korean DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ForresterW, Jan 19, 2002.

1. ForresterW

ForresterW Stunt Coordinator

i am looking to buy few legit korean movie on DVD, and i was wondering if there was a internet store that was located in U.S.
    thank you
    [​IMG]

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

3. ForresterW

are the DVD on this site officially released or a bootleg??
    thank you
    [​IMG]

4. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

They are official. Another site is dvdasian.com. I just found out about Pokerindustries so I am going to try them this week. They are located literally a half hour from me. You should definitely pick up the 2 disc set of Shiri. I just watched it the other night and it is an amazing film. I hope you violence though [​IMG]

5. Michael Banks

I use Poker Industries exclusively for my Korean and Hong Kong discs. They have fair prices and great service.

I second John on Shiri, one of the best action titles i've seen. There are alot of good titles in all genres.

Some of my favorites so far:

Shiri

Attack The Gas Station!

Kick the Moon

Jakarta

Beat

Tell Me Something

Il Mare

Just remember to order the original Korean release because alot of these films have HK releases also. Most Korean DVD's are anamorphic and blow away the HK releases in all aspects.

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

If you do use Poker you might like to know about this.
    From DVD Talk;
    "Poker Industries has the now 'hard to find' import of The Twin Peaks Pilot in stock. Also DVD Talk Members Get 10% off your order with the coupon code DVDTK02 with all orders of $50.00 or more are upgraded to FREE SHIPPING! Check out these other new arrivals Change Visitor Q, Ebola Syndrome & Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals."

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

8. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

jakarta???

i was born there!

what kind of movie is that???

9. Michael Banks

Sorry, I should have mentioned the region 3 thing. It depends on the title, some are R3 and some R0. Most of the newer titles are region encoded. After a having a region free player for a while you take that for granted. I guess you can say, it just gives you a reason to buy a new player.[​IMG]
    Jakarta is a comedy about three different groups of bank robbers. Unbeknownst to them, they are all hitting the same bank at the same time. Don't read to many reviews, because they will spoil it for you. A very well written movie, that keeps going strong until the end. The Korean disc is region 0, a definite must purchase for getting a taste of their films.

10. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

Try bluelaser they "had" CTHD when everyone else was backordered and or sold out!! They've also been around since the early Laserdisc days. Their site is pretty nice, lots of pics, I even receive their monthly e-mail updates and Nancy will get you whatever you want, legal that is.
    bodymov'n [​IMG]

11. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

michael banks, does the title jakarta have anything to do with the capital of indonesia?

12. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Shiri is getting a US release in February. I can't wait. I heard the only change to the film will be a short prologue explaining the political climate in Korea. The rest of the move will be exactly the same as it was.

HKFLIX.COM is also very good for these movies.

Matt

13. Michael Banks

Felix,
    The title is referring to where a couple of the robbers want to go after the heist. After they make the score, that's where they want to retire to. Why they picked Jakarta is anyone's guess. I didn't know anything about the city until watching this movie. I decided to read up and can see why they wanted to go there. That's a beautiful city.[​IMG]

14. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

Forrester,
    I may be one of a few Korean members in this Forum. May I ask you why you like Korean movies? Just for curiosity...[​IMG]

15. MilesH

MilesH Stunt Coordinator

If I were you, I would stay clear of Poker Industries. I ordered a DVD from them that was defective. This is not unusual because the quality control of Hong Kong companies is poor. They refused to reply to any of my emails concerning a replacement. In short, there customer service is non-existant. If you get a defective DVD from them, you will be stuck with it.
    People have recently had even worse experiences than me with Poker Industries:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
    Unless you like gambling with your money, you should shop elsewhere. Caveat Emptor!

16. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Sigh... No one even mentions the great swordplay movie... Bichunmoo....
    I think much better the Crouching Iguana, Hidden Piglet. [​IMG]

17. ForresterW

hello
    The reason I am interested in korean movie is because I am too korean. Recently i saw a movie called "Mu Sa" and I really like it, and i want this movie(and few others) on DVD. [​IMG]

18. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

ForresterW,
    Thank you for your reply. I thought you were an American, guessing from your ID. Then, I am curious how many Koreans were posting in this thread...[​IMG]
    So far, I just bought Shiri from dvdasian.com. I ordered it, but they replied that they had no stock. I contacted them for complaint, and they were receptive and nice to me. Except some unexpected delay, I had no problem with them. I hope this would help.

19. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Let us not forget Purple Storm. I personally thought this movie was better then Shiri.

20. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Another Korean posting on this forum... [​IMG]
    Why Has The Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East? is availible in Region 1 by Image. A very introspective, philosophical film about Buddhism. The video is nonanamorphic and of fair quality, but watchable. I believe Criterion released this on laserdisc. Hopefully they can get the rights to release it on DVD.