What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Matthew Vaughn’s loving homage to 1960s style spy thrillers arrives on UHD Blu-ray with an improved picture thanks to the higher resolution and more efficient codec.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Good review, although I would argue that you cannot properly evaluate (or rate) the video quality of this 4K release unless you have a proper 4K set (10 bit panel) with HDR.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the review. I am curious about the video scale, since this is vastly better than the 5/5 blu ray but only rates a 4.5. Can you explain your scoring methodology? Thanks.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks for the review. I am curious about the video scale, since this is vastly better than the 5/5 blu ray but only rates a 4.5. Can you explain your scoring methodology? Thanks.
Trying to come up with a rating scale for UHD is a difficult and possibly slippery slope when comparing to the format that came before. Yes, the image is better than it was on Blu-ray, but a "5 out of 5" for DVD is not the same as a 5 for Blu-ray, and therefore would not be the same as a 5 for UHD. Also, all four of my UHD reviews so far were upscaled from 2k sources. I have yet to receive a UHD disc from a 4K or better source to review.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Good review, although I would argue that you cannot properly evaluate (or rate) the video quality of this 4K release unless you have a proper 4K set (10 bit panel) with HDR.
Currently, I am the only reviewer on staff who owns a UHD set and UHD player.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Trying to come up with a rating scale for UHD is a difficult and possibly slippery slope when comparing to the format that came before. Yes, the image is better than it was on Blu-ray, but a "5 out of 5" for DVD is not the same as a 5 for Blu-ray, and therefore would not be the same as a 5 for UHD. Also, all four of my UHD reviews so far were upscaled from 2k sources. I have yet to receive a UHD disc from a 4K or better source to review.
Is the fact of the upscale the reason for knocking off the half point or was there something about the transfer you didn't like?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Is the fact of the upscale the reason for knocking off the half point or was there something about the transfer you didn't like?
The real problem is that there is no real reference point yet, so issuing a 5 out of 5 this early in the game is not necessarily prudent.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Do agree agree with one of the other comments that without HDR you are missing the biggest picture advantage of UHD Discs. So you may never see a 5/5 as your not seeing the whole picture. This disc is one of the top UHD discs I own much better then Hancock which came from a 4K intermediate. Of coarse I go back to the point did the studio tell you that the disc was produced from a 2K intermediate or are you believing that IMDB knows all? I would give the video a 4.5 as the HDR was excellent out of the 13 UHD Disks I would rate it in the top 5.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I meant to say 5 for video, it is very clean and excellent HDR. As with you I was disappointed it did not come with an object based surround sound format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks