What's new

KEF Q900 series 5.1 and recommended AV receiver (1 Viewer)

HenryCinaskie

Auditioning
Real Name
henry
Hello Everybody

I am very new to this forum, and I have to admit I am not very familiar with Audio setup. I recently purchased Q900(a pair)/Q300(a pair)/Q600(1)/Q400(1).

In addition to that I already have a Mitsubishi HD front projector and Onkyo TX-SR 607 AV receiver, and a Oppo 83 blu ray player.

I do enjoy both watching movies and listening to music, especially classical music and jazz. My question is regarding the sound setup.

I know that the AV receiver I have right now may not be a best candidate for the above speakers, and I would like to get some opinions from this forum. My budget is around $1000.00 for either AV receiver or separates (maybe too low for that?). But I would like to know what kind of alternatives I have in order to get the most from the speakers above.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Henry

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...Power is nothing more than how loud you can get the speakers to go.In theory...A 15wpc T-amp you can buy for $25 sounds the same as a McIntosh MC1000(1000 watt amp that a pair of runs around $10,000)...If both are producing 10 watts.Power is "never" a reason to upgrade...unless you simply don't have enough.Using my phone now, when at a computer I'll link a "room sound SPL calculator".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is that room calc...

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

By the way...I have the SR707 that I just fixed for "dead HDMI". Otherwise I have an Onkyo NR1008(that I use 9 channel) and two Integra(DTR 5.8 and 7.8). Also sitting in a closet I have a Denon AVR 4308. Just reviewed the Elite SC79. The SC79 is special(it should be, at its price) as it uses the ESS Sabre DAC(which is in the upgraded Oppo). You aren't getting ESS Sabre at $1000 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks