What's new

Kickstart my heart <3 (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Good luck David, but why'd ya chose IndieGoGo? =(
Sam, what's your problem with IndieGoGo? And I don't mean that in a confrontational way but as someone who is ignorant of the ins and outs of both KS and IGG, I'm legitimately curious. I've donated to a few campaigns (from people/companies that I already know) on both sites and never had a problem with either. I guess I see a potential problem with IGG that if they don't make their goal, do you get what you 'paid' for but other than that, they seem like the same basic thing to me. Honestly, if I was trying to get money, I'd see IndieGoGo as a better option since I know I'd get something over nothing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
IndieGoGo allows creators to choose to use 'flexible funding', which basically means 'send us money to burn and we'll get it even if we don't make our goal and have no chance of ever making our project come to completion.

This is pretty ok for creators because: free money! and horrifically bad for backers.

And you have chosen to go this route.

KS ensures that projects will get at least a minimum amount of traction before committing backers money.

Bummer that KS isn't available in France yet.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/7/4594824/less-than-10-percent-of-projects-on-indiegogo-get-fully-funded

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Actually, we went indiegogo because it's for funding post on a short film, and they have a huge traction in that section. The way the rewards are set, people will get what they paid for no matter if we reach the goal or not. But I count on a few top backers around and during Cannes, as there is a strong buzz for the full lenght film, which Reve de fer is a kinda sample of.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It's a "flexible funding" IndieGoGo project, but I thought some might be interested in this. Frank Marshall posted it on Twitter: "Help make it happen for Other Side of the Wind - Orson Welles' Last Film on @indiegogo http://t.co/oq6evxnSSp"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It was very well done David, please don't let my disdain for flexible funding make you think I think any less of your project, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck with it. I just don't do FF projects as a rule! Even with Broken Lizard, who was sure to smash their FF amount, I chose to stay out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jeez anyone who buys that should have their head examined. Big difference between kickstarting a new product like Pebble and funding R&D for an existing company with tens of millions of dollars (at least) in sales already.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah I don't get it Tony. Cam if you wanna kickstart established companies with long histories go for it, but for me this is entirely antithetical to the spirit of Kickstarter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sam Posten said:
Yeah I don't get it Tony. Cam if you wanna kickstart established companies with long histories go for it, but for me this is entirely antithetical to the spirit of Kickstarter.

That's likely true, but it's also not unusual for a product or service to be used differently from what its creators originally envisioned (or even how the majority of users use it). If it's a true violation (e.g. raising money to pay for something illegal), then there's the terms of service to address those instances.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sam Posten said:

Except when it is. When Arrow Video did their launch through indigogo, it was pretty clear they were coming to NA regardless, the campaign was basically a pre-order to gauge interest/generate excitement.

i don't think anyone is contributing on a purely altruistic level for these start ups, we all want the end product in our grubby little hands.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It may not be the officially sanctioned use of Kickstarter, but *lots* of companies use it as a ready-made preorder system.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Checked out Kickstarter and as said, sadly it's not possible to put up a project if you're from France. The number of countries is limited. Considering getting a UK/US friend to put the project up since it seems indiegogo is not bringing any traffic plus it won't link from fecebook pages due to a weird issue about an icon. So basically indiegogo seems a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks