What's new

Keep my DVD-1600 or get the Elite DV-45A (1 Viewer)

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
I was at my local Hi Fi dealer today looking at new receivers and he gave me a very good deal on a Pioneer Elite 45tx receiver and a DV-45A DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. I currently have a Denon DVD-1600 that I really love, but wouldnt mind being able to play SACD's. How is this dvd player for movies? I know Secrets trashed this player and loved the 1600, which is why I bought the 1600. So, any thoughts.

And if i should keep the 1600, which is a good CD/SACD player???

Thanks,

Zak

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I have the 45A. The video isn't even as good as my el cheapo JVC prog. player. Audio is a whole other story, of course. The best sol'n is to own both.

Martin.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Zak,

Looks like you and I are on different ends of the spectrum. I have a DV45A hooked up to a 45TX, and also saw the Secrets review of these players, and it got me thinking if I should get the Denon 1600 or one of the outgoing Panny models. I've had the DV45A since winter (Dec./Jan.), and have probably watched close to 100 movies on it, and can't say that I have seen any picture quality issues on it. Several other owners on this forum would say the same thing. Supposedly there is some chroma bug running around in it, but I haven't noticed. What I have noticed are the vivid colors on certain DVD's such as Austion Powers - Goldmember and Far from Heaven (I know chick flick). I have noticed being able to see the pores on Val Kilmer's face in Tombstone and several other movies. My only samll complaint about the player is that the internal buffer doesn't seem to be up to speed. Every once in a great while there will be a small hitch in the video (very similar to a quick skip on a CD). But this is the extreme exception. I believe that I have come to conclusion to stick with what I got.

As for DVD-A and SACD, I've been to Best Buy dozens of times and have scoured the Net looking for discs from artists I enjoy and have relatively few. It does seem that there are a lot more SACD titles out there, so there is probably some added benefit of having SACD functionality if you enjoy your music.

Might be best to do some A/B testing on the 2 models. I think one of the Toy Story scenes was the one people were using for chroma bug testing. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with specifics. And, as far as straight CD/SACD players go, I think Sony's ES models have that locked up. Best of luck!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Might be best to do some A/B testing on the 2 models. I think one of the Toy Story scenes was the one people were using for chroma bug testing. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with specifics.
Yup, Chapter 4 of TS. Woody is holding a microphone. The mic, as well as the top of the Tinker Toy box are said to show the chroma bug. BTW, some players will hide this if you pause, so you should watch this live.

I have a 45A, and don't see the problem with those scenes. FWIW, I also have a Sony 650D in my rig. When checking the scenes with that player, the mic and box lid look pretty much like the sample on secrets, so I can say that the 45A is better (way better) than my 650D. YMMV.

If you have both a 1600 and a 45A, its a no brainer; try them both with the test scenes listed on secrets.

Then you can make up your own mind.

BGL

Guy Robinson

Agent
Well the 45a is the best all around player for high-quality music that I have heard. I don't use it much for video but when I do I see no problems. I am using a 32" direct view so it is not high-definition but everything from the video output is wonderful. For me it is the ability to play high-quality DVD-A and SACD which this player does without issue. Also it has not had a problem with the hundreds of discs that I have played on it. Three friends have bought this player after hearing it. Honestly, you can do no better. I usually trade in my DVD player every 3 or 4 months and I have had this one for 6 months now and I see no reason for replacing it. The ability to put any CD sized disc and have it play automatically, is in itself a thing of beauty.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Get a Philips DVD 963SA, it's so good at Redbook, SACD, DVD video and audio. You won't be disapointed. I plan to get one as soon as the wallet allows cause the source I use now just died:frowning:

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I'm going to keep my 1600 and pass on the Elite 45a. I'll just keep looking for a cd/sacd/dvd-a player that is in my budget. I'm liking the Sony ES 222 something or other. It's a 5 disc changer, plays cd's and sacd's. So we'll see.

Thanks for the info.

Zak

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks