What's new

KINGPIN: Ongoing discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I think they did a pretty good job. They certainly closed some of the story lines but left open enough to allow another run if it works out that way. Pretty tough writing job not knowing for sure if it go on or not/

Colin-H

Second Unit
I was just kidding about that sacremental wine bit, sort of. They could’ve easily come up with a different trangression, so maybe it was a homage to rather than a ripoff of The Sopranos. I dug the show. Definitely above the curve. Not A+ caliber, but definitely a solid B and probably even a B+. I'd like to see it continue. Lots of unanswered questions. I'm glad they didn't force it to finish abruptly.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Same here...now where do I check for possible news regarding a renewal? I usually don't follow TV news, so I don't know any good sites.

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
Kingpin better start improving in the ratings department though. So far, the show hasn't cracked the top 50 shows of the week, with ratings below 6.0 for every episode. The premiere of ARE YOU HOT? beat Kingpin. That is saying alot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I didn't treat it like a "finale" but more of "how does Mickey not only save his idiot sexed up brother, but how does he also keep control of his piece of the drug pie and ward off would-be competitors in this literally cut-throat business"? In that respect it was pretty good and very surprising. It proved that blood runs very thick in the Cadenas family.

Would I watch further installments, maybe, but mainly for the 2 other storylines (the plastic surgeon and Junie, and the DEA angle) because it's hard to find anything sympathetic about the setbacks faced by the family of a drug cartel.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
A few spoilers

I thought it was pretty uneven on the whole. Looking back, this wasn't so much a mini-series as it was an extended pilot. I didn't get any real resolutions from the finale, which made it clear that they were hoping for a full season series. The doctor and DEA agent are far removed from the Mickey storyline and don't seem to be heading any closer. It is almost as if they wanted to tell their stories and tied them in any way they could. In the DEA agent's case, her partner was killed by a loose cannon within Mickey's organization and in the doctor's case, he was present as a distraction. I can only guess that they may in the future be used to testify against Mickey's La Corporacion.

I just wish that they had tried to give a better arcing storyline for the 8 6 episodes. We had interesting characters who lasted a single episode and then were never heard for again (assuming the whole point of the episode wasn't to kill them off). The hit on his life came from nowhere, story wise.

As part of a series, the 8 6 episodes are quite good. As a standalone miniseries, they fall short of being satisfying. I will say that they came through on their promise to push the envelope of network television. I never got a chance to catch the Bravo versions, but I couldn't imagine how much more they could add in without being on a channel like HBO.

*Edit : Showing two a week confused me :) *

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
The doctor and DEA agent are far removed from the Mickey storyline and don't seem to be heading any closer.
Wasn't the guy that the was supplying the doctor with coke part of La Corporation? I thought I remembered him being at the meeting where the uncle was trying to decide who would run La Corporation. I didn't tape any episodes so I can't go back and verify. Maybe someone who has it on Tivo can go back and check.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Man,
I remembered the character, but he completely disappeared after his introduction and dressing down in his one episode. Between then and the hit, there was absolutely nothing to indicate the he wasn't one of the ton of characters they introduced and then forgot about.

Vlad,
I didn't catch that, but it would be a second connection that the doctor had with La Corporacion.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Yea there was a connection and it was him. The name was Romulo I think. He was in a few of the episodes--I would guess half of them.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think Bravo is going to be showing the uncut versons in March... they were just reairing the NBC versions this month. I am interested in seeing what they added in. There was some visible male pubic hair in one episode on NBC, and I swear I saw a nipple in the final episode when the girl killed the big guy with the shank. NBC certianly did push what they could do on network TV I think.

Brian

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Yes, Romulo was his name. Now I remember the scene when he wants the doctor to pronounce his name correctly. RRRRRRRRRomulo. Too funny.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have not read all 4 pages of threads in regards to Kingpin but I just wanted to put my quick 2 cents in. I loved it! I thought it was a great show. Forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere, but is this just a little mini series that we got to enjoy or will this be a full show next year? I am hoping for a show.

Rob T

Screenwriter
The Bravo channel will be running Kingpin uncut. I didn't catch the time or date though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks