What's new

Kenwood VR209 not 'listening' to remote (1 Viewer)

Scott Reiss

Agent
My first post here and after having looked through quite a bit on these fora for the last week or so, I am very impressed with the professionalism and expertise of the crowd. Glad I'm here! Now I know where to go with all my 'problems'!!

My first one is that I have been having trouble with my AV receiver (Kenwood VR209) only sporadically 'listening' to the remote. It tends not to hear it for a little while after it's first turned on, then it will respond correctly fairly regularly, then it will suddenly stop hearing anything at all, or it will respond to the first 'volume up' click but no other ones and then a little while later it will respond. And then sometimes it won't listen at all, and I get very frustrated.

A little while ago I emailed Kenwood technical support and they had me reset the unit (power on with power key depressed) which, first of all, resets everything so you have to spend an hour reconfiguring the receiver, but it did seem to fix the problem... for a while. Within a day or so, it was right back to its old tricks.

I've pretty much been living with it (with varying levels of frustration) but have just gotten the digital converter for digital cable. I haven't added it to the system yet, but I did program the remote for the Kenwood receiver. I found that the receiver was an equal opportunity ignorer as it seemed to display the same symptoms with that remote as with the factory remote for the Kenwood. So I've concluded it's the base unit.

Any recommendations beyond buying a new receiver? I'm sure the money spent on a repair would be much better put against a new unit at this point. Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Have you replaced the batteries in your remote?

When my remote starts running down, or if I get a bad set of batteries I tend to get these symptoms

Scott Reiss

Agent
I did try that, but without any good long term satisfaction... in other words, it wasn't like it worked perfectly for a month or so then started going downhill again.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
heck...can you return the darn thing? if not, how about picking up an inexpensive (or more pricey) universal remote?

i've got one (mx-500) that replaced eight of my other remotes without a hitch...of course the darn thing cost me about 140 bucks...but it was totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks