Kim's Video closing in NYC.. (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's a tough situation really.

I don't mind paying a little more to shop locally -- and I always account for S&H charges in this. But the price diffs are often quite large though.

Still, I'm not really (often) choosing Amazon over J&R or Best Buy or similar when the latter run reasonable sales. Amazon's prices are generally just competitive, but not exactly a big undercut vs relatively big stores (or chains) like J&R and Best Buy -- when they are, it's usually because the latter are charging full retail or very close to that, which is just too high in most cases. And I pay sales tax in both cases. I've been just as likely to buy BDs, DVDs and CDs from J&R and Best Buy as from Amazon. And until more recently (when I finally subscribed to Amazon Prime), I wasn't paying Amazon for shipping -- and I'm getting more than just free shipping w/ Amazon Prime.

IF they can work out a business model that makes them consistently (reasonably) competitive vs Amazon, that may be good enough. Problem is they are not consistent. And of course, the recession plus new competition from streaming plus often relatively high price for essentially recycled-yet-again catalog titles don't help.

In J&R's case, I suppose the problem may also be partially attributable to the changes that have been taking place in downtown Manhattan, which is connected to the recession as well as the still-ongoing redevelopment since 9/11 (and the resumption of skyrocketing cost of real estate). Sounds like they're hoping to reboot into something that fits in well w/ the changes going on (both locally and online). In a sense, they need to reinvent themselves much like B&H did more than a decade ago when digital (and online shopping) replaced film (and much of local shopping). J&R's overall business has really been not quite that much different from B&H's other than (prerecorded) media sales being a big part of theirs. Perhaps, they will refocus and completely drop media sales (and maybe their lightweight attempts at household appliances too) to be more like B&H... which would be a bit sad, but perhaps, inevitable...

_Man_

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Just to update this story...

Turns out Kim's was not closing due to poor sales, in fact they say sales of blu-ray, dvd, and compact discs were quite brisk. They are closing because their lease is up at this location and the landlord jacked the rent up so high they decided to look for a new location. So, stay tuned, Kim's is supposed to reopen somewhere possibly as soon as July.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Our best record store in Sacramento (The Beat) was basically forced out of its location last year by the landlord, so they called it quits. There haven't been any media stores here for a long time that charge full price for stuff, except maybe Barnes and Noble which I rarely go into. I like to support brick and mortar stores whenever I can, as I like to be able to look at stuff and not have to wait for anything I buy to come in the mail. Lucky to have two Fry's locations nearby which have a good selection at competitive prices.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Sunday the 25th is the last day. Stopped in last night. Slim pickings but scored Flat Top (in anticipation of another Olive release by the director 3-d Dragonfly Squadron in October) for $7.00. 75% off everything except new releases blu and dvd...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks