Kino Press Release: Black Sunday; Hatchet for the Honeymoon; The House of Exorcism; Lisa and The Dev

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sunday-Remastered-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B008BWFOZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345836780&sr=8-1&keywords=black+sunday+blu-rayhttp://www.amazon.com/Hatchet-Honeymoon-Remastered-Stephen-Forsyth/dp/B008BWFOVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345836803&sr=1-1&keywords=hatchet+for+the+honeymoon+blu-rayhttp://www.amazon.com/Lisa-Devil-House-Exorcism-Remastered/dp/B008BWFOR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345836826&sr=1-1&keywords=the+house+of+exorcism+blu-ray

New York, NY - August 24, 2012 - Kino Lorber is proud to announce the release of three films by the master of Italian giallo film, Mario Bava: Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970), Black Sunday (1960), and Lisa and the Devil (1973). The latter was re-cut and reissued as The House of Exorcism, and both films are included on this double-feature disc.

2. cousineerie

cousineerie Auditioning

Still have to hold on to the original House/Lisa dvd for that deleted scene but I am very exited about these.

3. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Black Sunday looks spectacular!

4. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    I'd have to disagree with that. There are times it looks really very good, and times it looks rather poor (too murky, too gray). Inconsistent, for sure, and it's an important movie that should've been handled better. Goes to show there's still room for a definitive version in the future. At least LISA and HATCHET turned out well.

5. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

I'm with you on that. Murky, gray are good words to describe what I saw.

6. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Ha! The movie is supposed to look murky! This print really shows off how good the lighting and cinematography really is.
    I've been a fan of this movie since I first saw it on late night TV in the late 70s. It has never looked this good. I had no idea an element existed that wasn't a dupe of a dupe of a dupe. This isn't Ben Hur. It was shot quick and cheap. Then it was copied a dozen times into a few different versions for distributors. This is as good as it probably looked in first run theaters.

7. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Fog and shadows do not equal murky. The following are screen caps from the Kino dvd of BLACK SUNDAY (first) and then from the original Image dvd, courtesy of Mirek Lipinski @ Latarnia. These are examples of what I meant by murky and gray:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are many areas of the movie that look very good, that knocked me, quite frankly. But then there were segments that looked exactly like these pictures (I have the bd, but no way to make caps). I asked Tim Lucas if he knew where the negatives are, if they even exist, but he did not know and said it had been years since he did any research on Bava (as his book was finished a bit ago).

8. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    There isn't a single daylight shot in Black Sunday that really looks like a daylight shot. Bava's murky lighting is one of the main reasons this film is so great. Check out these publicity stills of Barbara Steele on the set. One is shot with Bava's lighting, the other is flash photography. What a difference!
    This movie uses darkness and shadows to create atmosphere. In the shots where the light is a bit too strong, the brightness of the shot is adjusted to match the surrounding scenes. That isn't a mistake. It's deliberate.
    Anyone who has followed the history of this film knows that it was passed from one distributor to another. Each version was a new negative owned by a different company. These versions were all knocked down to 16mm for TV. For years in the US, we've been watching dupes of dupes. I would imagine that if they exist, the negatives are pretty beat up. It was a pretty rare film back in the 80s. I taped my copy off late night TV. To have a bluray that looks like an original 35mm release print (of the original Italian version which is closest to the camera negative) is something I really thought would never happen.
    This film is never going to look like Psycho or other B&W films from that era. It wasn't shot by a major US studio and the elements weren't babied. I think this bluray looks fantastic. It's one of the best horror films of all time too.

9. cousineerie

cousineerie Auditioning

Overall I thought the detail in Black Sunday was terrific but not much of it is in the actors faces due to a general lack of close-ups and the stark lighting.
    BTW I just sampled Kino's new BRs of the Jess Franco films Exorcism and the Female Vampire. If you count yourself among the rational who don't know or care about Franco it won't be your problem but mainstream reviewers will be shocked, particularly with Exorcism. As a Franco Freak all I can say is that I'm appreciating the upgrade.