What's new

Kingdom of Heaven (2014) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Please please, not another re-release. The original BD is totally bare bones.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Jari K said:
Please please, not another re-release. The original BD is totally bare bones.
That's the exact reason I've never upgraded my DVD edition of the Director's Cut. Not only is it bare-bones, the BRD omits the roadshow elements (overture, intermission), as I recall.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Here here. Still have many of those old DVD sets with loads of extras.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Allansfirebird said:
That's the exact reason I've never upgraded my DVD edition of the Director's Cut. Not only is it bare-bones, the BRD omits the roadshow elements (overture, intermission), as I recall.
Me too! However, looking at the link it appears that this is a release of the original theatrical version on one disc...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
That would be very strange. I just don't understand these big studios sometimes.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Ideally, I'd want to see a Kingdom of Heaven BRD release include the full version of the director's cut, the theatrical cut, and all of the special features from both of their respective DVD sets included. It would probably end up being a 4-disc set, but I'd snatch it up day-one.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I really like this movie. The BD was one of the first I got, and it was one of the best early BDs IMO. I think I'd consider buying it again if they updated the video encoding to AVC and maintained the same video bitrate. The audio is fine as is, but 7.1 might be worthwhile. No extras on the movie disc. IOW if they improved the PQ noticeably, and it actually isn't too shabby on the current disc.

I doubt this'll see fancy packaging, as most people don't like this movie as much as I/we do. I put the BD in the 4-disc DVD package, since like most of you I already had that. That DVD package wasn't worth getting rid of or worth much when the BD has been selling for $5 for many years (one of the very first cheap BDs). If I get the new BD, then it'll go in there too, plenty of room in that clever package, compared to the way they often package multiple discs now in digipacks.

I don't care about the roadshow elements (in any film...heretic...apostate...infidel!) because I always skip past them. Life's too short to watch a (mostly) black screen, even for me and my existential leanings. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am waiting to see what is going on with this release.

I have never seen this film. I hear exceptional things about it.

I also hear The Director's Cut is the way to go as it fills in huge plot holes.

If this is only the theatrical cut, perhaps I'll just spend $10 and buy the current
Director Cut release from Amazon.

What do you guys think? And, is the movie THAT GOOD?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I also hear The Director's Cut is the way to go as it fills in huge plot holes."Theatrical cut is decent, but dir cut is a small masterpiece. Very very underrated film, IMO.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:

If this is only the theatrical cut, perhaps I'll just spend $10 and buy the current

Theatrical cut has huge plot holes, the directors cut is a vastly improved film, i think it's a good film, not a great one, though it has great cinematography and it also has Eva Green in it, enough said, who doesn't like Eva Green. ;)

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
The director's cut is the only way to go with the film. I actually purchased the DC as a blind buy, and I never regretted it one bit. It's a great story, and a great epic.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:

I liked the movie when I first saw the theatrical cut. I didn't really notice plot holes in the theatrical cut.

However, when I saw the director's cut, I saw that some plot threads were developed much more fully; some of which were entirely cut in the theatrical version. I quite enjoyed the movie. It's one of the best epics of recent years. Like the great Chinese epic Red Cliff, it can be watched in its short version, but the long one is much better.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein said:

Yes. As others have said there really is no comparison between the theatrical version and the director's cut. The only thing missing from the Director's cut is the Roadshow trappings of Overture, Intermission/Entracte music that appear on the special edition dvd. Fox really ruined the distribution of this film by having Scott cut it to their liking. It's really an 'event' type of epic...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Though I'm personally trying really hard to not acquire any more MPEG-2 titles, I make the odd exception for less popular films that likely won't see a re-release. Whatever the general popularity of KoH, this is one title I'd kick myself if I didn't have it and passed it over just because of that. It's really quite a decent presentation as is, especially for a 3-hour film.

Perhaps it's more popular in Canada, or even more unpopular, who knows how they price these things, but it's been a $5 bin title or a $7 shelf title for years here. I just assumed everybody who wanted it already had it, and long ago too...

There is the possibility that if the new release is indeed the theatrical version, it surely wouldn't be done in MPEG-2, so it might look better than the DC if there aren't substantial extras. OTOH they could do a skimpy AVC transfer of the TC and pack all/most of the old DVD extras on one disc. Hard to figure that someone who wanted to watch all the extras wouldn't want to watch the DC over the TC, that doesn't make much sense...but then from a marketing perspective, putting the DVD extras on the TC BD might get DC owners to re-buy...

IMO, YES it is that good.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Paul Rossen said:
Yes. As others have said there really is no comparison between the theatrical version and the director's cut. The only thing missing from the Director's cut is the Roadshow trappings of Overture, Intermission/Entracte music that appear on the special edition dvd. Fox really ruined the distribution of this film by having Scott cut it to their liking. It's really an 'event' type of epic...
YES!!- This is epic film making at its best.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Add my voice to the chorus: Director's Cut all the way!

I, too, have held on to the loaded DVD of the DC. If Fox would release it on blu with even some of the extras, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
OMG! Based on the online stores..."Commemorate the 10th Anniversary of visionary director Sir Ridley Scott's cinematic masterpiece with this 2-Disc Blu-ray Edition that includes all three versions of the film - the Director's Cut, Director's Cut Roadshow Version and Original Theatrical Version - all presented in high definition, plus over nine hours of in-depth special features, including a full-length documentary that takes you on the path from pre-production to release. A truly legendary cast leads this visually spectacular epic, including Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Liam Neeson and Academy Award-Winner Jeremy Irons. Bloom stars as Balian, a young blacksmith who has lost his family and his faith. But when his father (Neeson) reveals his destiny, Balian joins the heroic fight to protect his people from overwhelming forces, and rises to knighthood."

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Jari K said:
OMG! Based on the online stores..."Commemorate the 10th Anniversary of visionary director Sir Ridley Scott's cinematic masterpiece with this 2-Disc Blu-ray Edition that includes all three versions of the film - the Director's Cut, Director's Cut Roadshow Version and Original Theatrical Version - all presented in high definition, plus over nine hours of in-depth special features, including a full-length documentary that takes you on the path from pre-production to release. A truly legendary cast leads this visually spectacular epic, including Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Liam Neeson and Academy Award-Winner Jeremy Irons. Bloom stars as Balian, a young blacksmith who has lost his family and his faith. But when his father (Neeson) reveals his destiny, Balian joins the heroic fight to protect his people from overwhelming forces, and rises to knighthood."
If this is so that would be amazing for fans of this epic film!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Wow! That is some good and unexpected (by me) news.

Presumably it will be AVC not MPEG-2. Hope they don't try a "Warner squeeze". I'm going to buy this if it holds up PQ-wise after the first reviews, which are bound to have a comparison with the first BD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks