Kino Press Release: Buster Keaton's Sherlock Jr (1924) and Three Ages (1923) on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

[​IMG]

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Looking forward to more Keaton on Blu. (And Th Black Pirate!), Keep up the good work Kino.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Anyone else pick this up?

I watched Sherlock Jr. last night. Another A+ silent Blu-Ray from Kino. There is a fair amount of dirt and scratches, but the image quality is great. Sharp and detailed. I did notice an odd artifact around contrasting edges where "chunky" film grain seemed to appear, but there's no evidence of DVNR. It's probably light nitrate decomposition. The two restored shots are from lesser film sources. One is 16mm patched in to fix a continuity gap (Buster walking up to the screen - the previous DVD starts the shot at him mid-way through the aisle), the other seems to be 35mm dupe of Keaton pulling off another great pool gag. The new Mont Alto score is excellent, even compared to the Club Foot score. The canned jazz score isn't terrible, but barely synchronized.

Three Ages is 1080i, but it's clearly a remaster. There's a lot of nitrate decomposition and damage, but the image quality underneath is quite good. It's nice that Kino brough it to Blu-Ray warts and all instead of keeping it as DVD-only. The real surprise is the bonus Griffith short Man's Genesis from a stellar HD transfer in 1080i.

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Good to hear Patrick. We are stil awaiting our review copies.

5. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    This is a lot better than the disappointing bluray of Steamboat Bill Jr. I haven't been able to watch Sherlock Jr on DVD because the clubfoot orchestra soundtrack is so aggressively wrongheaded. Finally, this film has a decent audio track. It doesn't have as much Mickey Mousing as I prefer in a comedy film, but it's good background music. The Jay Ward track is unlistenable. I dont know why they included it. Bad sound. The Robert Israel score to Three Ages is top notch. Great transfers on both films, although Three Ages is a little rough at the ends of the reels. I'm up for more silents on bluray.

6. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

My main problem with Steamboat Bill Jr. was that a lot of it looked bright and washed out. Is that what you mean? I found that I could overcome it a good deal by adjusting the gamma (I'm using my projector's user presets for a range of gamma settings); trouble is, it's inconsistent, so one setting doesn't work for the whole film.

7. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    The picture was too bright as you say. But the music was a problem too. It rarely seemed in sync, and the one place that Keaton calls for a specific song- The Prisoner's Song- was totally missed. Keaton was showing the lyrics and singing a song that wasn't on the soundtrack. Inexcusable. The DVD in the Keaton box set looks better and the music is a million times better in every way.

8. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Though I picked up both The General and Sherlock, Jr. on Blu-ray, I passed on Steamboat Bill, Jr. I never saw it for a good price (aside from Deep Discount-where it was perpetually on backorder). Also, I have the region 2 Cinema club DVD set (which includes Three Ages and College). Steamboat Bill, Jr. looked pretty darn good on that DVD, and it also has Gaylord Carter's organ score like the original Kino DVD.

I have not watched all of Sherlock, Jr. yet; but it looks to me as if there was less fiddling on this one than on The General (which had too much sharpening done, IMO). I am glad they added a new score because I know so many hate the Club Foot score. I actually liked much of their score-particularly the more mysterious themes; but I hated the dissonant screeching sounds (such as during the billiards scene).