What's new

knowing which films you have when you're in the shop (1 Viewer)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Well, my computer just told me I have 1634 DVDs.

I buy most of my new releases on line, but mainly my collection consists of vintage films, and I'll occasionally stumble into the local used DVD store to see if I can find something interesting. I haven't yet bought two of anything, but I've come close a couple of times (RED RIVER jumps to mind as a disc I came close to purchasing but already owned; I wasn't sure, so I didn't buy it, luckily). If I'd watched all my films, no doubt I'd have a surer grip on the titles, but who in the hell has time to watch 1634 DVDs?

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I'm constantly amazed how many dvds some people have. I can't even think of 200 movies I really liked let alone actually wanting to own. And how many of those movies have decent transfers that will still stand up when HD finally arrives? Give your dvd money to some poor kid in Africa. ;-P

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I own approximately 330 DVDs and I know what I have at all times. I use Access database to enter new purchases and I run off a copy every time I update the database.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Since we are talking in terms of going to a store and wondering if you already have the DVD in your collection, I challenge you to name DVD titles & I will let you know if I already own it. ;)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the thread fart, Mark. This forum, and
especially this topic, is for enthusiasts of DVDs, not
for someone who will bash us for having a hobby.:thumbsdown:

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I keep my list on Quattro. One sheet each for (1)What I have, (2)What I want, (3)Unscheduled/Unavailable and (4) Schedule of releases.
Unavailable is so that I don't drive me and others nuts trying to find something that hasn't been released. It also notes what is "out-of-print" so I know that I have to spend some time on ebay to find a copy :D
The schedule of releases so I know which week I need to horde my pennies since the following week has several releases I want - epecially since I buy alot of TV-DVD's.
Next week is "Alien Planet" and the following week is Adam-12 S1, Emergency! S1 and Gladiator Extended Edition

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think you need to make a list up. (You were supposed to do that when you brought your first one). :)

Do it now before your collection gets any bigger. Even with Notepad. You can cram quite a few in it and have it come out on a single sheet of paper.

Glenn

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

I thought we were all movie enthusiasts first. DVDs are cold plastic discs. If your hobby is collecting them I have a whole box full of unused AOL signup discs to donate. :D

Back to the thread. Going to the store and buying the same disc is pretty funny. I have more of a problem remembering why I'm there in the first place when another dvd distracts me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I run both Profiler and Aficionado to keep track of what I have AND I have a nifty little notecard on my keyboard to write down new stuff that I want and the date.

Sorry, I hafta agree with the fact that if you bought the movies yourself, there's no reason not to know what you have when you go into the store. At the height of my collection, I had well over 400 movies and I could tell you in a heartbeat if I had something--and if it was a Widescreen/Multi-disc set/Unrated cut/whatever.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Just this week using Delicious Library(mac only program) I did my DVD inventory as we have 5 people in our house and sometimes it gets hard to know what everyone has bought. Plus this program syncs with Ipods so i have my entire list on it. I highly recommend the program as you can use your isight camera to bar code scan

capt

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I would have to agree with others who have said that remembering everything on your WISH list is difficult when you go into the store. To help with that trouble, I do use DVD Aficianado to both itemize my collection and create a wish list. I glance over the wish list frequently and add new titles as new announcements are made. The more I look at my wish list, the easier it is to recall specific titles when I go into the store. Though as many others have said, the want list is very close to being down to just future releases.

StephenA

Screenwriter
When I shop for DVDs, I go looking for new releases that I might want and ones I know I want. I also know which ones I already have, though none of my family does and have got me duplicates a couple times for presents. I can't explain how I know which ones I have.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's sort of an amazing thing with me, I have 600+ titles, and when i'm in a store I sort of sense that I have a particular title already.

I can't call off all the titles I have off the top of my head, but you put me in a store I can recall if I have that title or not, it's wierd. :confused:

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
I buy approximately 75% of my discs used, and have on occasion bought something I already owned. However, at $4 or $5 a pop on the used market, I can easily offload the purchase on eBay, usually at a profit! However, when buying new (always online), I can easily check the master list of titles I own which I keep in an Excel file. Too expensive to make that mistake for a new title. BTW, currently own around 2300 titles. Obviously, a movie junkie.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Most of the time, I'm reasonably sure of what I already own on DVD -

BUT, there are times when I get a bit confused because I own the title on LaserDisc, and the question becomes whether or not I've updated it to DVD.

I keep my list in DVD Profiler up to date, yet I've never printed out a list to check - though I keep meaning to.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
Not only do I remember what DVDs I own, but I remember the studio, movie release year, screen ratio, whether anamorphic or not, Region Code :D

And I have over 1300 titles :b

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with DaveRU...I have over 1200 DVDs, and I always know if I already own something. I can't always reel off the year the film was released, but I can usually tell you the aspect ratio, whether or not it's anamorphic, the region code, and why I have the specific version that I do. (Or often, why I have two different releases of it to cover all the extras/quality bases.)

The idea of not knowing if I already own something scares me. :)

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I've smoked weed for years and even I can remember what titles I already own in my library of over 2,030 titles.:)

And wish-list? Anytime I slide into a retail store to buy dvds/films...it's planned. I have my little black book of my most needed 100 films/concerts. Usually though, I buy on-line which makes it even easier....since I'm going for a few specific titles.

And no, sorry Charlie....I have never almost bought the same dvd.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks