What's new

KILL BILL: The multiple versions thread (6 from Miramax; Japanese, SEs, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

That's not what it sounds like to me at all. I'll bet that QT substantially changes the resulting order, and will probably delete/add material as well. One example might be having the big B&W fight scene be in color.

Indeed it may be an argument for buying the existing versions, as the end result will be a new film -- of course one hopes that the new DVD includes both versions.

Ted

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Doesn't the combined cut already exist? I thought it showed at Cannes as "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair".

My guess is that this is coming out as a flagship release for the Weinsteins new company, and as such, they are holding onto it for purely marketing resons. Release the combined cut as a roadshow affair in art houses, and do a deluxe DVD release of it in the fall for Christmas.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm with Mark on this one. By 2007 I fully plan on having the next-gen HD disc format (whichever wins, most likely Blu-ray). I'll get KB then, as the current transfers seem to have some problems.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I just watched Kill Bill Vol. 2 for the second time recently, and just like the first time I watched it, I really missed the characters of the first one when I saw them again at the end. Both times that I saw the movie, I really wished I could see "Kill Bill" from start to finish, instead of as two seperate movies.

I wonder if the characters from the first one were shown at the end of volume 2 in the hopes that they would have this effect, and make a cut of both films put together more desirable. Whether that was the intention or not, that is how the end credits made me feel, and why I want to buy the complete Kill Bill movie, even though I own its volumes individually.

P.S. Does anyone know when this Weinstein Company is supposed to debut/start releasing its movies?

Vincent-P

Second Unit
The Weinstein Company already debuted. I believe their first release was "Derailed" with Jennifer Anistion.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Sounds like they're off to a shaky start, then. :) But what I meant to ask was when will they start releasing their own DVDs (not just theatrical releases)?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
This was a critical decision for the Weisnsteins, as Disney had maintained full control over all most all of their video releases. Over the last few weeks TWC and Genius Products (parent company of Wellspring) inked a deal giving TWC a 70% share of a new distribution venture that will allow TWC full control over their DVD releases. Former head of Warner Home Video, Warren N. Lieberfarb has also been brought on board as a consultant.

They have not yet announced what title will be their first DVD release under this new venture.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Fahrenheit 9/11 was their very first. That film is the reason they split from Disney in the first place isnt it?

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
From mtv.com/news:

As any Quentin Tarantino fan knows, revenge is sweet. With that in mind, the Oscar-winning writer/director hopes that it will be even sweeter the second time around. "I'll be coming out with 'Kill Bill,' the whole movie all together," he revealed recently. "Not just volume one and volume two next to each other, but cut together like one big epic, and with the intermission in the middle of it, like a '60s film. We'll be coming out in the theaters with that, and then it will be coming out on DVD." After the epic viewing experience, fans can look forward to tossing away their old "Bill" DVDs in disgust, but Tarantino promises that it will be worth it when his collector's edition replaces them on their shelves. "I've been holding off, because I worked on it for so long that it was like, 'OK, I just want a year where I'm not thinking about "Kill Bill" ... let me just have a year of no "Kill Bill," and then I'll do the big supplementary DVD package.' " ...

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Well, this is exactly why I've held off on buying the 1st versions.

Of course, knowing QT, he'll probably take at least another year to finish the new vers.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Ya know, I've been holding off from buying the existing DVD's like most of you, but I'm tempted to just get them just because I'd like to have the current versions as well. Having Kill Bill as one long film would be great, but I would still like to own both versions. It seems doubtful to me the next set would offer both.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Since these are in 2-for-$20 sales a lot, I'd say go for it. They look pretty good, sound GREAT, and you can put both in a double Amaray case and pretend it's one release: BILL Amaray layout (80k)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I think that people who like the current versions, should get them. Frankly I don’t know how he is going to merge the two movies because they feel like 2 movies. Although they follow the same story, they feel like 2 different movies. It’s going to mess them up if he edits them together. Or, it will be a completely new third movie.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't agree more. I watched them again the other day, and I remember how my perceptions were radically changed when I saw V2 at the theater. That was the advantage of splitting them up, in V1 you think Uma is an innocent victim, but in V2 you realize she's guilty of bad things too, and probably deserved what happened to her at her wedding (rehersal). I wonder how much things will change if QT mushes the two volumes together, and I plan on keeping my separate DVD releases (unless they offer un-tampered V1 and V2 via semless branching on the Special Edition).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks