What's new

Kings (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, for a series potential start, it's interesting. This requires a whole lot of suspension of disbelief. But as an alternate reality program, it is told well.

I'm of the belief having seen it that it's almost a "what if the US had instead went with Kings? What if the State of New York was a Kingdom instead?"

The one kid is a bit too lucky, but some nice eye candy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was intrigued by the concept (especially the biblical aspect), but didn't get around to watching. So the kingdoms replace the states? Do the European countries still exist in their present form, or are they totally different too?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
This is basically telling the story of David and Saul in a modern setting. Interesting how the writers have updated the details. Ian McShane is dead on as Silas/Saul, but David needs a little more confidence in his role as Silas' eventual successor.

I thought the Goliath scene was great until David revealed to his brother that he was surrendering.... Not in keeping with the original character.

Adam. this update has nothing to do with our current world, only the technology, etc. It's pretty much ancient Israel, Philistine, etc., given different names and modernized.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I don't think at all that David needs more confidence, as we don't know from the biblical telling that David didn't have insecurity issues, etc. We know what happened, but we don't know what went on inside of David.

Yes, the series is a modern-day retelling of David and Saul, but it's not supposed to mirror everything exactly, and therefore, it doesn't matter that for the purpose of THIS story, David told his brother he was surrendering. There are lots of details in this story that don't mirror the original and they're not supposed to. But they definitely got the spirit of the original down pat.

I thought the pilot was great!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Yeah, noticed that the character of Jack/Jonathan has been altered quite a bit from the source character, too.

Still, I liked it, and liked the little details (a wrench and grenade instead of a slingshot, the image of a lyre built into the design of the piano, Samuels' confrontation with Silas on the steps, with an almost quote directly from the Bible, the look on Silas' face when he saw the crown of butterflies descend on David.)

It's apparent the producers have gone out of their way to honor the spirit of the story!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched a little bit and, at least in those scenes, I was very distracted by the super extreme close-ups on the faces of the actors. They were on my TV screen, but were shot so close that it felt like they were actually invading my personal space. And I don't need to see the pores on their faces. ;)

Couldn't watch enough to form an opinion about the program itself.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I had higher hopes for this show. I thought from the advertisements that it would take place in America but something had happened to create a monarch in this country. In any event i did like the show, I was just disappointed by that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I watched it so late at night (started at 10, got done by 11:30) all I noticed was the comparitives to rebuilding towers, NYC comparisons, etc.. now I feel completely like an idiot for the obvious. I took the David / Goliath bit as a "eh" whereas I was waiting for a mythos that said "what if" the US became a kingdom. Since the commercials had built that up, it's what I -wanted- to see.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I finished watching it last night. The ratings for the pilot apparently have been dreadful. I think if they had premiered it on Thursday evenings at 10 PM as originally planned and split it into two one-hour episodes, it would have done better.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I only made it through an hour of it but will try again as I LOVE Ian McShane. Since there is no chance in hell that we will get the Deadwood finale we deserve this will be the place to catch McShane monologuing and plotting. It sounds like they shot all 12 or 13 episodes already so dreadful or not folks interested in it will likely get to see all of it somewhere...on TV with NBC, Sci-Fi or USA or something or on DVD. Maybe it gets better as it goes?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
According to Ian McShane's interview on The Daily Show
Ian McShane | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
they had just finished shooting the season (two weeks ago). (The clip at the beginning of the interview was from last night's episode.) The second episode was nicely done with great imagery. These episodes look like they'll play well a second time.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
too bad, I really like Kings and will continue to watch. I just wish it could have been received better.

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
I, too , have been enjoying this show. I hope it gets better rating, but I don't think it will happen.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
I hope this show gains some traction. It's a great, original idea in a sea of programming that's been done to death, and it seems to get better with each episode.
Sunday night is a challenging slot. I hope the move to Saturday picks up more viewers, even though it seems that moving a show to Saturday means it has one foot out the door.
Ian Mcshane is an intense actor, isn't he?

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
I saw it. Deadwood was a fantastic series, and Ian was the primary reason my wife and I tuned in to check this series out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks