What's new

King Kong Extended Cut DVD edition- do I need it? (1 Viewer)

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Hi everyone,

I have the 2-disc edition of King Kong (2005) as well as the Peter Jackson Production Diaries DVD box set.

I just found out there's a 3-disc edition that has since been released. Is the 3-disc edition of the movie worth picking up in; keeping in mind that I already own the above? Are the new supplements good? Thanks!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the new documentary and stuff is good, but I prefer the theatre version of kong.

Jacob

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Yeah, the extra features on the Extended Edition are great, and there's also a hilarious short film made by the cast for Peter Jackson's birthday.

But I agree with TheBat; the shorter theatrical version of the movie itself is better.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If you're a fan of the movie, I'd definitely recommend it. The 3-disc set is great. It's got an informative commentary by Jackson and the writers, 40 minutes of deleted scenes (plus 13 minutes that were added to the film), some nice featurettes and an excellent three hour documentary. Too bad you didn't ask about this last week though. Assuming you live in the US, Best Buy had it on sale last week for $9.99, a complete steal if you ask me. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you're interested in how they made the movie, I'd say you need it (at least much as you can need a movie :)).

Personally, I don't think the additional scenes help or hurt the movie but it's fun seeing them in there.

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
i think its a worthy supplement to the original movies just like the lord of the rings.

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Thanks everyone for your comments- I've decided to pick it up- can't wait to hear the commentary! :)

willh51

Agent
Real Name
Will
I just finished watching the extended film and am finishing up the doc. in pieces, but I must say that Universal did an unusually fantastic job with this dvd. Likely thanks to PJ, the supplements are fantastic. The a/v is also stellar. I think the disc is worth the price alone for the great documentary.

The extended film is just okay. While I think King Kong is a great film, the new edits are nothing special and neither help or hurt the movie. The fact remains that Skull Island is the weakest, longest, and most extended part of the film.

My only complaint is the packaging. A nice digipack would have added that extra touch.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I was on the fence regrading this release, too, and didn't buy it when it came out.

Although I enjoyed King Kong when I saw it theatrically, the two-disc DVD didn't do much for me. I think I may have viewed it once after I bought it and that was it. IIRC, for some reason I was put off by a lot of the CG work on the DVD. Things that didn't bother my in the theater, were much more noticeable and greatly detracted from my enjoyment at home.

In any event, I stumbled upon a bin of three-disc sets at BB last week on sale for $9.99. Since I also had an unused $5 RewardZone certificate in my pocket bringing the price of admission down to $4.99, I decided to take the plunge.

Now, perhaps it is because I haven't seen the film in a while, but I quite enjoyed this extended version. Even the CG didn't bother me this time around. I have to admit though that I will never be a fan of the climactic Naomi Watts/Adrien Brody scenes atop the Empire State Building. They will forever be totally unbelievable, IMO.

The special features, on the other hand, are utterly sensational! Jackson's three hour behind-the-scenes documentary is right up there with the best I have ever seen on home video!

This set is a keeper, and for $10 or less, it is a no-brainer!! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally got around to watching this one, which I bought when it came out. I thought it was just great. I enjoyed the movie tremendously in the theater and the extended cut (plus the deleted scenes) didn't disappoint. Such a beautifully filmed movie. The scenes on Skull Island might be the best jungle movie ever, and the third act in New York has some impressive visuals. Just watching from atop the Empire State Building gives me vertigo.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you need it. But then again, you have to consider that I don't think we needed any version of PJ's KONG.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I would buy it for cheap. But I'm happy with the single DVD version I got as a initial selection from the Columbia HOuse DVD club. :)

I agree with those who think it's a damn fine film. I have zero problems with the opening moments. The character development is very good and the buildup works for me...making the latter moments of the film that much more potent. Good film! But I don't need it to be any longer than the TC. Lord of the Rings was different. That series benefited from the extra bits making the TC cuts seem lacking. Not sure if Kong could do that.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That reminds me. . .I should probably watch this sometime. I've never seen it, but I snagged the extended cut when BB sold it for a single-digit price. :)

BTW, I read that BB will be selling this movie for even less on Black Friday, but I don't know which edition.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
The extended version of the movie is nice. I'm still pissed the HD release is only theatrical. Don't these studios realize people don't like swapping discs halfway through the goddamn movie? An HD release for something like this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks