What's new

Kitchen countertops...oops! (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Somehow, somebody managed to scald/burn a circle into a kitchen countertop (not FORMICA, just the cheaper board with a laminate top) via a boiling pot of water. The outer laminate is crispy with a new shade of brown and starting to peel. Is there any way to just fix the laminate and not replace the whole counter? Could you cut out the peeling part and somehow glue a new laminate in nicely? It's a fairly new (1 year perhaps?) job so the countertop should still be recent... Now why would somebody design a countertop that can't take heat from a boiling glass teapot on top of a cloth tablemap is beyond me.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Eric Scott

Second Unit
My orginal warranty, warned me you not to put anything on the countertop warmer than a hot woman!
crazy.gif

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The simplest route would be to cut out the spot with a rounte....say 12" and add a single tile....make it a hotplate.
Brent L

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Brent, that sounds like a good idea..... Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe even my sister can make the tiles as she's a pretty good artist who likes that kind of stuff...
Certainly cheaper than buying a whole new countertop (one piece jobber)
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Jim_F

Screenwriter
You can buy a "surface saver"-a section of butcher block or tempered glass which comes with a retainer ring like a cheap steel sink. You just cut out the hole and clamp it in with the ring. Should be available at a place like Home Depot or a do-it-yourself kitchen store.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We installed a tempered glass cutting surface in the kitchen counter at our Myrtle Beach condo rental property to hide an area that renters had damaged with cutting knives. It looks great and is very functional.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks