What's new

Kings (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Interesting series, McShane of course is great, but the show pretty much dies whenever the actor who plays David (the other Lead in the show) is onscreen. He's such a bland uninteresting fella, and not the greatest for McShane to play off of. Deadwood was Fantastic because McShane playing off of Timothy Olyphant who was a much more interesting personality and actor.

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator

Fixed. Too bad, because I like this show. I'm surprised none of these Deadwood fans has commented on the scenes with Mcshane and Bryan Cox. Takes me back...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, it isn't like they've got much of anything else to air.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I watched the last two episodes last night and things are heating up quite a bit. It is really unfortunate that they had to cancel it, but at least we are getting all of the episodes they made. I was quite surprised by some of the twists in those episodes.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
This is a really great show. I keep forgetting that I am not watching a "made for HBO" series. The quality is amazing. I could watch Ian McShane fold the laundry for hours, provided he makes commentary while doing it.

C

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
That was an interesting article. In the comments to the article there was a quote from the creator by a poster named Rei:

Now I will report what Micheal Green, creator of KINGS, has said recently ( http://www.newsarama.com/tv/090515-guggenheim-green-god.html ): “They were very confused with how to market our show,” said Michael Green, the creator of Kings, which was replaced by NBC this season after airing only the first four episodes. “And I think, ultimately, I think it’s one of the reasons they lost the desire to make a success out of it. It’s very easy to say, ‘we have a nice cop show we executed really well for you.’ It’s harder to say, ‘we have a character-based soap that’s got some bizarre elements to it.’”
“When the time came for the marketing, there was a very deliberate, outspoken, loud desire articulated by them that, ‘We are not going to say King David.’ They were scared to say King David. They just felt that that would be detrimental to the show,” Green explained. “I thought it was the clearest way to express what the show was about, and I thought it might actually generate interest. But there was a fear of either backlash or marginalizing or pigeonholing. There were a lot of reasons they had. They wouldn’t go near it in the marketing, but they never had a problem with it on the creative level, which is why I was so baffled.”
“I do think there’s an audience out there for this stuff,” Green said. “The audiences for Lost come at it with an incredible amount of intelligence. I think it’s the job of the network to generate an interest in these products.”

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
After last night's episode we have one more left. I hope the final episode gives us some satisfaction.

This past episode (part 1 of 2) had an interesting turn of events. I was surprised as to how thoroughly manipulated Silas was by the old king. The old king took quite a bit of delight in how things played out. It is unfortunate that more people weren't interested.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The problem is that the show had such a laid back method with not enough bursts of actual action to keep the audience fixed to it. Last nights episode was very good, but after seeing it I realized that the show could have been entirely done in a 3 part miniseries and probably not lost a drop of the narrative. It was just too full of filler to really make it.

Evan.K

Auditioning
I can't believe how great Javelin was last week! I just rewind the last 4 minutes or so over again. Watching this show makes me want to rent Deadwood. Ian McShane is the man!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
And so it is done. The series finale was well done. It did wrap up some of the near term plots and set up what would have been the next arc. I was surprised as to how quickly Silas turned again, but it was in character. I was also surprised that we actually got to see the Reverend Samuels' image standing in for god. It didn't look like David and Michelle knew that he was, but Silas surely did. Overall, quite well done and I wish we could have seen more.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally finished up the last 3 episodes this weekend, and it was gaining a foothold, story-wise, though I was a little confused with the geography of their situations (it'd been a while since I'd seen the earlier episodes), so a lot of stuff just felt like artificial constructs to put the characters in pressure-cooker situations, and Silas's return was a little too clean. But had it returned, I'd probably watch it, time-shifted-wise

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks