What's new

Kingdom of Heaven (2014) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was going to pre-order this "10th Anniversary edition" today, and I don't see any diff between it and what already exists, at least on the amazons. IOW another in the interminable re-issues this year...I hope not, for fans' sake. Where did the more positive info come from? Thanks.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I got the DC free with my first BR player, so technically, I still haven't bought it. This means, of course, that if the new edition has all the ballistas and whistling arrows, I can purchase it with a clear conscience. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RIDLEY SCOTT’S EPIC HISTORICAL ACTION DRAMA GETS THE ULTIMATE EDITION TREATMENT
KingdomOfHevenUltimateBDBoxArt.jpg
Own ALL Three Versions of the Film in One Collection for the First Time – Arriving On Blu-ray October 7​
Kingdom of Heaven: Ultimate Edition
From visionary director Sir Ridley Scott comes a cinematic masterpiece with this 2-Disc Blu-ray™ Edition that includes all three versions of the film — the Director’s Cut, Director’s Cut Roadshow Version and Original Theatrical Version — all presented in high definition, plus over nine hours of in-depth special features, including a full-length documentary that takes you on the path from pre-production to release. On the brink of celebrating its 10th anniversary, a truly legendary cast leads this visually spectacular epic, including Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Liam Neeson and Academy Award®-winner Jeremy Irons*.
Bloom stars as Balian, a young blacksmith who has lost his family and his faith. But when his father (Neeson) reveals his destiny, Balian joins the heroic fight to protect his people from overwhelming forces, and rises to knighthood.
*Best Actor in a Leading Role; Reversal of Fortune (1991)
Kingdom of Heaven: Ultimate Edition Blu-ray Special Features [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] All Three Versions of the Film [SIZE= 10px]○[/SIZE] Theatrical Version [SIZE= 10px]○[/SIZE] Extended Director’s Cut Version [SIZE= 10px]○[/SIZE] Director’s Cut “Road Show” Version [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Introduction by Director Sir Ridley Scott [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Pilgrim’s Guide Trivia Track [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] The Engineer’s Guide Trivia Track [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Roadshow Commentary with Orlando Bloom, Ridley Scott and Writer William Monahan [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] The Path to Redemption [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Sound Design Suite [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Visual Effects Breakdowns [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Press Junket Walkthrough [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] World Premieres [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Special Shoot Gallery [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Poster Explorations [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] A&E Movie Real [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] History vs. Hollywood [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Orlando Bloom “The Adventure of a Lifetime” [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Featurettes and More Kingdom of Heaven: Ultimate Edition Blu-ray Street Date: October 7, 2014 Prebook Date: September 3, 2014 Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9 (2.35:1) Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital Subtitles: English / French / Spanish U.S. Rating R Closed Captioned: Yes

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What is the roadshow edition, is it the extended edition with a break or is it an even longer cut of the film.

If its just the extended edition with a break then i'll probably pass as i think the current version is fine, i am not really into extra content, it's the film that counts for me but of course if it's a new encode, perhaps using the AVC codec and it looks vastly superior then i might be tempted, not that the current MPEG 2 edition looks bad, it actually looks good.

:EDIT: I forgot i had already posted in this thread, yeah i'll probably just stick with what i have, same goes for Alien.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
FoxyMulder said:
What is the roadshow edition, is it the extended edition with a break or is it an even longer cut of the film.

If its just the extended edition with a break then i'll probably pass as i think the current version is fine, i am not really into extra content, it's the film that counts for me but of course if it's a new encode, perhaps using the AVC codec and it looks vastly superior then i might be tempted, not that the current MPEG 2 edition looks bad, it actually looks good.

:EDIT: I forgot i had already posted in this thread, yeah i'll probably just stick with what i have, same goes for Alien.
Roadshow edition includes the Overture and Intermission with Entr'ate music.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Like many others, I totally love Scott's Director's Cut of this much under-appreciated film (I won't even comment on 20th Century releasing yet another 'Alien' Blu-ray. This is getting sillier than 'Star Wars'! (Guess I commented - oops)).

I'm tempted to buy this release only for the Roadshow elements (I'm old - I loved the "Roadshow" films when I was kid. The Overture playing behind the still-closed curtains gave any film added gravitas - especially when it was a score by Rozsa or North). However, if the KOH Roadshow is still the theatrical release; I'll pass. The Director's Cut is the only way to see this film - IMO....

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
FoxyMulder said:
Some info from someone who already has the disc, not good, this person's brother does encodes for smaller labels including Arrow, he is also pretty good at spotting things like this, i always said that MPEG 2 encode was a good one.

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2014/10/not-all-kingdoms-are-created-equal/
His complaint appears to be ringing artifacts. I recall the old Blu-ray having ringing issues during hard contrasts throughout the film. That could be something baked into the master.

Josh Gooding

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Gooding
Hello, everyone. I'm a longtime lurker here who has benefitted from the wisdom of the community more times than I can count. I hope I can do so one more time.

I just got around to trying to watch "The Path to Redemption" documentary on disc 2 of the Ultimate Edition and found that the video displays only in the upper left-hand quadrant of my screen. This happened with the introduction on disc 1 as well, but I had dismissed that as a stylistic decision. (The film itself played as it should.) As I dug a little deeper, it appears that all the video-based extras on the release seem to be having the same issue, at least on my player (an old Magnavox from 2007 or so).

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
That is a problem that affected many players quite a long time ago. I remember encountering it with one BD in my Oppo 83 back when it was newish, I'd say '08/'09. The manufacturers and studios were finding out just how various BD authorings/formatting worked in the field, and firmware updates were coming fast and furious for many brands. For other brands, even biggies like Denon IIRC...not so much. It was fixed in my Oppo player years ago by a FW update, have never seen it since in any of my players (except for one model, they get or used to get regular FW updates).

Have you ever updated the FW in your player? If not, it's truly amazing you've gotten this far along with an '07 player!

Josh Gooding

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Gooding
Amazingly, I have made it without any firmware updates and not run into any issues until now. My player predates any online functionality so it always seemed like more of a hassle to try to figure it out. Looks like it's time to figure it out now. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks