KOTOR-Anyone else waiting for PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

This is one of the few games I'm actually excited for these days, but I'm starting to rethink buying the Xbox version. After trying to play morrowind on the Xbox, and then finally finishing it on PC, I realized that the PC was light years better for this type of game. Sure, an FF style RPG plays great on a console, but something more complex just needs the optoions that a PC can deliver. That, and the multiture of bugs in Morrowind that were later fixed on the PC is making me lean towards the patchable system. The extra couple of months of waiting is a bit of a pain, but if it means a better/more stable version of the game, then I'd have to say it's worth it. Any thoughts?

2. Keith Frederick

Keith Frederick Stunt Coordinator

Just because it is an RPG, doesn't mean it will be buggy. And I don't see where KOTOR is somehow too complex for XBOX, but I'd be happy to hear your reasons for thinking it will be. If the PC version is great, and the XBOX version isn't, then that will be because the developer doesn't know what they are doing... I don't think this is the case.

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Nope, I'll be there when KOTOR streets for Xbox. If I find it lacking, then I'll pick it up for PC. Though, from what I'm getting, I don't think I have much to worry about. YMMV

4. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

KOTOR doesn't really play like Morowind at all, its more like Baulders gate. The Xbox version totally rocks, tell the truth I'd prefer the xbox version simply because I can sit on a comfy couch and enjoy it on my big screen.

5. Chris Bardon

Keith, I was thinking more about the control complexity as opposed to the hardware. For example, you were able to customize you menus and hotkeys more in Morrowind for PC than on morrowind for Xbox.

If it plays similar to Baldur's gate (or Planescape: Torment), then I can see this interface being a little cumbersome with a controller. Doable, perhaps, but still a little cumbersome. True, I am kind of torn between my desire to play on the couch in 5.1 and the desire to be able to patch the game to eliminate the possible bugs, but we'll have to see when it comes out. I was also skeptical about being able to pull off FPS controls on a console, but Medal of Honour (and later Halo) proved me wrong. Maybe this will too?

6. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

Just for the record, who says it can't be patched. In the day and age of Xbox live, could it not be possible to fix a few bugs via down loadable content? Just a thought.

I too will be picking this up for Xbox for the same reason as Dean. Big Screen. Hmmm, 19" monitor, or 62' tv, and sweet 5.1. Easy decision.

7. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

Capcom already had a patch for Capcom vs. SNK2. The music would stop sometimes so they made it a mandatory download when you logged in to play.

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Absolutely I'll buy this on PC. There's never been any question.

9. Chris Bardon

True, it is possible that there could be a patch released via downloadable content, but that would also mean being a live subscriber (which I'm not). Can download all the content you want on PC for free though.

10. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

I got my Xbox so I wouldn't have to buy games on my PC! Darnit! Yeah, I'm waiting desperately for something Star Wars to come out for the Xbox...

11. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I'll be getting the Xbox version. I prefer couch gaming on a big screen same as Dean.

12. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

There was one misconception on my part. I was under the impression that the fighting system
    would be chosen by the player on the fly what ever the situation would call for, either a turn base
    or real time battle (if you thought you could handle it in real time).?. Now after viewing a few videos
    and reading a bit more about the game. I have come to realize it is not real time battle system at
    all, its more of turn base with real time action or video.? (I guess thats how to describe it)
    Though I am still looking forward to seeing this.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/426/426888p2.html

13. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

This is the game I bought my XBOX for... hopefully it's still on schedule to ship next week. Still hasn't gone gold yet, though.

14. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Something to remember is that Morrowind was built for the PC and converted to the Xbox afterward. KOTOR is being built for the Xbox and being converted to PC afterward (ala Splinter Cell). That's a big difference, in KOTOR the PC version will be the port!

Always buy a game for the original system it was designed for, only a few exceptions where the conversions are actually better (GTA games come to mind).

I'm all over KOTOR with a double-bladed lightsaber when it hits this month [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

IGN mention the game controls surprisingly well on the XBox. Knights is really a console game first, PC port second. Morrowind was a PC game first, XBox port second, as mentioned above, so it can't compare. Knights is more akin to Final Fantasy, and may put some PC gamers off.

I'll be grabbing Knights day one for the XBox.

16. Chris Bardon

Hadn't realized that it was designed Xbox-first-that changes things... I remember the really bad PC FF ports, so might pick this one up for the box after all.

Not until Master's thesis is done though...

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

Interesting about the development of KOTOR. Didn't know that.

I'm not worried about bugs with Bioware. Bioware, as Romier mentioned, is an excellent developer. They've produced nothing but excellent, bug free games for years. Bioware is almost as good as Blizzard.

Bethseda, on the other hand, has a range of games which really very in quality. Some of their games are pretty bad, some pretty good, like Morrowind. One thing common to all of Bethseda's games though, are bugs, and a lot of them. Usually, people play through Bethseda games because of excellent ideas and other great features, and try and ignore the bugs and poor balancing. I usually don't touch Bethseda's stuff without reviews, because of their reputation.

19. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

Like Mario, I have been waiting a while for something Star Wars (good Star Wars that is) to come out on the Xbox and KOTOR looks like it may be a winner.

I'm a little afraid that it might take time away from my Live play. [​IMG]

20. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris