KH pink noise test tones

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewErickson, Jan 23, 2004.

1. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

I have an AVR 325. What supposed be the sound output in dB when I set the master volume at -15 dB and calibrate to the internal pink noise test tones? I think I read somewhere that the speakers are supposed to put out 75 dB when the master is set at -15. Can anyone verify this?

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Not familiar w/your receiver, but what those instructions probably mean is that when the channels have been properly calibrated (i.e. w/a SPL meter and test tones) they should read 75db at -15db volume.

You do have an SPL meter, right? The Radio Shack one with the analog VU meter is the preferable one. [​IMG]

All speakers are different. Even different receivers with the same manufacturer/model number can be slightly different. You need to calibrate all 5/7 of your channels first. Then tweak.

3. AndrewErickson

Yes, I have the RS meter. I have to put my fronts at +9 dB to get 75 dB out of them at a master volume of -15 dB. That seems pretty high to me considering the speakers have a 89 dB sensitivity.

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    What gauge speaker wire are you using and do you have any other kind of "processing" applied already?

Is there a way for you to completely reset your receiver to factory specs and start over?

5. AndrewErickson

14 gauge wire. This is setting the receiver on logic 7 5.1

No need to reset the receiver because nothing else if affecting the channel setup.

I will call HK to get my answer. Thanks for your help!