What's new

Keen Eddie - 6/3/03 (1 Viewer)

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, really liked it--the hot chicks don't hurt either...

How is it networks find these summer fillers that are so good, but give us crap for the "real" regular season?

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I watched it but found it a little up and down. We definitely will give it a couple more weeks though. The british guy they teamed him with was very interesting with the sex party and all.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I dig it. I gather the editing style is going to be somewhat less frenetic in the rest of the episodes, which would be a Good Thing, so long as the characters stay as quirky.

How is it networks find these summer fillers that are so good, but give us crap for the "real" regular season?
They order them for the regular season, and then can't find a place on the schedule (I think one draft of Fox's fall 2002 schedule had Keen Eddie Wednesdays at 9pm, Fastlane after John Doe on Friday, and Firefly held for midseason); I think Fox wound up holding KE all the way to summer because it was offbeat and might benefit from not having to compete against another twenty new shows for attention.

Now, the question is whether Fox is looking at this as burning off the 13 episodes they bought or whether they would bring it back mid-season should it take off.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I was also taken by surprise by the quality of this show. Story-wise, it probably could have done without the sex-party bit, but the hilarious soccer (sorry, football ;)) commentary towards the end made up for it. It doesn't look like an Emmy-winner, but it shows promise. Unfortunately, that's the kind of show Fox loves to cancel.

BTW, did anybody catch if this was in Fox Widescreen/EDTV?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Simon West directed this episode (he also did Lara Croft Tomb Raider), so all the stylistic camera tricks were on full display.

I found myself only paying attention when Eddie's new roomie was in the scene. Mmm...

The swingers scene was rather abrupt, but not necessarily an unwelcomed development.

The cat and dog bits were also the funnier parts of the premiere.

Having the guy from the MI5 (James Bond films of late) be a head cheese for the London side of police force was a little offputting, but I'll get used to it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm just trying to figure out how they're going to keep Alexei Sayle as a regular. He's funny, no question about that, but how do you keep wedging him into the story?

Unfortunately, that's the kind of show Fox loves to cancel.
Just remember that it's also the kind of show that no-one but Fox produces at all, and the unorthodox scheduling will likely give it 13 straight weeks without any real competition to develop an audience. Fox may throw a lot of stuff up against the wall hoping something will stick, but I'm sure glad that they keep trying.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
BTW, did anybody catch if this was in Fox Widescreen/EDTV?
It was not telecast this way by the Fox affiliate in DFW. I did not notice the usual EDTV/Widescreen blurb at the beginning of the show, but then again I may have been playing with the cats when it flashed across.

Chuck Parker

Agent
I enjoyed this one quite a bit - quirky, witty, and entertaining all around. Still, as several have offered up already, this is exactly the kind of show Fox loves to cancel.

Anyway - here's to hoping "Keen Eddie" sticks around a while...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It wasn't widescreen in NYC. FOX here broadcasts a ton of EDTV stuff in widescreen here, so I'm inclined to think it's just not in widescreen.

I don't know if I'm bothered by West ripping off Guy Ritchie so completely, but it was better than, say, John Doe. It also felt like it was more interesting for the visuals than the dialog, plot, or logic.

Fun enough to be a keeper during the summer doldrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks