What's new

Klipsch RSW-15 or SVS PB1-ISD or PB2-ISD HELP! (1 Viewer)

I can't seem to decide, I thought i had narrowed it down to SVS PB1-ISD or PB2-ISD. The size of the PB2 is holding me off, and feel the PB1 may not be enough for my 6000 cubic foot HT room. Subwooferinfo.com has good spl specs on the RSW-15. The RSW-15 is smaller than the PB2 and would fit better. PB1 600.00, PB2 900.00 RSW-15 900.00 plus on the net. Would the RSW-15 be a good alternative between the 2 SVS models for both size and performance. I would love to make a decision today.
Thank you for your input.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Get an SVS. B&M subs for the same price cannot match them. In your room the PB2-1sd is the bare minimum. 6000 cubes is huge. Sheesh, in a room that size, the size of the SVS is holding you off?????

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The RSW-15 can really belt it out above 30 Hz, and it sounds damn good doing it, too. In that size room it will definitely outperform a PB1-ISD at all frequencies above 30 Hz.

Below 30 Hz the RSW-15 takes a nosedive and really can't deliver the goods in the 20-30 Hz bandwidth.

The PB2-ISD will level up the playing field in the output department above 30 Hz, and will also definitely outperform the RSW-15 below 30 Hz, providing solid extension to 22-23 Hz in the stock tune, and to 17-18 Hz in the 20 Hz tune.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
And given Klipsch's new found aggressiveness towards net sales, I think the price Troy is quoting is illusory, unless he's talking very, very grey market goods or very, very used. Heck, they list for $1800.

Edward,

Thank you, The way you put it makes perfect sense, I need to ignore the wife factor and pull the trigger on the PB2. I was trying to get the best of both worlds, good performance in a decent size sub and wife acceptance. Thanks again.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
my rsw15 doesn't nosedive until 25Hz. in fact, it's 25Hz output is slightly above it's 30Hz output.

that said, i probably wouldn't consider it unless you really can get it for the price you quote. doubtful it even compares to the pb2's movie performance, though.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Secrets Of HT & HF Review

Hi Scott:

This is the review I based that comment on. Of course, there might be other reviews that show a better FR for the RSW-15.

Weatherhead's room definitely showed a peaky response in the 30-35 Hz region which affected every sub tested. But below 32 Hz, the RSW-15 definitely heads south with extreme prejudice (at least in Weatherhead's room).

Here's some quotes from his review of the RSW-15:

"...I was shocked that the sub didn't play better than it did below 30 Hz."

"The sub also performed very respectably at 30 Hz. Unfortunately, it rolled off so sharply under 30 Hz, it only scored a Shake Value: 2.4. The sub did play all material that was thrown at it, but just didn't belt out the

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
oh, i know. i'm pretty familiar with that review. and i've examined my sub's output in that region as best i could, and by all the methods i have available (radio shack spl meter and various calibration cds and dvds), and my (uncorrected, even) 25Hz output is 1 or 2 dB above it's 30Hz output.

as you know, i got the rsw15 from a dealer who was willing to take back a sub that i was unhappy with, and that was beyond it's return grace period, in exchange for the rsw15 (and more cash, of course). under different circumstances, i do not think i would have gotten the rsw15.

trust me, i'm not about to push my sub on anyone. i love it. it works for me, but i'd never tell someone to get it over another one that i've never even experienced. and i've never even heard an sVs. and like i've said before, i'm sure they're awe inspiring.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I don't doubt your findings; room gain could easily account for your sub hanging in there until 25 Hz. In my room, my sub is +10 dB @ 22-27 Hz as compared to the average 40-100 Hz level. Gotta love that room gain.... :)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i do. i don't trust any of this stuff. i've seen some weird stuff when measuring both my sub, my speakers, and my sub+speakers. i quit doing it. it was beginning to drive me sorta crazy.

dave alan

Second Unit
Subwoofer 25-62Hz average 20Hz 25Hz

Klipsch RSW-15 112dB 97dB 112dB

Looks like Tom Nousaine has the RSW-15 hanging in there to below 25 Hz.

Corner loaded in 6K cubes, it's probably flat (+/-3dB) to 23 Hz.

Of course, it definitely 'nosedives' after that. Looks like a HP filter at 20 Hz.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Sound and Vision, May-2002.

maximum clean output, 20hz-97dB
25-63hz average-112dB

There is no text indicating 25hz output capabilities.

Frequency Response: 48-115hz, +/- 2.1dB If you "eyeball" the Nousaine response chart...the curve is down 15dB by about 30hz(compared to 80hz). This does correspond to what Brian Weatherhead measured.

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks