What's new

Knoll HD 110 DLP projector (1 Viewer)

Craig Aguiar

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. Has anyone used or seen a Knoll Systems HD 110 DLP projector. I can get one for a good price and am concidering it. Here are the specs. If anyone knows if this is good or bad please advise me.

Here are my concerns:

I don't want to see any lines or pixels and I will be using mostly 480p DVD and non-HD satellite.

I am going for an approx. 80" screen with a seeting didtance of 10ft (first row) and 14ft (second row)

DMD Panel: 1-chip extended S-VGA DMD (0.67") DLP™ Chip

Aspect Ratio: 4:3, widescreen and 16:9 anamorphic; user selectable

Colors: Full color, 24 bit, 16.7 million colors, 7000 degrees K

Resolution: 848 x 480 (16:9) 800 x 600 (4:3); video 800 lines

Brightness: 1000 ANSI lumens

Contrast Ratio: 600:1 full on/full off

Lamp: 220 watt h.p. mercury, user replaceable

Image Size: Variable 150 - 365cm (60 - 144")

Projection Distance: 2 - 10m (6.5' - 33')

Lens: 1:1.2 manual zoom and focus f=3.0

Keystone: +/-20 degrees (variable)

Configurations: Front, rear, floor and ceiling mount

Quote from website:

Movies, sports, games, TV, the web, and more can be now experienced with the latest in BIG screen entertainment. The HD110 projector features exceptional image clarity thanks to DCDI video processing (a FAROUDJA processor) that suppresses artifacts and cross-colors. It also has per-pixel motion adaptive processing and patented film mode detection that allows both 3:2 and 2:2 pull down. The DVI input with HDCP decryption allows images with the highest quality digital video, larger than life movies, sports, games, TV and even the web.

The glass lens is made by the worlds finest lens maker, Carl Zeiss. The HD110 light bulb can be replaced by the end user. The HD110 features a manual zoom lens and focus.

Thanks for all of your help.

Craig

Craig Aguiar

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, Craig here again. Ishould mentioned this in the origional post but I forgot. The Knoll HD110 is the same as InFocus 110. So if anyone knows that model your info would help me too.

Thanks, Craig.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Craig, what's a "good" price on that? Sounds like you only get 480P resolution in 16x9 mode which isn't really ideal for HD *or* DVD. Why isn't it ideal for DVD when DVDs are only 480 vertical to begin with?

Because they get *smoothed* out considerably on higher-resolution projectors and consequently *reveal* more of the actual detail present in the signal that's obscured by the "blocking" (quantizing) artifacts at the 480-level.

Also, that CR of only 600:1 is *pathetic* in this day and age of DLP. Expect a rather washed-out "dull" picture regardless of brightness IMO. If you want "3-D" and richness you *have* to have decent black-level which you get with many other DLPs out there right now...some of them affordable on even a "decent rear projection TV" budget. If you were going to be happy with a CR that modest I'd suggest you get the native 16x9 Sony HS10 which has a little over 1280 x 720 res and produces a fabulous picture...black level aside.

If you can swing it...think about the NEC HT1000 that has @ 3000:1 CR and has about 576 vertical res in 16x9 mode. You can get an anamorphic lens attachment if you want to use the full-4x3 panel's resolution when projecting 16x9.

I think that NEC goes typically around $3500 but I could be wrong. How much is the PJ you're looking at?

-dave :)

p.s. poke around avscience.com in their "digital projectors below $5K" forum and you'll get LOTS of info...

Craig Aguiar

Stunt Coordinator
I can pick the Knoll up for about $5000 canadian. The NEC would be about $7000. I agree the contrast ratio is low. Thanks for your great input.

Craig.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Craig,

this is one of those times when that extra $2K CAD is really worth the improvement. Trust me, I've seen MANY digital projetors and contrast/black level are KEY to an image that makes you go "ahhhh". Also, the increased res of the NEC 1000 will help quite a bit to reduce some pixel-visibility. That other projector will produce a big image...but it won't produce an image that satisfies you once you see any of the better digital projectors. Even compared to the best HD2 digital projetos...the NEC comes *really* close and will keep you happy for as long as you hold on to it and *that's* saying a lot.

If your budget can't budge (aren't I a smart alliterative writer?) then I'd *really* recommend you go with the Sony HS10. You'll get the same/better contrast *and* everything else will be *really* better...native 16x9, no rainbows, and full HD resolution. The Sony also does 3-2 pulldown for deinterlacing so the Faroudja chip won't be missed (and the NEC has the Faroudja chip as well).

Oh no...now I'm getting emotionally involved in your decision. Bad DaViD BAD!

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks