What's new

Kids dropped TV. Warped colours, what to do? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have a 32" JVC TV that the kids knocked off the stand by accident. Ever since, the side of the screen has distorted colours similar to what happens when an unshielded speaker is closeby. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Does the TV need to be powered off completely for a few days, or de-gaussed?
Thanks,
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly not an expert, but I think that the coil (yoke) that goes around the neck of the picture tube has moved. Really sorry, but you'll have to take it in, but it should be an easy job. If they charge you for more than 1 hour I'd scream.
Glenn

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Neil, that's one major bummer.
Is this your main display? If it were mine, I'd probably consider this an opportunity for upgrading. Also, when I've noticed those types of color distortions before, they've turned out to be permanent.
But, who knows? I'd put in a call directly to JVC and try to get a decent tech on the line and describe the sitch.
Again, bummer. Sorry to hear about this. (How did the kids manage to do that?)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

R Benson

Auditioning
Shadow mask has broken loose inside picture tube. Time for new TV. Picture tube replacement would probably equal or exceed cost of new set.
------------------

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Neil, I could be mistaking you with someone else but weren't your kids the ones that ate multiple coppies of your Video Essentials several years back? I think it's time to look into Military School ala Anthony Soprano.

Chris White

Second Unit
After you get the tv fixed, I suggest you protect the tv by using a lucite case. However, be sure to poke holes in it so the kids can breathe.
wink.gif

------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks