What's new

Kitchen Nightmares Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I know there are some compulsive Gordon Ramsay watchers here... so who else caught the "Kitchen Nightmares Revisited" special Thursday night that evidently kicks off the new season?

I like that they've taken another good idea from the UK counterpart of the show, going back to the restaurants to see how things are going a year later. It was nice to see that Ramsay actually made an impact on these places, and also nice to see Gordon lighten up a bit! I hope this is an indication they'll be lighter on the reality show theatrics this season, but this is Fox we're talking about...

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, we only got the first half shown in my timezone due to the convention. I set to record 2 hours, but the second half wasn't shown until after the evening news. The tv guide had it wrong. :frowning:

How did the Indian Roach place do when went back? Did they mention the lawsuit?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
No mention of lawsuits. Everyone seemed peachy at all the restaurants. It was a veritable Gordon Ramsay love-fest. :laugh:

The whole two-hour show is available for viewing at Fox.com

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Woohoo for on-demand.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I got to see the second half. And you are right, it made it seem like Gordon is a god. LOL

The previews for this season made it look like he found even worse places to tackle. It also looks like he got someone arrested for something. Probably just fancy editing as usual.

Looking forward to the new season.

Spero D

Second Unit
Man there was a lot of editing going on their as I know a lot of restaurant owners weren't happy with the editing of their respective restaurants and what occured and that was probably edited out of this one to make it a Gordon love fest. Apparently the UK version that he does is better as it doesn't rely on the dramtics, music, editing, and fights and focuses more on the changes he puts in place.

Also interesting that Gordon didn't turn up to the last one probably because that guy (the brother who turned up in ther new Merc) hasn't changed. Still looks like he's full of himself. Would of loved Gordon to give him another serving.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yep, you're exactly right. I recently caught an episode on the BBC channel on DISH. It's pretty much like a documentary.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
They show the BBC version almost nightly here in Canada on the Food Network, and I agree that it is better. I still enjoy the American version, however.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
They didn't show all of the restaurants from last year either. I was waiting on that one pizza place in California where the guy wanted to be franchised. If I remember, he went back to his old menu the minute Ramsay left.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
As others have said, this is absolutely true. If it weren't for the UK show, I wouldn't even bother with the Americanized version. As I like to tell people, the UK show makes Gordon look like a human being. :D

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Very true. The UK version is infinitely better than Fox's offering, but I still watch the American version anyway just because I enjoy watching Ramsay.

It will be the same with Top Gear. There's no way the show NBC is cooking up will come close to the UK version, but I'll probably watch it anyway since I love cars.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The first regular episode of the season was on last night - The Handlebar on Long Island.

I could see the trademarks of the Fox-ified "Kitchen Nightmares," but it felt like it was taking more inspiration from the UK series. Gordon was very patient, which (if you think about it) was pretty amazing considering a chef who has little interest in being a chef and a stubborn owner/manager who was very complacent and was ready to write Ramsay off. Gordon got angry at the guy, but he was very firm and direct without flying off the handle. There were some very nice moments with Gordon and the staff and Gordon and the owner's wife, where we could feel that he was working with and inspiring them rather than just getting angry. That's the kind of thing I always liked in the UK show.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Didn't it look like Gordon had blood running down his finger when he was showing the sludge? Was that just some red sludge, or Blood?

I would hate to put a open, bleeding cut into that sludge. Who knows what is growing in it.

I agree that he was much more patient than I would have expected. I have to think that the Chef had to have had more conversations with Gordon than were shown. It is hard to believe he would have even worked with her after she said she didn't want to be a chef.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
That was definitely blood. He must have cut himself pretty bad reaching into the dark corners of that walk in fridge.

The owner of the Handlebar was such a whiny little baby. He's lucky he has a wife who is so committed to the business.

I was surprised that they didn't show Gordon returning some months later to check up on how things went after he left. I wonder if this was a one time only thing or if they plan not to do those return updates this entire season. That would be too bad. The epilogues at the end of the episodes were a standard part of all his past seasons.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Anybody else notice Mick Foley as one of the guests at the re-opening? I'm a little surprised they didn't give any face time or even point out that it was him.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Yep I noticed Mick as well. It was one of those "is that who I think it is?" moments.

I thought it was pretty cool that Dee Snider helped with the promotion of the relaunch. The Harley that was offered for auction is still up on eBay for bidding until the 21st, and looking over the menu posted on the restaurant's website, it looks like they didn't change much from what Gordon helped them with.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I love Ramsey! I've seen all his BBC and Fox shows... This season is fun.

Oh, and the "j. willy's" episode was filmed in my town... I've never been there, but I heard it was actually better before the chef came into town. heh.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I fell asleep in the middle. Did they successfully make it through the service with the new menu after struggling a bit in the beginning?

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark

LOL. I haven't watched it yet but one of these times they are going to fool us and not make it. You have such a way of stating these things.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
It was actually good (I hope you DVRd it so you can watch it) - one of the main staff guys started to blame everything on Ramsey, and ended up leaving in a huff.

There was no follow up on what happened to this guy. I was hoping they would show him being fired...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks