What's new

Kit / DIY main speakers (1 Viewer)

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Looking to upgrade my current front main speakers. Over the past few months I've built a few DIY subs and all completely overpower my current mains all be it not a hard thing to do as they are paradigm mini monitors. So I am looking at doing a kit or DIY front stage that will supply me with anything better than I have know. The one thing about going DIY on this is the crossovers. Never built one nor put one together so to me that is a big hiccup. So that being said I guess I'd like to start there. Driver size not limited but would like to stay at 8" or under. Don't mind doing multiples in a single enclosure. Tweeters? I see a lot of ribbon tweeters don't know on that either. So I guess I'm starting on a blank page. I guess this is another go around for me as it was when I started the DIY sub thing. All the input on those projects was a great learning experince and I'd like to carry that over to this project. I guess it's a little contagious. I started the sub to save a little money but that didn't happen. I built one then Wanted to one up it than one up it again so something I started to save a little probably cost me about 10x more than buying one. So let me know you thoughts on kits or ground up build. Thanks.

Doug Hess

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Doug Hess
Hi, Byron. DIY projects like this are never about saving money, they're about the fun and education, right? I remember Hafler used to offer a few of their amps as kits, and if you valued your time at any more than $.50/hr. you were losing money. Still, it was a blast to do and even more fun to listen to what you made. And the chicks dig it. Okay, that last one might not be entirely true. To start off, have you ever considered going with something like the kits at Parts Express? They'll solve the crossover problem, and I've been impressed with the couple I've heard. I think you're more advanced than this, but it might be a great way to put your toe in the pool. Whatcha think? -Doug

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Yeah it has been fun! Wasn't planning it that way when I decided to take on the first project but when the bug hits you just want something more or something different. Heck I'm in the process of modeling up another sub project and deciding on a driver at the current time again. I guess it's a good think I have a bunch of friends so I have a place for the outdated ones to go because they'd be taking up a lot of space in the basement. On the PE I've looked there and thought about going that route. Maybe that would be a way to go for a first project on the speaker side till I get some educations on what to look for. Let me ask does anyone see a need to make these active versus passive. I was thinking of adding a plate type amp to the enclosure so each speaker has its own power supply. Not sure if its worth it or what the pros and come would be on this.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've built a few DIY subs and all completely overpower my current mains all be it not a hard thing to do as they are paradigm mini monitors.
That is a calibration issue then. You mains could be those 1" iPad speakers but with proper calibration, an 18" sub would not overpower them.
The one thing about going DIY on this is the crossovers. Never built one nor put one together so to me that is a big hiccup.
As long as you aren't designing one, you are fine. It's just basic soldering. You can learn that in an hour after watching a You Tube video. Designing crossovers requires measuring hardware and software along with a pretty steep learning curve. I bought my first DIY speaker book from Radio Shack back in 1986 and I still don't feel comfortable designing my own crossover.
So I guess I'm starting on a blank page.
Go to Parts Express and look at their project showcase of speakers. If you sort with oldest first, I use the Dayton III.
Let me ask does anyone see a need to make these active versus passive.
I don't. A good passive crossover can do wonders to the sound. If you go active, you still have to take into account driver interaction, differences in sensitivity and any odd impedance fluctuations in the response.

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Good piece of info on the calibration. That's what I have thought but that brings up a different issue as I may be limited on what I can do with my receiver as it is a bit older I know I'm due for an upgrade but that is a little lower on my audio list. Its a sony str-k502p. Maybe it shouldn't be! Ideas on upgrade?? I'll hit the PE site and take a look. I have the ability to solder and have the equipment for it just been a little Hesitant as like anything else it's new.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not to mention if you went active speakers... Your AVR needs pre-outs...cause all you need the AVR for is to be a pre-pro. I haven't "built" a speaker since one of those Tandy 8-Track speaker "boombox" things. You actually had to put the 8 track slide together...but the tape head was already together. I'm with Robert here first though...you need to calibrate the system.

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Just through out the active thing earlier as maybe just a food for thought. Don't really have an intention of going that route just wanted to pick some brains a little. The avr has all that and a lot of calibration adjustments in it. All the frequency adjustments gain adjustments etc. maybe I should spend a little more time with that. It's a little older but alot to play around with. The real down fall is I bought it with ought doing some research and being knowledgeable so it really doesn't put out 100 x 5 but more like 100 x 2 and if I add the surrounds and center kind of spreads that 2 channel power around. So I learned something there. So I am up for suggestions on that if we have some

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks