What's new

Karate Kid Collection - 2/1/2005 (1 Viewer)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
When movies are released in a set of four movies of its series, someone may be forced to buy all four in order to buy one of them, but what's the deal with renting? When this set comes out, will I be able to rent the first Karate Kid movie on its own, or would I have to rent all four to see it?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've held off owning The Karate Kid for many years since it was pan & scan only. I can hold off for a few more years until it's released OAR on it's own, since I have no intention of buying 2-4 just to get the first one. :thumbsdown:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. I really want the first movie in 16x9 WS OAR, but I do *NOT* want this set. I'm with George.

GRRRRR :angry:

The original movie, for those of us who grew up in the 80's, is an icon. It's like Beastmaster, Legend of Billy Gene, and E.T....one of those movies that "defines" our youth.

-dave

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Video stores rent out these sets as individual titles -- like Indy or multi-disc TV sets. Renting just #1 shouldn't be an issue.

Karate Kid was the first movie I ever saw 3 times. (Once with my Tae Kwon Do class!)

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an idea:
Blockbuster is still doing their buy back a DVD for $5, why don't we buy the full set then sell back KK 2-4 for a total of a $15, this way you get KKI in 16X9 OAR for only $10! The problem I may see is that the individual discs may not have their own UPCs. That would be a problem, but this could prove to be a decent alternative if it works and people really want the first KK ASAP.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Because my policy on OAR is so strong, I have adopted, pretty much from day one, a habit of skipping, sequels, also, if the original film in the series isn't in it's OAR. Like for instance Child's Play, I don't own any of those because the original is open matted (damn MGM), thus, if I buy the others, my collection would be incomplete, so I ignor all of them.

That's why I skipped all of the Karate Kid films on dvd, if I can't have the original in it's OAR, to hell with them all. So i'm thankful that this set is coming, i'm on it when it get's here.

Also, the notion of The Karate Kid teaching kid's violence is utter nonsense. The film is about freindship and not fighting, but sometimes one has to.

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
This is the latest news about The Karate Kid SE Box SE:

Columbia Tri-Star has announced the release of The Karate Kid Collection boxed set. The set will arrive on the 1st of February, and will feature anamorphic widescreen transfers and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround soundtracks for all four films in the series. Extras will include director, writer and cast commentary with John Avildsen, Robert Kamen, Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, a ‘Beyond the Form’ featurette with the film's Karate trainer Pat Johnson, an ‘East Meets West: A Composer's Notebook’ featurette with composer Bill Conti, a ‘Life of Bonsai Featurette’, and ‘The Way of the Karate Kid’ making-of featurette. The retail price for the disc should be around the $36.95 mark.

I this is the release everybodies been waiting for. To bad it's not Dolby 5.1 sound.

DaveJJ

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Sounds awesome! I don't mind that they're not in 5.1, the original tracks are offered and that fine with me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joel C

Screenwriter
I sold my copy of Karate Kid II for $35 in December, so I'll actually come out ahead on this.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I liked the first two, and if I can get those two movies for ~$27 and then get the other two for what I would consider free, I'm all over this. Im with everyone else that it sucks that they are making us buy all the movies instead of just the first one, but its Columbia, would you expect any less?

I wont let a greedy film studio get in my way of enjoying the movies I want.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
$25.87 at Amazon for all four films? That's $6.47 per film, cheaper than buying a ticket per film if they were to be re-released at my local multiplex. I'm in, unless any of them are not in their OAR.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
All four films are OAR (at least, according to the packaging ;) ).

The screener arrived yesterday, and I should have a review up this weekend. The packaging is the same as that used for the Hellboy 3-disc set (solid slipcase with 3 half-thick plastic single-disc cases inside), which I dig. No booklet that I could see before unwrapping it, though.

Britton

Screenwriter

That is great news! Aaron, you're the best around, nothing's gonna ever keep you down!

Only 3 cases? Do KK3 and NKK share a case?

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor

Holy cow that's a funny post... best one this year.:D

This is one of the best films to teach children and teens that we don't live in a Fantasyworld and there really are people out there who aren't very nice... just ask the family of the Michigan minor hockey coach that was beaten to death by a parent.

Numerous messages abound including just what does and does not comprise socially acceptably behaviour through examples as follows:

-Respect for your elders
-Problems our youth face as they mature
-Cheating
-Lying
-Overcoming pain and adversity
-Targeting and achieving goals
-Learning and accepting cultural diffences
---

There's no way on earth I want more than the first one or two in the series though. Looks like a trip to Blockbuster.
:frowning:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Including if you are honorable and true you'll get babes like Elisabeth Shue and Tamlyn Tomita :)

Actually, I had no idea that was Tamlyn Tomita in KKII. It's been so long since I've seen it...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They are on one disc, but I haven't opened it yet and the box doesn't state whether it's double-sided or both on one side. I'll let y'all know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks