What's new

Klipsch RW-10d reviews? (1 Viewer)

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
What have you guys heard about the Klipsch RW-10d powered subwoofer?

I am looking at nice subwoofers and can get this for $330, which it retails at $550. Has anyone here had any experience with Klipsch subwoofers? I have also been looking at the Klipsch Synergy 12"/10" sub, and also a KSW12 sub. Anyone know how the RW-10d compares to each of these? Theoretically, with the higher retail price, it would be better? Can anyone confirm this?

Quick replys would be helpful, as I won't have access to this at this price for awhile.

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
What do you mean an internet direct sub? Do you mean off of the internet? This deal IS online

gpgab97

Grip
Real Name
Who Flung Poo
If you are trying to complete an existing theater arrangement I'd stick with the Klipsch. My father uses a lot of Klipsch gear and has the RW-10D in a set up with RF82's and a rc-62 center. The punch it delivers is great, you can feel it in your gut, and timbre matched for most of the RF line from what i have heard. As far as the price goes, sure you'll get an excellent deal from SVS or Dayton..ect. but if its sound matching/decor you are after i'd go for the RW-10d. Stay away from the synergy stuff if you already have a good foot in the door with higher end towers/surrounds as they are an entry level offering and won't add the dynamics(or digital control and calibration) to your movies as well as their reference lineup.

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
I don't have any klipsch speakers, just the sony ones that came with my reciever. They are plenty loud for our small room, so I just need the big punch of a good sub.

Any links for SVS, HSU, ElementalDesigns, or any other internet direct sub? Im looking around $300-$350

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
alright thanks

Which would you choose for a 12'x14'-ish room?

and how do these ones compare to the Klipsch RW-10d

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
12 X 14 isn't a very big room. Just about any sub I mentioned would be over-kill in a room that small, except the ES-8. Most others would disagree with that, though. They really like sub woofers around here.

The ED A2-250 looks real good on paper. Says it goes down to 18 hz. But it's 24"s deep and only goes up to 100 hz so make sure your other speakers can go down at least that low.

The Dayton ES 10 is a pretty good sub for the price, my brother has one, but the enclosure is pretty big for a 10" sub.

The ES-8 is only $99 but goes to 30 hz and won't take up too much space. But I don't think it can compete with the others, including the Klipsch. It would be enough sub for me in a room that size but probably not for you and certainly not for anyone else around here.

If you have the space I'd give the ED 250 the first look followed by the ES-10.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i can't compare the internet direct subs to the klipsch because i haven't listened to them. but i have listened to a few klipsch subs and the better ones were just overpriced for their sound and the worse ones were unlistenable. of course this is all subjective. also you generally don't have to worry about timbre matching subs at all. yes, one sub may sound better with a given system than another but you do not have the same issues as timbre matching the front three speakers.

any of the internet direct companies mentioned make good products. also in your price range and very good values at $300 for either are the Monitor audio ASW100 or PSB Sub series 5i both from saturdayaudio.com. the differences between the two are not huge. the PSB has a bit more punch and I'd give it the edge for feel it in the gut power or for a movie heavy setup or a larger room. for me i prefer the ASW100. it's a small black cube with plenty of power for a small room like yours as long as you're not trying to set spl records. i like it's slight edge in musicality over the PSB based on comparisons i did over 3 years ago on these same models at higher prices. (i ultimately chose the ML dynamo which happens to be on sale for $470 now.) you should try to listen to something before you buy if you can, just as a reference. if you don't have a good independent audio dealer nearby, the magnolia section at a best buy can be a good alternative.

good luck

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=303-432

shat about this sub

it goes from 23-180 hz

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
Alright, my roommate in the house has an elemental design sub. Ill go see what his sounds likes to get comparison.

EDIT*

Well he actually has the A2-300 and it sounds pretty good, and it wasn't even turned up that loud.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You ask about subs you have never heard and the entire time your roommate had a quality sub?!?!

The A2-300 uses a quality driver and amp in a properly designed enclosure. Unless you have all of the tools, it's difficult to beat by going DIY and building the enclosure.

-Robert

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
well i do have a klipsck rpw-10 at home, thus why i was looking at klipsch speakers

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm still puzzled that you didn't know what your roommate had. I knew that my roommate had a Charvelle guitar with Ernie Ball 'super slinky' strings and a Crate G40C amp with Celestion drivers. He didn't have a stereo in his room. My other roommate had a Panasonic system with a record player and 8-track recorder. I had a similar model with a cassette recorder.

That was a few years ago.

Klipsch makes good to great speakers depending on the product line. They make average subs for the money you pay.

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
roommate as live in my house but not room. there are 21 rooms

and i knew he had elemental design but we just started talking about them

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I shared a house with 3 other guys and then a second house with 5 other guys. We each had our own room. The only time we shared a room was spring break when we squeezed 7 guys in each room of a Best Western. Your situation sounds like a frat house so I understand. It took a while to learn about my brothers but I did. I passed both the oral and written tests.

imp3r10

Agent
Real Name
Kyle Rabine
well i orderd my elemental design A2-300 but its still awaiting production. He says that they get back ordered alot.

gpgab97

Grip
Real Name
Who Flung Poo
What do you mean you don't have to match timbre with floor standers? You have to at least do some listening before purchasing if you are serious about SQ. Not even the best subs out there will perform in harmony with the mass market (if they cannot calibrate themselves or through a receiver). If you want a boomy, overly bass heavy response from a internet only producer then buy and don't try. I have never heard of such a claim and i would never recommend a sub that doesn't compliment the tone or character of any system ( not to mention size or decor) before integrating into a home without at least a demo. You are buying blind, and no one else has your ears or taste or room to tell you any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks