What's new

Kef or NHT (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
Its time again to purchase new speakers. I have narrowed my desision down between the NHT Supertwo and the Kef Q7. I have not had much of a chance to hear the Q7's, have had more Q5 time. I am hoping that the Q7's aren't boomy with that big 6x9 driver(please set my mind at ease). I have had exceptional experiences with both of these speakers. They both image well, but are fairly different sounding speakers. I am somewhat concerned that while watching movies I may run out of amplifier for the NHT's, being that my H/K AVR320 is only 55x5. I'm not really concerned about if for music though. I also wish the NHT's came in a woodgrain finish. So there's my dilema...The Supertwo's or Q7's(and matching center of coarse).

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
I do not find the Q7s to be boomy. My brother has them powered with a Marantz 9200.

Bri~A

Agent
I too do not find the Q7s to be boomy. From what I have head from others placement due to the rear porting of the Q7s is somewhat crucial and the "boominess" is typically a result of the speaker's backs being to close to a wall. I have been very happy with my Q-series surround setup. If you are looking for a more laid-back, British sounding speaker I would not hesitate to recomend these. Good luck w/ the decision.

Nick L

Second Unit
Well I went to the local stereo shop and did some comparing. They don't carry the Kef only the NHT's. I compared the NHT ST-4's and the B&W 603s3's. I really liked them both, but I think I came away with a better impression of the B&W's. They had a sweeter midrange that I really liked, more so than the NHT's. So for comparison sake now, I think its going to be between the Kef Q7 and the B&W 603s3. From what I understand they should be fairly similar speakers. Hopefully I'll get some more time this weekend to do a good comparison. Feel free to comment if you have had any exerience with these two speakers. I always look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Nick L

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
NHT's love power so as much as I love em, you won't be happy driving them a 55 watt HK. HK probably has a better chance at driving NHT's than most other brands however but you would need the 525 at least. What was driving the ST4's and 603's in the demo?

Nick L

Second Unit
I will admit I demo'd them in two different rooms. The NHT's were being driven by a Pioneer Elite vsx-41 and the B&W's were being driven by a Denon 3803. I am going to go back in on Saturday and do an a/b test with them both hooked up to some good two channel equipment. Then I'm going to head over and listen to the Kef Q's.

I have an AVR320 for my reciever. Do you think that would be enough to power the St-4's? What NHT's do you have and what are you powering them with?

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks