What's new

Klipsch vs. PSB (1 Viewer)

Figures. As soon as I thought I knew what speakers I wanted for my 7.1 theater setup, I find the PSB's. So my question is, can anyone offer a comparison between Klipsch RB-35's and PSB 2B's? They would be hooked to a Denon 3803 and this would be used almost exclusively for home theater. Room is 12 x 21, low ceilings, plenty of carpet and furniture...a good room acoustically in my opinion. My original thought was Klipsch RB35's for fronts, side surrounds and rear surrounds and a Klipsch RC35 center. Now I'm wondering what a PSB setup would sound like using 2B's for fronts and all surrounds and a 9C for center The other option is 2B's for fronts, a 9C center and PSB S10's for all 4 surrounds, but even the B stock S10's are over $400pr.

Basically, as far as price goes, it would be around $450pr for the Klipsch RB35, or I can get PSB 2B's from yawaonline's B stock for about $260pr.

I know the old saying, I need to hear them for myself. I listened to the Klipsch today at Vann's, but they don't carry PSB, so any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. I like the Klipsch's when hooked to the Denon. How would PSB's sound with a Denon. Also, looks like PSB's are 4ohms min and 6 nominal. Would that work alright with the Denon 3803?

Thanks. If I need to supply any more info, please let me know. BTW, the sub would be HSU or SVS, not sure yet.

OPTION 1
fronts: Klipsch RB35
center: Klipsch RC35
surrounds: Klipsch RB35
rears: Klipsch RB35

OPTION 2
fronts: PSB 2B
center: PSB 9C
surrounds: PSB 2B
rears: PSB 2B

Note: This would be the preferred option if I had to pick between option 2 and 3 due to the lower cost of the 2B's compared to the S10's.

OPTION 3
fronts: PSB 2B
center: PSB 9C
surrounds: PSB 10S
rears: PSB 10S

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
As a PSB Dealer, the Klipsch and PSB WILL sound A LOT different. If you haven't heard PSB's before and do have access to go and listen to some Energy Speakers, than I'd recommend doing so. Energy's are the "closest" in sound to the PSB's that I can recommend. Though the PSB's do differ from Energy's of course, they offer deeper base extension...among other things, but if you need a frame of reference...that's my suggestion.

If you do decide to go PSB, here's what I'd suggest:

Fronts: PSB 2B
Center PSB 9C
Surrounds: PSB 10S
Rears: PSB 2B

I prefer direct radiating rears over dipole/bipole configurations.

Let me know if I can help! Have fun!

Erik, it's funny because that arrangement you suggested is what I was just considering, as far as using s10 surrounds and 2B rears. I wish I could listen to some, but I'm not sure who has any near me. On the other hand, anything has to sound better than the $60 Pioneers I bought at Wal-Mart 15 years ago. I dunno, these PSB's are definite qualifiers, and that $260 price tag as compared to over $400 for the Klipsch makes quite an impact as well. More opinions from everyone, please.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Along the lines of one of my other threads, it is possible that the Klipsh might be more efficienct. I've never heard the Klipsh, so I can't comment. I have PSB Image 6T fronts, Mirage 400 sub, 9C centre and 2B surrounds. Plays loud and clean with Marantz SR6200 receiver. Works for me.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
ChrisPC, the PSB's are typically accross the board a 90+ db effeciency rating....so in essence, very easy to run. Klipsch also have a very high sensitivity as well, in the 90+ range. Depending on what one is comparing, the Klipsch might be more efficient, but at 90+ db's for both lines, no one should have any problems running them with almost any amplifier.

MarcUR

Grip
Chris, when buying speakers the main two I looked at were the PSB 4Ts and the Klipsch RF 15s. Both have a unique sound that is very different from each other. Initially I preferred the Klipsch, probably because that is a sound that I was used to after having the promedia 2.1 for computer speakers. The more I listened, the more I realized that the PSBs were more accurate and better reproduced sounds more naturally. I ended up going with the PSB 5Ts (along with the 8C and 1Bs for surround), as I decided I need a little more bass than the 4T offered. You may like the Klipsch better, they definitely sound more lively and in your face, but I don't feel that they are very accurate.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator
I just demoed the 2Bs today and liked them quite a bit although they are not at the top of my list. The dealer had them setup with the 10s surrounds and a Klipsch center channel (believe it or not, he had the 9C setup as the center for some Klipsch towers). The 2Bs are very good speakers in terms of detail and the 10S is a very good surround.

I may try to take a listen to the 4 or 5 towers in a place with a proper setup. Even though I liked the PSBs, they did not move past the Monitor Audio Bronze or KEF Q series which are my front-runners with B&W 602s kind of growing on me.

Bob

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
PSB is weird because they have so many models using the same drivers. You could do so many things. Its a matter of choosing speakers with either the 6.5" or 5 1/4" mid drivers and matching them all. With the 6.5" woofers, you could go with 5T or 6T fronts, or, all 2B's with a 9C centre, maybe a 9C rear centre, though I'd prefer two 2B's. You could go with all 1B's, 3LR's or 4T's in the front with 3LRS in the rear, all with an 8C centre. There's also the 10S surrounds. It all comes down to budget, space, and power, bass levels desired without a subwoofer. I bought the largest, most efficient and deepest bas handling 6T's. Though they are big, and I'm open to change, they have done well so far. Doesn't sound like anything is straining too hard in my setup and the sound quality is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks