What's new

kojak season 2 (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for your help. However, in my previous post I didn't doubt Todd's answer to my question about "The Marcus-Nelson Murders".

Had decided to order the Region 2 Universal set of the first season of Kojak.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That's an excellent and spot on review there, a wonderful loving read, nothing like the terrible one given by dvdtown in stark contrast. I wonder what happened to the promised DVD extras, maybe we'll see them on future season releases.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
What I would like to focus on is the picture/print quality. Based on the screenshots in the DVD Talk review it looks quite good, and they do show off the series very well.

NOTE: The quoted post is post #20 in the KOJAK --- Season Two on DVD ? thread (in the TV on DVD folder).

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff mac ../../227375/kojak-season-two-on-dvd#post_3823403
You'll see the pilot at some point, but it's not on the second season set.
They are all new masters too.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Just loving some of the conversations and one liners from Telly Savalas, had some good laughs, especially on the second episode. Despite the serious subject matter the lighter moments work well.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I noticed a change in the style of the theme music around the fourth episode, I will have to recheck for the exact one, but the original was used again after I had watched a few more. Not a big deal really but just wondering the reason behind it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Did UNIVERSAL ever re-issue Season 1 in a smaller style case? Each time I've seen it at Barnes & Noble it is two standard DVD cases with slipcover and they usually always look like someone ran them over in a whse.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Powell&Pressburger said:
Did UNIVERSAL ever re-issue Season 1 in a smaller style case? Each time I've seen it at Barnes & Noble it is two standard DVD cases with slipcover and they usually always look like someone ran them over in a whse.
I could be that Universal re packaged the sets in slim line cases. Like Fox did with the X files sets when they finally lowered the prices by 2/3 from the stupid crazy prices they were charging , fox got into trouble in some states when they were sell them as newly manufactured/releases when they were just slim case repackaged disks from store returns and excess unsold inventory .

BobSchneider

Second Unit
BTW I got my Kojak season 2 yesterday from amazon its great. Yeah its strip down set but it way better release than Universal's kojak S1. get it if your a US kojak fan.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Brent Avery said:
I noticed a change in the style of the theme music around the fourth episode, I will have to recheck for the exact one, but the original was used again after I had watched a few more. Not a big deal really but just wondering the reason behind it.
They changed the original orchestration of the Billy Goldenberg theme from S1 at episode #5 of Season 2, although it pops up again one more time on episode #11 (a clear sign of an episode that was shot earlier but held back until later in the season). I have to admit, the newer John Cacavas arranged version of the theme I don't like because the original version had more of an authentic gritty "New York" kind of sound to it that fit the style of the show whereas Cacavas's is way too up tempo and "Hollywood" for my taste.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Jack, thank you for that bit of information, and I have to agree with you on how the original theme just fit the show much better - sometimes I find myself watching one of the earlier episodes just to hear it!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack, was Kojak's theme tune changed again for the fifth and final season?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, Cacavas this time got to come up with an entirely new theme after simply redoing the original Goldenberg theme and having heard it, it's even worse IMO. By then, it's more about self-conscious celebration of a TV icon.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
chrisBeckett said:
As Todd confirms, "The Marcus-Nelson Murders" is not part of the Season 1 Region 2 set released by Universal Playback. It is however on another Universal Playback release and this DVD is still available:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kojak-1-DVD-Telly-Savalas/dp/B00005ABUH/
Hey thanks for the link I don't know how a missed it before , I ordered it from amazon UK for 11.74 usd including shipping and it say I should get in a week to ten days by the "post" .:) Ive got a region free dvd player and Ive alwasy wanted Kojak pilot forever so thats cool:D . As far as the opening theme music is concerned I like the original opening theme all of s1 and the second incarnation of the opening theme starting half way thru s2 until s4.Then s5 the new gasty upbeat Broadway musical/Disco inspired version of the opening theme was launched trying to remake/revamp the show to improve ratings. It did nothing to improve the ratings and 1978 was the shows last season. But it was great while it lasted. :D

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, but evidently the post-series movies. I also suspect that this is the package that will also include "The Marcus-Nelson Murders" as well since it's probably more convenient to bundle that with the rest of the post-series movies than as a bonus on S3 etc.

cliff mac

Insider
Jack P said:
Yes, but evidently the post-series movies. I also suspect that this is the package that will also include "The Marcus-Nelson Murders" as well since it's probably more convenient to bundle that with the rest of the post-series movies than as a bonus on S3 etc.
It includes MARCUS NELSON MURDERS and the other 7 films.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
3D front cover artwork now up on Amazon.com for Kojak: The Complete Movies Collection.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll be getting this when it comes out, but the one movie in the set I have no desire to see again is the first post-series movie "The Belarus File" which I had the opportunity to see recently on an old VHS copy. Even though it's the only post-series movie to feature some of the series regulars (George Savalas as Stavros, he died not too long afterwards; Dan Frazer as Captain McNeil but in one scene only), it totally lacks the feel of classic Kojak because they basically just shoehorned the character of Kojak into a paper-thin story designed to showcase a non-fiction book "The Belarus Secret" that has come under criticism for some dubious scholarship. Telly Savalas becomes a character whose purpose is more to make speeches then to be the Kojak who was fun to watch in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks