What's new

KOTOR-Anyone else waiting for PC (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the few games I'm actually excited for these days, but I'm starting to rethink buying the Xbox version. After trying to play morrowind on the Xbox, and then finally finishing it on PC, I realized that the PC was light years better for this type of game. Sure, an FF style RPG plays great on a console, but something more complex just needs the optoions that a PC can deliver. That, and the multiture of bugs in Morrowind that were later fixed on the PC is making me lean towards the patchable system. The extra couple of months of waiting is a bit of a pain, but if it means a better/more stable version of the game, then I'd have to say it's worth it. Any thoughts?

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Just because it is an RPG, doesn't mean it will be buggy. And I don't see where KOTOR is somehow too complex for XBOX, but I'd be happy to hear your reasons for thinking it will be. If the PC version is great, and the XBOX version isn't, then that will be because the developer doesn't know what they are doing... I don't think this is the case.

James D S

Screenwriter
Nope, I'll be there when KOTOR streets for Xbox. If I find it lacking, then I'll pick it up for PC. Though, from what I'm getting, I don't think I have much to worry about. YMMV

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
KOTOR doesn't really play like Morowind at all, its more like Baulders gate. The Xbox version totally rocks, tell the truth I'd prefer the xbox version simply because I can sit on a comfy couch and enjoy it on my big screen.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I was thinking more about the control complexity as opposed to the hardware. For example, you were able to customize you menus and hotkeys more in Morrowind for PC than on morrowind for Xbox.

If it plays similar to Baldur's gate (or Planescape: Torment), then I can see this interface being a little cumbersome with a controller. Doable, perhaps, but still a little cumbersome. True, I am kind of torn between my desire to play on the couch in 5.1 and the desire to be able to patch the game to eliminate the possible bugs, but we'll have to see when it comes out. I was also skeptical about being able to pull off FPS controls on a console, but Medal of Honour (and later Halo) proved me wrong. Maybe this will too?

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Just for the record, who says it can't be patched. In the day and age of Xbox live, could it not be possible to fix a few bugs via down loadable content? Just a thought.

I too will be picking this up for Xbox for the same reason as Dean. Big Screen. Hmmm, 19" monitor, or 62' tv, and sweet 5.1. Easy decision.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Capcom already had a patch for Capcom vs. SNK2. The music would stop sometimes so they made it a mandatory download when you logged in to play.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
True, it is possible that there could be a patch released via downloadable content, but that would also mean being a live subscriber (which I'm not). Can download all the content you want on PC for free though.

Mario_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I got my Xbox so I wouldn't have to buy games on my PC! Darnit! Yeah, I'm waiting desperately for something Star Wars to come out for the Xbox...

James St

Supporting Actor
I'll be getting the Xbox version. I prefer couch gaming on a big screen same as Dean.

Howie A

Second Unit
There was one misconception on my part. I was under the impression that the fighting system
would be chosen by the player on the fly what ever the situation would call for, either a turn base
or real time battle (if you thought you could handle it in real time).?. Now after viewing a few videos
and reading a bit more about the game. I have come to realize it is not real time battle system at
all, its more of turn base with real time action or video.? (I guess thats how to describe it)
Though I am still looking forward to seeing this.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/426/426888p2.html

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
This is the game I bought my XBOX for... hopefully it's still on schedule to ship next week. Still hasn't gone gold yet, though.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Something to remember is that Morrowind was built for the PC and converted to the Xbox afterward. KOTOR is being built for the Xbox and being converted to PC afterward (ala Splinter Cell). That's a big difference, in KOTOR the PC version will be the port!

Always buy a game for the original system it was designed for, only a few exceptions where the conversions are actually better (GTA games come to mind).

I'm all over KOTOR with a double-bladed lightsaber when it hits this month :D :D :D :D :D

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
IGN mention the game controls surprisingly well on the XBox. Knights is really a console game first, PC port second. Morrowind was a PC game first, XBox port second, as mentioned above, so it can't compare. Knights is more akin to Final Fantasy, and may put some PC gamers off.

I'll be grabbing Knights day one for the XBox.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hadn't realized that it was designed Xbox-first-that changes things... I remember the really bad PC FF ports, so might pick this one up for the box after all.

Not until Master's thesis is done though...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Something to remember is that Morrowind was built for the PC and converted to the Xbox afterward
Thats half correct Joe. Morrowind began its six and a half year development cycle on the PC, that part is definitely correct. About the third or fourth year of development it was decided to release the Xbox version of the game.

The last two to three years of Morrowinds development time was shared between the Xbox and PC version. In some cases the Xbox version of the game directly influencing the PC game as the developers have noted in the past.

Furthermore Knights of the Old Republics development mirrors that of Morrowind very closely. KOTOR was begun as a PC project and had significant design and engine work done already when the Xbox version of the game was announced and subsequent work was begun on that version of the title. (Both of which are now in simulataneous developement)

I'd say its more correct to label both games (Morrowind and KOTOR) as nothing more than versions of one another and not "PC port" or "XBOX port".

As far as which version to get? I plan to purchase the Xbox game simply because I have no patience and want to delve into KOTOR ASAP (although I have no damn time right now and it will sit in its wrapper for at least two weeks.).

Patching should be a very minor issue here as Bioware has proven to be one of the most solid developers in the realm of single player RPG's such as Baldurs Gate I and II which both saw one to two very minor patches. (Neverwinter on the other hand is a whole different can of worms but your dealing with a fairly robust creation tool and persistent online play as well). I do understand the trepidation here as Morrowind has proven to be sour experience on the Xbox for many players, however Morrowind is a significantly different game.

I will more than likely repurchase the game on the PC to get a second play through at higher resolutions and to experience the added content Bioware has stated will be added to the PC game. (Can we get a Collectors Edition BW? How about with a nice Jeremy Soule Score Soundtrack while your at it? That would be reason enough for me to purchase the CE.)

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting about the development of KOTOR. Didn't know that.

I'm not worried about bugs with Bioware. Bioware, as Romier mentioned, is an excellent developer. They've produced nothing but excellent, bug free games for years. Bioware is almost as good as Blizzard.

Bethseda, on the other hand, has a range of games which really very in quality. Some of their games are pretty bad, some pretty good, like Morrowind. One thing common to all of Bethseda's games though, are bugs, and a lot of them. Usually, people play through Bethseda games because of excellent ideas and other great features, and try and ignore the bugs and poor balancing. I usually don't touch Bethseda's stuff without reviews, because of their reputation.

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
Like Mario, I have been waiting a while for something Star Wars (good Star Wars that is) to come out on the Xbox and KOTOR looks like it may be a winner.

I'm a little afraid that it might take time away from my Live play. ;)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Patching should be a very minor issue here as Bioware has proven to be one of the most solid developers in the realm of single player RPG's such as Baldurs Gate I and II which both saw one to two very minor patches.
That was one point I was going to make too.

My personal opinion is that BethSoft just isn't as talented at coding as other developers. Although I suppose their defenders will say that a game like Morrowind is so open ended that it's much harder to develope than others, and as such, will have more opportunities for missed bugs.

I still say it's common sense that all developers aren't created equally. Therefore, some are bug makers and other are bug squashers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks