What's new

KEN RUSSELL Fans!!! Do you want "THE MUSIC LOVERS"?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
MGM has a new "Unlock the Vault" sweepstakes contest on their website asking consumers which movies they would like to see on DVD. They have only about 20 movies listed and the majority are crap. But Ken Russell's THE MUSIC LOVERS (my most-wanted film on DVD for many years) is listed there! If you care anything about cinema, please go and vote! If you'd rather have trashy low-budget stuff like SLEEPAWAY CAMP 2 or BLOOD GAMES, that's available to vote for as well! Seeing THE MUSIC LOVERS on this contest finally gives me hope that this Ken Russell masterpiece will someday get a DVD release. Please help make it happen.

MGM.com : Official website of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. - Ars Gratia Artis

walter o

Supporting Actor
it would be nice if MGM teams up with Warner, and do a Ken Russell box set by including this, VALENTINO, SAVAGE MESSIAH, LITZTOMANIA, BOY FRIENDS and of course THE DEVILS.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Furriners not allowed...

The slightly perturbing thing is the screen which seems to be determining how/if these will be released - looks like MGM is exploring downloads (quelle surprise...). Christ on a bike, actually buying any newly released catalogue title on a pressed disc may become something of a luxury, sooner rather than later...

I'd have voted for The Music Lovers, A Doll's House, and I'd probably give Ghost Town (never seen it) a spin.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

You could always just pick a random US state in the form and your votes should go through. At least you'll get a vote, even if you'd be ineligible for the prize.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
What a strange list! Some of those films I have never heard of, and they are from the 90s.

DIAMOND SKULLS is actually DARK OBSESSION, the NC-17 rated Nick Broomfield film (a rare narrative film for him).

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

I voted for it too. It's incredible when you see this list of films how neglected Ken Russell is on Region 1 DVD!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Done!!!

While you are voting for Russell's opus, please consider also voting for Ladybird, Ladybird...a devastating social drama from veteran UK director Ken Loach....an amazing movie.

Static, a very low budget indie from director Keith Gordon...is also worth watching.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

The only Ken Russell film from the 70's (when Russell was at his prime and best) currently on Region 1 DVD is "TOMMY". That's it!

"MAHLER" was once out in a crappy full-frame transfer from Image, but is long OOP.

All of Russell's other films from the 70's: THE MUSIC LOVERS, THE DEVILS, THE BOY FRIEND, and SAVAGE MESSIAH are just rotting away. They're all excellent films and deserve to be on DVD. LISZTOMANIA and VALENTINO aren't in the same league, but still deserving of a DVD release. All we currently have are some of his 80's films and tv-cable projects where his budgets were a lot lower and the execution not as immersive. THE RAINBOW (1989) seemed to capture Russell back in his 70's prime again, but alas, that one's not on DVD, either. At least we recently got a box set of some of his 60's BBC films.

Currently, the lowest priced used VHS on Amazon Marketplace for SAVAGE MESSIAH is $90.00.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Technically, it is 1969 as it was released in the UK in 1969. The US release was early 1970 some time. So you can really take it either way, I guess.

David Nordone

Auditioning
Real Name
David Nordone
MGM- Please release Ken Russell's "The Music Lovers" in the DVD format. It is a milestone in film history, and many younger viewers have never even had the chance to experience this incredible specticle! PLEASE!!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally bought the laserdisc of the film a year or so ago because the prospects looked so bleak for a DVD/Blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks