What's new

Knocked Up - discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
People always say that about films... "this movie 'borrows' or 'steals' this or that"...

How unique is an idea of an irresponsible slacker making a woman pregnant? It's not something so original that someone couldn't just think of it.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
It's the execution of a simple idea that makes Knocked Up both brilliant and unique.

Cheers,

Jason

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I just thought some of the bits reminded me a LOT of Simpsons segments, especially when Ben takes charge in the delivery room. I'm not claiming Up ripped off the series, but I thought some of those parallels were really close.

So does anybody have a rational explanation for all the Spidey 3 references? That's really puzzling me since the two flicks aren't from the same studio. Up goes out of its way to publicize Spidey - WHY???

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Probably just picked a movie that would be current to the time of the film's release (Spidey 3's release date was already known last summer when Knocked Up was being filmed) and also suitably must-see. I suppose they could have used a made up name but with all of the other real-film references (Munich isn't Universal either and that got an entire conversation in Knocked Up) I thought it was a good fit.

Universal doesn't have a whole lot of Spidey-like tentpoles for this summer that would have fit. Bourne Ultimatum maybe but I don't even think all of the contracts for that were signed when Knocked Up was filming.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

"Oh, by the way, congratulations on your new job, Homer"

"WHAT?! MARGE IS PREGNANT?! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Munich IS a Universal release!

Even if that wasn't the case, Munich came up as a reference in a pop culture way, not in a "let's go see that movie!" way. We got three or four "I wanna go see Spidey!" references, and I think none were necessary.

I guess I'm on my own here, but I thought that all the Spidey comments were odd, and not just because it's a different studio's flick. It actually distracted me...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, some of it - there was just so much that reminded me so closely of The Simpsons that I wondered if there was some influence there. And I don't think the delivery room scene - which is the one that most reminds me of The Simpsons - is remotely universal...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I understand that might be the reason a recent flick was chosen, but I remain puzzled by the filmmakers' choice to refer to it so damned much. I don't know if any of the references were necessary - not even when Alison talks to James Franco.

Plus, I think we hear about it through much of the flick, even though it takes place over nine months. Spidey ain't staying in theaters that long!

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I thought it was Dreamworks/Paramount.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I didn't catch the James Franco/Spiderman references. I do remember them mentioning it when Paul Rudd and his wife were having their fight but that was near the end of the pregnancy. Can't recall any other references but I do know that it never took me out of the movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, there was the Franco interview done by Alison - that mentions it.

Then there's the time that Ben's friends rush off to see Spidey.

Then there's the part where Pete mentions it to Debbie.

I think there's one other mention as well - I think Pete brings it up to Ben at one point, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't say these "took me out of the movie", but they did distract me. Look, I liked the flick - it's a bit of a mess, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and it's very entertaining. I just wondered if there was some really good explanation for all the Spidey references and hoped someone could tell me! Guess not - maybe the commentary will reveal all...

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Re:Munich
While Universal does own the USA home video rights, Dreamworks was also involved with the picture, hence the Dreamworks logo at the begining of the movie.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Therein lies your answer. James Franco got his start on "Freaks and Geeks" which Judd Apatow wrote and directed for. This is the show where Seth Rogen, Martin Starr (guy with the beard) and Jason Segel also got their starts. In short, these guys are all friends and Apatow and crew were just throwing out a little support to their friend.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My wife and I saw this movie yesterday and we really enjoyed it. It really felt like one of the most "real" movies about pregnancy I've ever seen, and brought back a lot of memories regarding our recent pregnancy.

Although some of the details may have been a little too real.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
When he said "Buy some pink ..." my wife gasped and said "Oh my god! I can't believe he said that!". That is arguably the most hurtful thing he could have said.

But, let me explain why the reconciliation made sense to me...
(1) It seemed that quite a lot time passes before they see each other again. Time heals. Period.
(2) The next time they speak is when she is in labor in the tub. She can't find the doctor and her sister is out of town, so she has NOBODY. It makes sense on a "human" level that she would call the father of her child. When he appears he says something like "I'm sorry for all the stuff I said ...", and she hushes him saying how she doesn't want any negativity in the room whey the baby is born. That was his attempt at the "the make up", but both of them were caught up in the moment so it never really went any farther. By the time the baby is born and things get back to normal, he has already redeemed himself. I think that makes perfect sense.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I know the connection between Franco and Apatow. I fully understand why Spidey comes up in that one interview scene. This still doesn't explain why it CONTINUES to come up through the rest of the movie.

C'mon - it's not like Spidey needed advertising from Knocked Up! I still think there's something screwy at work here...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Time for a new tin foil hat. :) You said it yourself, it's not like Sony needs to pay money to advertise Spider-Man in rival studios' movies so it's just something that they mentioned in the movie and nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks