What's new

Kevin Smith announces "Clerks 2" (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Jon --

That's what's funny about it. These guys are all losers. I see Jay 25 years from now, nearly bald, with a stocking hat slightly askew booting young dicks from the corner with stories of "the good ol' days". And be real, Dante and Randall were already mid-20's in the original.... working at a video store and a mini mart. They are destined to work the counter until the end of time. (I don't mean loser by working a counter by the way, so no offense to counter workers, a job is a job.)

Kevin Smith just doesn't have any "vision" anymore. Here's a guy who said he's not making J&SB movies anymore. Guy has a few bombs, so just goes back to what he knows.. in addition to the countless DVD re-releases of his old stuff.... Wow, he sounds more like George Lucas everyday. ;) j/k

Doug

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

It would be appear to be even worse than that, my friend. They're now in the food service industry, judging by the trailer. I'd definitely call that a step down.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To be honest, I think he'd even admit the hypocrosy of his "no more J&SB" stance, but a guy is allowed to change his mind, isn't he?

KS has always been a guy who generally makes films because it is what he wants to make, not because he's contractually obligated to do it, or to just make money.

KS is like George Lucas? How so? He doesn't use revisionist history with his films. The extended cut of Clerks was his original cut that was shown at Sundance. He didn't get final cut with Mallrats, so if he wants to put out a new cut of the film, that is also well within his rights. All of the new releases has additional stuff added as a part of it, so it isn't like Lucas and his endless rereleases on VHS.

Jason

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, Lucas would argue that he didn't get the final cut on the original Trilogy, either. It just so happens that he decided to do some "revisionist history" after 20 years, instead of 10, as Smith did. No different. And I love both directors, and respect their rights to do what they want with their work. The main difference is that Smith allows both cuts to still be seen, something I wish Lucas would do.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Clerks 2 just makes me...sad. But after Jersey Girl. Oh well, just a matter of time before The Return of Jay & Silent Bob.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I gotta say, that had me chuckling. Especially the opening Silence of the Lambs bit. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Felt raw like the original. After three films of consequtively more gloss, it's nice to be back to the roots. Anyone else notice the metal version of the Clerks animated theme?
Got me a lot more hopeful than the teaser.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Also, his longer "Mallrats" cut wasn't intended to replace the theatrical cut. Both cuts are on the "Mallrats X" disc and the longer cut is called "The Version That Should Have Never Been", it's intended more to demonstrate the effect of editing and rewrites using a comparison between a bloated, overlong film and the leaner, well-paced one.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have to admit a little disapointment that the yaren't still at the convienance store. Still looks good though.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Looks totally contrived, but still funny. I'll give it a chance, but it still stinks of Kevin failing to move forward.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Even if just for nostalgic purposes, I am really looking forward to this film. The first one is an all-time favorite. I'm definitely willing to give KS and the cast a viewing after providing so much laughter the first time around.

Do I expect it to be as good as Clerks? No, but I know I'll laugh enough to justify the cost of the ticket.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'll be seeing this one for sure, tomorrow. I hope the humor lends itself more towards the type we saw in the original Clerks rather than what they're playing on tv spots, where they focus on more gag humor in the vein of "Waiting."

I really don't think the film will be like that ultimately, though. It's probably just a better way to market it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks