knowing which films you have when you're in the shop

Discussion in 'DVD' started by george fr, Aug 13, 2005.

1. george fr

george fr Auditioning

When you go shopping,how do you know which dvd's you have.I mean,when I go shopping,I try to have a book that I've made up of all my films,so when I go into a shop on the off chance and I see a bargain(I mostly buy used,so I don't know what I'll come across),I'll know what I've got.How do you do it?

2. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Though it won't help right now, DVD Profiler will be coming out with a Pocket version in the near future.

I always shop online and track my wishlist and purchases in DVD Profiler, so I avoid duplication (which can be easy to do once you have a large collection).

3. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I don't know how.

I just know.

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

The concept of not knowing which DVDs you own is a foreign one to me. In fact, even if I had thousands of them, I'm pretty sure I would keep track well mentally. The only exception would be if other people were adding to my collection all the time. Such is not the case at this time. [​IMG]

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I once bought Silkwood only to find once I got home that I already had it. When you have a large collection it's sometimes difficult to remember every last one.:b

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I mostly remember, but they are all listed in my palm pilot, so I always have the list with me. Fortunately I hit a point a long time ago, where I have everything I want that's been released, so now, the only thing I buy in stores are new releases that I want (which are also listed in my palm pilot), so it's not much of a problem for me.

7. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Same here. If I should ever run into problems knowing what I own and what I don't own I'll either stop collecting DVDs or have my memory checked. [​IMG]

Chris

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

OK, I would like to challenge you to name every DVD that you own, without looking at them [​IMG]

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I keep a list in my wallet of which seasons of particular shows I have. And also which Cirque du Soleil shows I have (since they all look alike).

Knowing which seasons I have wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for my trying to buy them all used, which means I end up getting them out of order.

But as for movies, I know pretty much what I have. Sometimes - rarely - I will think I have something when in fact I don't but this is mainly confusion caused by sequels (I thought I had Men in Black 1 when in fact I only had Men in Black 2).

10. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Kyle - It's not so much being able to name off every DVD you own without looking at your collection as much as it knowing whether or not you already own a certain DVD when you see it on the store shelf.

For me, it's just hard to fathom not knowing. I do a lot of trading at dvdtalk.com, so there are certain titles I've owned 3 or 4 different times (like Planet of the Apes 35th AE, Freaks & Geeks, etc.), but I still know what I've got at any given time.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm in George's boat, I have what I want so I almost exclusively buy new releases.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I'm sort of the opposite. I just keep lists of the DVDs I want.

I tried DVD Profiler, but it took too much time and was kind of pointless. Why make a list on your computer of all the titles you have? Why not just look in your shelf, or look in the boxes you keep them in?

But, I keep a list of what I want to buy, and if I go out shopping will go through it, remember what titles to look for.

13. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Lots of reasons. Since I only buy films I want to rewatch, I basically just cycle through them, watching the one I haven't seen in the longest time. With nearly 1300 dvds, that would be kind of hard to do without a list. I also use that list to generate other lists. For example, when I invite people from work over to see a film, I give them a list of about 50 of the films I haven't seen in the longest time, sorted by genre, for them to pick a film from.

This list is also used to keep track of which films my wife likes (which I wait and watch with her), and which ones she doesn't (which I watch by myself). Also, I keep track of content issues in films that impact how old my son will have to be before I let him watch them.

I use this list all the time, and can't imagine just "looking on my shelves".

14. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Smartass. [​IMG]

Well, Dane already answered it. Ask me for a title and I can tell you whether I have it or not. Obviously I can't give you the entire list of what I own by memory. Kinda reminds me of the "name all 50 states" bet on Friends. [​IMG]

Chris

15. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Haha, that was a great bet! I love that episode. I have only purchased one DVD twice, and that was X2. I almost bought American Pie 2 again a long time ago, but passed and found it on my shelf when I got home. Generally speaking though I know what I have.

16. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I am always checking sites to see what is coming
    out on DVD in the future, and writing down what I
    would like to buy and when it comes out. I will update
    my DVD database occasionally (Microsoft Access), and
    I have a pretty good memory of what I have recently
    purchased and watched. Also I purchase the majority
    of my collection through internet orders, and I can
    easily check my library to make sure I don't already
    have a title. I doubt I'll ever make the mistake of
    buying a DVD twice.

17. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

I think the key to my familiarity of my collection is buying only DVDs that I know I like (stuff I have seen already or I am quite familiar with the director). In other words, I never blind buy. I do blind rent, however, but still, not without knowing at least something about the movie from articles or reviews I've read.

It also helps to keep the collection small and have a very specific, short wishlist that meets a high criterion of desirability. I have no "kinda" wants on my wishlists. Either I really want it or don't care.

Finally, raise your aesthetic standards for your collection and you will never forget what titles you own.

18. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

I don't have this problem either. I don't think I could name EVERY movie in my 800+ collection, but I could name most of them, and centainly answer yes or no if someone asked me if I owned a particular movie. I guess that when it comes to stuff that interests me, I have a very very good memory. I worked in a local videostore years ago, and even though we weren´t the biggest one around, we still had about 1800 titles at any given point, and I could tell you in a second if we had a given title or not, and I could show you where it was on the shelves. I guess that comes with the job...putting the movies back on the shelves over and over again (We had empty covers on the shelves, and the VHS behind the desk)

But I´ve had a few occasions where the customer didn´t believe that I could tell in a second whether we had a certain movie or not...but I guess they finally got used to believing me [​IMG]

19. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

If you can't remember what dvds you actually own maybe you should go home and actually watch them before you enter a store again. [​IMG]

20. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

I don't have too many DVDs (only about 1,300 titles). Although I can't name them all, I know which ones I already own and which ones I don't already own.