Kino's _The General_

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by BrianSiano, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BrianSiano

BrianSiano Auditioning

DVD Beaver's got some screencaptures of the upcoming Blu-Ray... and my GAHD, it looks fabulous. Kino must have done a fresh hi-def scan for the Blu-Ray.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/thegeneral.htm

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Wow! Bravo, Kino!

3. blimey

blimey Extra

No, actually the HD mastered was created last year for the Ultimate Edition DVD of The General by Kino. That DVD was already the best version for DVD and has been available around for a year. I wonder why so many people don't even know about it. Now this Blu-ray is using the same HD master but in 1080p so the winner is almost a predictably secured one.

4. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

Blimey, have you seen the French DVD - there is no contest between it and the Kino - it wins in every department. I'm buying the Kino, but am praying the MK2 comes to Blu-Ray with the fabulous Joe Hisaishi score. So, have you seen the French DVD, and if not, how can you make a statement that the Kino was already the best version? Just curious.

5. blimey

blimey Extra

Of course I saw the MK2 version (I owned it actually), and I'm aware that it involved digital clean-up which the Kino DVD/BD lack. But the MK2 version is unbearable for me because it doesn't have the tint, which I think is a crucial part of the film presentation and it's like a TF2 disc without audio track to me.

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Hmm... I feel like I'm seeing edge enhancement on the new blu-ray. Not sure I like it.

7. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

Different strokes, I suppose. Seeing it without the tint was a revelation for me and much more pleasing. As was the image in general.

8. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

"Different strokes, I suppose. Seeing it without the tint was a revelation for me and much more pleasing. As was the image in general. "

I preffer it without the tint too,but it just might be the way I set up my TV

9. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    The wife's gonna roll her eyes when my order of the Blu-ray comes in (you bought another version of The General?!"). I have all the versions Beaver used for comparison, plus laserdisc versions. I already liked Kino's "ultimate" DVD version the best. It was not as digitally cleaned up as the French MK2 version (a few specks remain), but the print used was quite good, and it had the magnificent Carl Davis score. As I've said on other threads, I did not like the new score for the MK2 version. It was nice music, but IMO did not fit the film.

However, the MK2 version had some great extras, including 1965's The Railrodder and Buster Keaton Rides Again (a doc on making The Railrodder--actually more interesting than The Railrodder). The new Blu-ray apparently ports over the same lame extras from the Kino DVD, so the MK2 version is still a keeper for me for disc 2.

10. BrianSiano

BrianSiano Auditioning

Are you sure? the DVD screen caps on the DVDBeaver site include the old Kino DVD. And even allowing for the difference in resolution, the Kino Blu-Ray seems to be a _severe_ leap in terms of grain, quality, and detail. It just doesn't look like the same transfer at all.

Quote:

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    DVD Beaver only has the original Kino DVD, not the 2-disc remaster.

I'm pleased to see Kino put so much care into The General. Hopefully this is a successful release and more silents can get the Blu treatment. Steamboat Bill Jr, Sherlock Jr, Seven Chances, and College seem to have terrific film elements available. Imagine having Intolerance and some Melies shorts in HD...

12. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Re: future Kino releases.

The newly restored Metropolis is just now getting theatrical releases in South America (where the lost footage was discovered) and Europe. They'll be releasing the Blu-ray (and new DVD) at some point next year.

IMO, I could see them releasing the following silent classics they have US distribution rights to over the next couple years, pending worthy film elements:

Battleship Potemkin
    The Birth of a Nation
    The Black Pirate
    Blind Husbands
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    Foolish Wives
    The Golem
    Intolerance
    It
    The Last Laugh
    The Navigator
    Nosferatu
    Steamboat Bill, Jr.
    The Thief of Bagdad

They have rights to other Lang, Keaton, Murnau, Griffith, von Stroheim, etc., but they aren't as well known as the ones I listed.

They also have US rights to the following international films:

Come and See
    Dersu Uzala
    Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears

13. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I thought so initally, but then I enlarged the capture and I don't think so. I think what we're seeing are haloing caused by the optics rather than EE. Generally speaking, when you see EE, you can zoom in on it and see noise surrounding it. I'm not seeing that here.