What's new

Ken Burns' THE CIVIL WAR : Sept. 17th (1 Viewer)

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't notice this posted anywhere and I know there's quite a bit of interest. If it's already been noted, apologies for the duplication.
Here's the link:
http://www.videostoremag.com/
Look under 'Breaking news' for Warner Home Video Wins 'The Civil War'.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
About fargin time!! :)
This will be a must purchase for me. Now if we could get The Beatles Anthology for Christmas, and I will gladly eat my own face!!!

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
This has been at the top of my want list from day one! And I concur that the Beatles Anthology would be nice as well!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I got to see most of this in my U.S. History class, so I might pick this up! (Right before my birthday, too. :D )
I don't see what the connection with The Beatles Anthology is, though. :confused:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I distinctly remember watching this one every night of one week while in high school (after practice). I only fell asleep once (due to exhaustion, NOT boredom), which is a testament to the brilliance of this series. A certain purchase :)
Take care,
Chuck

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Nobody has any idea how long I've been waiting for this... I'm at work and my eyes have actually welled up with tears. Fine, laugh if you will, but the Baseball set and the individual KBurns biographies are the jewels of my 400+ DVD collection. This set, Beatles Anthology, and the KBurns America set were the three biggies for me yet and I'm just deliriously extatic right now...!!!!!!!!!! Ohmyfreakinlord - I can't stand this - This much smiling is making my face hurt...

DanHaya

Second Unit
Man, I didn't know that "Baseball" was out, either! Does anyone know if the DVDs contain anything that the VHS version didn't? I bought the deluxe set through BMG back when it came out on VHS...it's a lot nicer than the basic VHS set, so I wouldn't unload it unless the DVDs have something more to offer.

Also, ditto on the Beatles Anthology. That's be on my list too! But again, I have the VHS set, plus I taped the ABC version with the "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" music videos. The DVDs would need to have to contain some added value material (i.e. interview excerpts, photo library, etc.) for me to upgrade.

--Dan

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Man, I didn't know that "Baseball" was out, either! Does anyone know if the DVDs contain anything that the VHS version didn't?
A whole disc of extras--mostly Bob Costas interviews (the Yogi one is priceless)& a short making-of. Also, "baseball cards" for many players (you can call up stats for featured players).
The set is well worth it, as the picture quality is WAY better than the laser (so it must KILL the VHS), & the chaptering is much better.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I second that... The extras on the Baseball set are great - I probably watch the tenth "Extra Innings" disk as much as the regular nine innings themselves... Interviews with Bob Costas (on Mickey Mantle and their relationship), with Bob Costas again on the 98 baseball season and the big Sosa/McGuire home run race, Bob Gibson, Jackie Robinson's widow, and Yogi Berra are all done spectacularly well by the interview king, Charlie Rose. Good length on the interviews and Costas has always proven to be, not just an outstanding broadcaster, but a true fan of the game. I have so much respect for him...

The player cards w/stats are pretty nice and the location cards are great. You get the full history of the changing team names and their years, plus because of the date the set was created, I love the fact that it says the Texas Rangers are still playing at Enron Field...!!!!!

Bring on the 'War'!!!!!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I love the fact that it says the Texas Rangers are still playing at Enron Field...!!!!!
OK, gotta nitpick here. It's the Houston Astros who play at the former Enron Field (now Astros Field while they search for a new sponsor). The Rangers, of course, play at the Ballpark in Arlington.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Now I can finally retire my worn-out VHS box set!
I watch this series so often, every time I watch Law & Order now, I immediately get an Abe Lincoln flash in my head whenever Sam Waterston opens his mouth....

Users who are viewing this thread