a product. The only person who can be blamed for any choices is that person himself. His will power is his own and it's his responsibility to check that urge to buy something even when he shouldn't. If he can't keep the urge in check, that not my fault, your fault, or the business's fault in any way, shape, or form.

You're still trying to make it seem as though selling the product is somehow responsible even in a small way for a person's lack of self-control. I don't buy it for a second ... er ... no pun intended. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Businesses cannot be blamed in any way for offering a product.
Unless that product is, say, cocaine. :) Whether fatty foods are chemically addictive in the way narcotics are, though, I wouldn't know.

(There. That should plunge the thread into chaos.)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You're still trying to make it seem as though selling the product is somehow responsible even in a small way for a person's lack of self-control.
Well, not the selling of the product...

I just never liked the "No one forced you" line. I never understood what that means. People think that when you are forced into doing something, you don't have a choice - I just don't believe it.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but how can someone force you to do something without you having a choice? Let's say someone held a gun to your head and "Forced" you to eat a donut, don't you still have the "Choice" not to? Sure you may be killed, but the choice is still there.

This is what I meant when I said that temptation is as strong as force. No matter what you think, with both temptation and force, you have a CHOICE. For the people who are easily tempted by fatty foods, it's like a gun being pointed at their heads saying "Eat!!!" and most people have a hard time ignoring that.

Sorry to get so pshychological, and yes I understand that most people wouldn't crave donuts if they didn't eat so many to begin with, but the fact is, there are a LOT of people out there who get addicted to fast food and these comapnies know how to cash in big time on them.

It's like my company, I can go all day without eating a candy bar, but if my company ever decided to put a candy machine in my office, you know I'd be buying 3-5 candy bars per day. :b So it wouldn't be my companies 'fault' for the fact that I'd buy all the candy, I'm not blamming anyone, but I'd still be pretty mad at the decision to do such a thing.

So, I'm not blaming Wal-Mart or KK for making people fat, but they aren't helping.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So it wouldn't be my companies 'fault' for the fact that I'd buy all the candy, I'm not blamming anyone, but I'd still be pretty mad at the decision to do such a thing.
That's silly. The company is just providing a service (and, yeah, trying to make a buck), and you in that case would be the one not using it responsibly. Being mad at the people providing the service - which others may find useful and may have requested - just serves to deflect attention from one's own failings.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Being mad at the people providing the service - which others may find useful and may have requested - just serves to deflect attention from one's own failings.
Providing a liquor store in a school is also a service. Kids know they shouldn't buy the liquor there because they are under age, so this would be a wise decision?

ok, I know, bad response :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Since I don't like donuts, will someone please explain to me what's so great about Krispy Kreme?
That's like trying to describe a perfectly marinated sirloin. You have to try one to undertand, but since you don't like doughnuts it might not mean anything anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks