Klipsch or Axiom?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeMorris, Apr 19, 2005.

1. MikeMorris

MikeMorris Auditioning

I have narrowed down my choices for a new 7.1 system. It is going to be Klipsch or Axiom. The bad thing is I haven’t heard either of the actual systems I would be buying. There is a local Klipsch dealer and they are in the process of moving so no setup except for a room of heritage speakers and some surrounds. Of course these sounded great but for +2k apiece they should. As for Axiom, amazingly there was someone in the area that purchased them but I have been unable to contact them in anyway.

Now as to the systems I am looking at:
    Code:
     KlipschAxiom
     -------------------------------------------------
     MainRF-35M50
     CenterRC-35VP100
     SurroundRS-35QS4
     SubRW-12EP175

After comparing the specs, it appears that Klipsch out performs in each speaker. Both of these systems are going to run around 2k. The local Klipsch dealer offered 20% off MSRP. Is this a good deal on Klipsch speakers? Of course I could buy from brandnamez (34%) and toss the warranty but don’t think the savings are worth it.

I have already purchased the receiver, Pioneer 1014.

Secondly, I am still up in the air about the subwoofer. I am thinking about going with an SVS. I would also like to get some opinions on 1 (better sub) or 2 (good subs).

Lastly, the room these speakers are going in is 13x25x8.

Thanks for any help.

2. John S

John S Producer

I like the sound of Axioms better. It's just a subjective thing, especially on dialog, but I don't do center specific speakers in general, I like the same exact speaker in all locations.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I think you need to get out to listen to some speakers before you decide on any such two brands... Your really limiting yourself here and taking some chances. There are both B&M brands and internet brands that can spank both of the above and probably for less money. But then your ears have to be the judge and in the end its your money.

4. Mike^S

Mike^S Stunt Coordinator

Care to list some of these brands that would "spank" them for less money?

5. MikeWHA

MikeWHA Extra

Mike
    I'm in a similar boat. I have the Pio 1014 and an SVS 20-39 sub but am still looking at speakers. I say "still" because I just finshed a 30 day in home demo of both the Klipsch (RF35, RC35 and RB35s) and the Onix Rockets 550 package. After being torn between the two for the whole month, I decided that the Rockets were too warm and the Klipsch were too harsh. I ended up returning both. Now, the Klipsch were no problem to return but the Rockets set me back shipping both ways to a tune of close to $400. Am now looking for something in between. Still want something towards the brighter side but perhaps a little less bright than Klipsch. I am now considering Axiom (free one-way shipping), Aperion (free two-way shipping) and Ascend (inexpensive shipping.) Have checked out Def Tek, Paradigm, Polk, Infintiy, JBL and Boston and ruled each out for specific reasons. Still want to audition Energy. This is just my experience but I would warn to consider re-shipping costs in any online purchase if you dont like them. Incidentally, I got the Klipsch at 25% off.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I remember having the Klipsch C-7 center in the house at the same time as a few other brands including the Rocket Bigfoot.

I found Klipsch warmer as I moved up the line, but still retaining its brighter/precise characteristics. The Bigfoot was a beautiful speaker to look at though.[​IMG] All subjective isn't it??

7. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 or CMT-340 would IMHO, especially the 340 center channel. Especially when used with a Hsu or SVS sub, much better value for your money than any speaker-company sub.

The only disadvantage with the Ascends is that the 170s are not particularly attractive-looking, though their sound is amazing.

I am not a fan of Klipsch, the low to mid level ones are harsh and muffled-sounding, the high end ones are shrill.

To be honest I have not heard the Axioms myself but from my experience with other speakes that also have aluminum woofers and titanium tweeters, I would anticipate them having good detail at moderate volumes but becoming overly bright and fatiguing at higher volumes.

8. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

I have Klipsch F3's and I like them. One thing I noticed that the "harsh" sound I think depends on the receiver that is used with them. I didn't like the pioneer with klipsch but yamaha was better, and HK was even better(this is at 0db on each receivers, which is quite LOUD). Just my 2 cents.

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I own the Klipsch F3's - and have the Harman Kardon 635 to drive them (warm, refined amp). Love them.

Also have a pair of Chorus II's (Klipsch) that are BIG - 15" woofers, horn mid and tweet. I do not find them bright - just alive.

I listened to some Martin Logan Clarity's, they they sounded dead to me (the mids were FANTASTIC and I would love to own them, but they were TOO refined and laid back.)

You just need to try them out. You will not go wrong with Klipsch, Axiom, or any 'established' brand.

10. Mike^S

Mike^S Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s with an SVS PB10. I used to have a pair of Axiom m2i. Although I think the Ascends are better in some ways I wouldn't say that they spank the Axioms. Oh well, that's just me I guess.

11. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Himanshu,

I'm surprised that you liked the Klipsch with a Yamaha receiver because I've always been told that pairing a bright speaker with a bright receiver is bad news. It makes sense that they'd go well with an H/K though.

Oh well, we probably just have different definitions and preferences of "bright."

12. John S

John S Producer

The most recent Yamaha AVR's are not as bright as they used to be. I would call them warm or even nuetral, but not near as bright as they previously were, so the game has sort of changed on Yamaha stuff.

13. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

The less expensive Yamahas are bright... you get into the (what they call the pro models.. sorry forgot the name they use, used to be DSP) they are a lot softer and are quite good but expensive.

14. Carl P

Carl P Extra

Wharever the speaker setup, go with the SVS sub. Carl

15. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with the people who say to go out and listen. By the sounds of it you have not heard any of these speakers or any others. Why did you choose these two brands? I would certainly go out and listen listen and listen some more. That is half the fun. If you choose to go Axioms than I would not buy the whole package. If you don't like them the return shipping will kill the wallet. Buy the mains first. I would also second the buying a different sub recommendation. There are a lot of great subs out there other than SVS as well. Auditions subs just like any other speaker. Another great internet brand would be Hsu. I am torn myself between Hsu and SVS. I am probably going the Hsu route but they both are fantastic. Best of luck to you.

16. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Evan,

Just curious, how/why are you opting for the Hsu over the SVS?

I am not upgrading my sub for many months but will be facing the same dilemma. I read somebody's head to head comparison of the SVS and Hsu who claimed that the SVS narrowly won, other than that have found nothing to shed light on this.

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

SVS and HSU are both great subs. I think SVS now has though a bit more of a selection with their new wood colors and such. I am biased of course since I have an SVS and think they rock. PB2+Ultra.... Love it...

18. Ron T

Ron T Stunt Coordinator

I also consider Ascend to be the best sounding of the internet speaker companies. Perform way above their price.

19. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

Mike,

I have an Axiom setup and I have auditioned the M50s in my home. If your looking for a laid back speaker, the 50s are a good choice. But, if your looking for detail in a speaker and you want to purchase towers for the front, the M60s would be the way to go. I am basing this on my audition of the M22s and the M50s side by side. The M50s were dull compared to the M22s.

20. MikeMorris

MikeMorris Auditioning

I would like to clarify something. I have auditioned a number of different systems. I just haven't auditioned the exact Klipsch setup I am looking at buying due to budget (aprox. 2-2.5k). However I do like the sound of all Klipsch systems I have heard.

The number of true home theater stores is really limited in this area. I could find more options by driving 60 miles and I may end up doing just that.

I chose Axiom because they fit my budget and all the reviews I can find are positive. But I really don't want to get into this order online, pay shipping charges to return, etc...

Also, I would not consider myself an audio aficionado so I probably will not be able to distinguish a lot of the characteristics pointed out on this board.

Thanks for all the input.