King of the Hill Season 1 Video is darn-tootin' bad!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Shane_M, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

I just finished reviewing KOTH and I have to say it's the worst video transfer I've ever seen.

It's shaky beyond all belief. There's shimmering all over the place. Edge enhancement is super big during certain scenes. Plus, there's more noise than what come out of kids first crack at playin' an instrument.

I'm not happy at all.

2. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

how's the video compared to Family Guy (which was pretty bad)?

3. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I thought the video on Family Guy was one of the best transfers I've ever seen. Very bright and colors were dead on.

As for King of the Hill it's a very drab show but that's no excuse for these problems.

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

To be fair, all the other reviews I've read (one, two, three, four) give the video transfer high marks. I don't expect the same quality from a TV show as I do an actual film, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

And King of the Hill was done on the cheap its first season.

6. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Is it at least better than South Park: Season One? You can download episodes off the internet that look better than that noise-infested crap! I felt like a sucker for purchasing the damn thing especially with the commentary BS.

7. Shane_M

Family Guy looks great compaired to this transfer. I'm not kidding the bounce on the video started to distract me. Most of the time I miss the little flaws, but this was really bad. It's most noticable during the pilot episode.

Perhaps the other reviews didn't watch that episode, as the jumpiness at least settled down after the first one, but still the shimmering and the noise were present throught.

I'll see if I can capture some images and hopefully they'll show the offset. It moved a good 2cm in one shake.

8. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A lot of these early seasons were never meant for DVD. They were made to be shown on TVs with cable at best.

Now that they are on DVD, you're likely seeing them better than they did originally. Of course, they *could* totally remaster the episodes from film...but they'd never make money from the DVDs that way.

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Shane, couldn't find a review on your site to get the in-depth stuff on the set. Also your site is a bit wider than 800x600 resolution, just a head's up.

11. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

12. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

These problems are probably in the original animation and not fixable without tremendous expense from Fox and then the set would cost us alot more. Check these 'problem' episodes in syndication to see if they are there too or only on dvd.

13. Shane_M

Ryan,

The review will be going up this weekend. And yes, I know it's just a little larger than 800x600. It's 848 I think. I'm in the midst of a complete site redesign.

TerryW,

I'll see if I can catch an episode on TV. Typically I don't bother watching TV because of my love for movies.