What's new

King Kong Production diary announced on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jerome

Second Unit
Universal France plans to release a DVD named "King Kong : le journal de la production" on december the 7th.

I read it on a sneak preview of Universal's forthcoming Region 2 DVD release plans.

I am sure it will be a international release and the DVD will include the trailers, and the production diary saw on Internet.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Why not just include it with the eventual DVD release?

Who would buy that?

--
H

Jerome

Second Unit
here in france, we had the same thing with the first LOTR.

a DVD with trailers and featurette was released just before the first film appeared in theaters.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm sure both diaries, production and post-production, will be included on the eventual SE of King Kong. If not, I'm saving them all from kongisking.net :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I hope so, but I have my doubts. There are currently over 70 production diaries available and each lasts about 3 to 4 minutes. By the end, there will probably be over 4 hours of them. While the material is readily available, they do seem to be a pretty big task to put on a disc. With some studios not even putting the original trailers on their releases, I wouldn't count on it just yet.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

Did you see the LOTR:EE?

I think the diaries have a good chance to get on the DVD, PJ seems to love giving the fans what the want (and now he has all the clout in the world to make things happen).

Mattias Stridsman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattias
I think the production diaries already clock in over 5 hours total... and if I'm not mistaken, a separate crew is producing a series of documentaries for the DVD, similar to those found on the LOTR:EE.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Probably one disc for Production Diary and the other for Post-Production Diary. It would be essential to include them in a R1 edition, otherwise I'll have to import this (hopefully Uk will get this as well, so I can have an English-language cover and menus).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Maybe there well be a release like LOTR, where we get a standard 2 disc edition with the movie and these, and than later a deluxe edition with the movie and a more thorough documentary?

I haven't watched these, are they actually worth downloading, or are they all teaser bait to get you in the theater?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
No no, Russell, they're insightful and quite worth the download. The Production Diary is split into 53 files, and the Post-Production is up to file number 23 right now. All focus on a specific point in time during the procees, and it's fascinating. This is the REAL behind-the-scenes stuff.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

S**t. I figured someone would say that. I guess I'll download and rip them, just in case it doesn't appear on an upcoming set.

Lane_S

Agent
Although Warner Home Video has been the biggest user of this marketing ploy, King Kong is ripe for a single/two disk simultaneous release that many films are using now.

I can easily see them putting out a one disk version with a couple of extras AND a 2 disk with the second disk primarily the production diaries cut down (and in some cases added to with footage that didn't make the web) to form a solid 2-3 hour documentary. I know, I know, I would love to have them all as well, but I'll wager the other 95% of DVD buyers would be fine with above. I haven't seen them all, but I could see how some of the stuff (especially the earlier ones where they were being careful not to give anything away and the "Peter answers email" videos) wouldn't be necessary to tell a good "behind the scenes" story.

However the do it, one of the most interesting things about watching the diaries on DVD will be watching Peter getting thinner and thinner each week.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've seen them, but I actually don't know if they merit their own release. Especially with that price tag!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks