What's new

Kim Possible fans break Disney policy! (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
This is probably very old news but I just found out today from my wife.

Kim Possible is a well liked Disney series.

Disney has had a policy that no series will go longer than 65 episodes(or 3 seasons).

Kim Possible reached then end and fans pummeled Disney in numerous ways and were affective.

Disney has officially called for a 4th season of Kim Possible to start in October.

As a dad of a 7 year old girl, I am highly thankful as Kim Possible is one of the few "kiddie" cartoons that I can watch with her with out thinking of "the good old days cartoons"

Andy

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm also glad to hear this. Disney has killed far too many "good" toons in the past which were good ideas because of their arbitrary limit.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
This is the first time I've heard of this rule and I just can't believe that ole money hungry Disney would shun away potential earnings.

However, there are plenty of Disney toons that I've come to notice that ended shortly - just look at Disney's 1 Saturday Morning or One Two on Sundays.

Recess and Pepper Ann were two really good toones that ended before their time.

Thanks for the heads up on Kim Possible!

ry

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That page is not exactly the best reasoned indictment of Michael Eisner that I have read. :) One man's greedily not letting a show go beyond three seasons is another man's nobly choosing not to milk the cash cow.

Regards,

Arild

Supporting Actor
But DuckTales didn't end after 65 episodes? Was this policy introduced after that?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Only the Disney Channel had the 65 episode rule.

Before Kim Possible, That's So Raven was the first show to break the 65 policy.

Disney Channel executives felt that after 65 episodes, a show can go "stale" and lose viewer interest so they instituted this policy.

The Kim Possible television movie 'So The Drama' even has a reference to the rule when Ron is getting ready for the prom. You can see he has a flyer with "No to 65" written on it.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

It's more that after three years the kids who've been watching the show from the beginning will be getting too old to enjoy it, and it's easier to get younger children interested in a new series than one that's still running.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
So not the drama. If Dr. Drakken can't kill Kim, what chance does Disney have?

Honestly, I don't see why Disney would instate such a rule. My 3, 7, and 10 year olds all love it. I have even found it to be somewhat popular with High School students (a family friend of ours is a lead cheerleader and our kids refer to her as Kim Possible, and she and all of her friends at very familiar with the show). I practice martial arts at a Junior High School, and at least one piece of student art depicting Kim Possible was on display in the auditorium.

*~MelissaRogers~*

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa
I personally don't like KP, but I'm an avid Disney Channel fan...and this is good news to me only because maybe they'll allow more shows to run longer. I'm not surprised that Raven broke the 65ep curse...because that show is making BANK for Disney [not like they need any more money]

I just hope, because of KP, more disney shows will run longer. :star:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

My thoughts exactly!

Kim Possible is one of the few shows that appeals to a wide age range. Even my wife likes it!

I'd like to see Lilo & Stitch continue, myself. :) (A fun show and a SEVERELY underappreciated movie.)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
How does the Disney Channel make money on specific shows? Their commercial breaks only promote other Disney stuff. Is it the merchandising?

I've liked Even Stevens for a few years now. Haven't seen Kim Possible but I'll check it out. I liked Lilo and Stitch a lot, but I haven't seen the show.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
They make money like every other station...

Commercials.

Disney also has the benefit of a "Toon Disney" channel that brings in more ad-revenue.

What I liked today (8-7-06) was that the Toon Disney channel aired "Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch" in its original AR. Granted it had commercials but it was great to see this on a Disney channel.

And as the great and powerful Yogurt once said:

"Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made."

There are video games, dolls(Kim Possible)/action figures(Ron Stoppable & Rufus), clothing, and DVDs.

By the way...this show does appeal to all ages. One of my managers who is around 25 dressed up as Kim for Halloween about two years ago.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
This is wonderful news! And you're not kidding about it appealing to a wide age range. This means there will be one less thing for my 27 year old brother (a huge Kimmie fan) to piss and moan about. The "Lame" shows ALWAYS stay on "f*&%in' forever," according to little bro, while the "f*&%in' awesome" ones are ALWAYS cancelled too soon.

Before anyone asks, yes, I worry about this kid. :rolleyes

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
they do not make money off of commercials on The Disney Channel or Toon Disney since all commercials shown are for Disney content. Their money comes out of the price that cable and satellite companies pay to carry the channels as well as all of the ancillary merchandising.

Regards,

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I really appreciate that when my son watches their programming.

Now, about shows being cancelled after three years -- weren't the Doodlebops cancelled in 1973? :D

doodlebops1-735005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks