What's new

Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET -- the ultimate, merged, when-oh-when thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Warner seems hellbent on NEVER releasing this Hamlet, Wyatt Earp or Once Upon a Time in America.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Can we confirm it's definitely Warner?

I have seen posts also mention Columbia.

I would then send them a "nice" email and politely ask for them to consider a DVd of this film.

Rob

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
IMDb lists:

Castle Rock Entertainment [us]

Columbia Pictures Corporation [us]

Fishmonger Films

Turner Pictures [us]

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It is castle rock. When released to theaters and VHS it was distributed by Columbia. Now WB distributes castle rock product.

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
A special edition would be nice, but I'd settle for a good-looking, good-sounding movie-only disc.

Saw this in 70 mm last fall, and was reminded how great it is. It's a shame it never really found an audience.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Or a good-looking, good-sounding pair of movie-only discs as it's over 4 hours long!;)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam, when I was in High School, this version, along with the Sir Olivier version was required viewing. To make things even better, for some reason, my school (small city too) owned a 70mm print of it. I can't tell you how many times I saw it on our big screen (which, again for some reason, my school had).

cheers!

Josh

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Glad that I'm not the only one.

So does anyone have any suggestions how we can politely petition Warner to release this film?

Like many I'd be happy with a movie only (widescreen please), high quality audio visual presentation.

Of course a 2 disc collectors edition would be nice, but I guess that's me dreaming.

Rob

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'll tell you what audience it should find: high school students. Branagh's Hamlet is almost the perfect substitute for the Shakespeare text.
Shakespeare wrote these as PLAYS not sonnets. Meant to be seen AND heard
Therefore it's even BETTER than the text :)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I would pick this one up in a heartbeat as well. I don't think that all of Branagh's stunt casting pays off (Jack Lemmon and Gerard Depardieu come immediately to mind). However, on the other hand, there are a few performances that caught me by surprise. For instance, Billy Crystal's performance as the grave digger was extremely effective (and funny).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This would be a definite buy for me as well should Warner release it. I was fortunate enough to see it at a theater in Abilene after it had been out a while (but still during it's initial release). It was only a 35mm print, but it was still impressive.

RichD

Agent
Add me to the list of the people wanting to see this film on DVD. I still remember the New Yorker cartoon that showed a movie theater with Branagh's Hamlet on the marquee and "two hour parking" on the meters outside the theater. (As was the case where I saw it in DC!)

I'd like to see Mel Gibson's Hamlet on DVD, too, so that I can dump my P&S videotape. I like Gibson's performance better, and I like Branagh's completeness. Give me both.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My wife would love to have a DVD of this film as well; add her to the list of "ooo-ooo-ooo-Iwantthis" people! :)

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite things about this particular version of Hamlet are 1) Derek Jacobi (who is an amazing, brilliant Claudius, in my estimation), 2) Julie Christie, 3) Kate Winslet, and 4) the production design. I also find the completeness novel and rather satisfying.

I'm not a Mel Gibson fan at all, but I don't think his Hamlet is bad -- I just can't get past the typical dark, dank castle setting. I might buy it anyway, though -- I like Glenn Close as Gertrude.

Yes, I guess two discs would be necessary in light of the length. I'd still be cool with movie-only. And (as should go without saying), widescreen is ESSENTIAL for this film. I shudder at the thought of it in pan-n-scan. Yuch.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I've only seen this film once (fortunately in 70mm) and I'd also buy this in a heartbeat. Among its great moments, I think Branaugh's staging of Hamlet soliloquy against the mirrors was a master stroke.

-greg

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Every now and then, I kick myself for not buying the laser disc back in the day. I bought very few (rented mostly), but this is one to have. (Although I think there are problems with the LD.) I remember what a great experience the theatrical presentation was (and going across the street during the intermission for a burger and shake).

I also remember FOX-TV broadcast a P&S version of this one Thanksgiving.

Where oh where is the dvd?

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Stacie

My favorite things about this particular version of Hamlet are 1) Derek Jacobi (who is an amazing, brilliant Claudius, in my estimation), 2) Julie Christie, 3) Kate Winslet, and 4) the production design. I also find the completeness novel and rather satisfying.

I could not agreemore. Allow me to add that the music is quite stunning.

Rob

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Bill

Every now and then, I kick myself for not buying the laser disc back in the day.

I so agree. I had it in my hands 3 years ago - grrrrr

I am constantly amamzed that each week I see the release lists cluttered up with c*** and this filmdoes not get a lookin. I don't expect it to doMonsters Inc type volume, but.....

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks