What's new

KA-POW! The Official "Unofficial" DC/Marvel Animated Movies & Shows Thread (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
5503316a_14491header_banner8055603.jpg

I just found this interview on http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.14419.chris_yost~colon~_earth~apos~s_mightiest_writer

../../../images/833754._The_Avengers_Earth_s_Mightiest_Heroes_Assemble/from/content.story.14419

http://marvel.com/images/833745.Final_color_art_for_Iron_Man_from_The_Avengers_Earth_s_Mightiest_Heroes_/from/content.story.14419

http://marvel.com/images/833737.Final_color_art_for_Captain_America_from_The_Avengers_Earth_s_Mightiest_Heroes_/from/content.story.14419

http://marvel.com/images/833742.Final_color_art_for_Thor_from_The_Avengers_Earth_s_Mightiest_Heroes_/from/content.story.14419

Final color art for the Hulk from "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!"

Marvel.com: Any last "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes! teases for fans?

Chris Yost: If you've been following the Micro-Episodes, you've seen the heroes in action, facing HYDRA, the Wrecking Crew, the Red Skull, Klaw, Abosrbing Man--[and] we've hinted at Kang, Loki, Ultron and more--well, I can tell you that you haven't seen anything yet. The fight against Graviton is just the beginning. By the time we hit our November two-parter, you'll start to see the scope of this show.
The producers, writers, crew, we're all fans, and we all love the Avengers as much as you do. And "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!" is going to give you "a day unlike any other."

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Found this at HERO COMPLEX; more appetite whetting, I say:

[COLOR= #b22222]‘Ben 10? creators talk about bringing ‘Ultimate Spider-Man’ to TV [/COLOR]

FIVE QUESTIONS: MAN OF ACTION

Man of Action Studios has proven itself with the hits “Ben 10” and “Generator Rex,” and now they take on an especially intriguing project — “Ultimate Spider-Man,” a fresh animated-show take on the iconic wall-crawling superhero from Marvel Comics. The team will be the supervising producers for the first season of the show but it won’t reach the air on Disney XD until 2012. That’s a long way off, but here’s an e-mail interview I conducted with the team to get a sense of their compass points for a show that is a priority for the new leadership at Marvel Television.

GB: Spider-Man has such a long history on the page now and so many artistic interpretations, from Steve Ditko and John Romita on through Todd McFarlane and John Romita Jr. and Mark Bagley and Paolo Rivera. Then there’s the previous animated-show versions and the Hollywood feature films and even the memorable work in video games at this point. Can you talk about the process of finding this new version?

MOA: With Marvel Television, there’s definitely a new kind of autonomy in place, so we’re very much in a position where we’re starting from a clean slate. Man of Action is very aware of what’s worked and what hasn’t worked in the past — that kind of property analysis is part of what we do creatively as a company — so we’re pretty confident that we can avoid all the various land mines that exist. And, of course, the folks at Marvel are more than aware of this stuff too. At the same time, everyone involved has their favorite version of Spider-Man, obviously we’re all huge fans of the character, and there’s probably room for considering all of them and distilling them down into something very clean and focused for the show. We’re all working together to roll out something very cool, something no one has ever seen.

GB: Tone is such a fundamental decision. How would you describe the tone of this new series?

MOA: At this point, we can safely say that the tone of “Ultimate Spider-Man,” the show, will be unlike any iteration of the property that has existed before. We’ve got a specific mandate to make this show, in a word, unique. So that’s what we’re doing … and we’re doing it in ways you’d never imagine. We’re going places that no Spider-Man cartoon — or probably any superhero cartoon — has ever gone before. For all of us at Man of Action, that’s a lot of what makes this exciting for us.

GB: Will you start with the origin story or…?

MOA: Between the comics, the films, the TV shows, the video games and more, everyone pretty much knows Spider-Man’s origin by now, so it’s not exactly a priority to start at square one. It’s a fundamental aspect of the character and it will be addressed, but the way in which it’s addressed within the show is just one of many surprises that we’ve got in store.

G.B.: Without giving away any surprises, talk a bit about a moment, a scenario or a plot point that has you especially excited, just to get fans as intrigued as you are.If we mentioned *anything* right now, we’d be giving away a surprise, not to mention violating all kinds of confidentiality agreements! Needless to say, we’re psyched about the overall approach we’re taking and the fact that we’re going to do something different from anything that’s been done before. No one will be able to see this coming, which is a big part of what Man of Action brings to the table to begin with: unpredictability.

GB: Who’s the most underappreciated Spider-Man villain?

MOA: Spider-Man has one of the coolest rogues galleries ever, so it’s difficult to come up with any of them that you could consider to be “underappreciated.” Over 50 years of Spider-Man comics means that all of the classic villains have had great stories told about them because they’re compelling characters. But where the show is concerned, there are definitely some big surprises in store, specifically in terms of the villains that Spidey will go up against. And remember, we’ve got the entirety of the Marvel Universe to work with in this show. Should be a fun ride for everyone.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Heading down tomorrow to Wal-Mart to pick up [SIZE= 12px]SUPERMAN/SHAZAM!: THE RETURN OF BLACK ADAM; they got it for $13.86. [/SIZE]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is somewhat disapointing.
The disc only has four shorts totaling about 55 minutes including the Shazam short.
I expected this to be another "movie" like the previous DC releases.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Oh, wow, you didn't know that? I have to admit I'm a little flabbergasted that they would actually construct a whole DVD around a 20 minute short, something they could have just added on to the next DC flick, but you know studios, their thinking goes along the lines of 'how can we get more money from the masses?'

I haven't seen it yet, I'm still preoccupied with the latest Roger Corman films, but I did slap the DVD on just to take a look at the menu. I dig the music, and I like that they included two episodes from JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED. I understand those shorts they put on the other DC movies are longer here. Sweet, the best one was that GREEN ARROW short, the worst was JONAH HEX, and that's only because the story didn't make any sense to me.

I'll probably end up seeing this next week.

DC's next actual movie is ALL-STAR SUPERMAN .

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Picked mine up on Blu Tuesday night after telling myself I wouldn't. However, I'm a completist and I would feel the collection is incomplete without Superman/Shazam. I probably won't have time to watch any of it for a few weeks, though.

Part of me thought it was strange something this "meaningless" was released on its own disc. Then another thought struck me: DC Comics doesn't really have anything MAJOR and new on the shelf for Christmas this year. Superman/Batman Apocalypse has been out for a while, as has Batman: Under the Red Hood. All Star Superman isn't until next year; people aren't running out to get Jonah Hex and there was no other big DC comic book movie this year. So it stands to reason they cobble something together, put Superman on the cover and see what happens. Then, next year, they'll have Green Lantern and three other animated movies.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Yeah, that might have been another reason to put this DVD together; something to tide us fans over until ALL-STAR SUPERMAN. Concerning THE AVENGERS cartoon, I think, they're up to episode 5, which just aired this past Wednesday. As long as the action animation stays fluid and consistent, I'm there, once it starts to look like shit, I'm out. So far, though, everything's humming along fine. Thor and Wasp encountered some freakish villain called, Modok, if I remember that correctly. And, I like how they commented, in their G-rated dialog, on how freakish looking he was, and he was, too. A huge hovering head with these two infant-like arms and legs. Even his voice was freaky. There was another villain in the "Living Legend" episode that had his huge head confined in this robotic suit; that was freaky looking, too.

I can't wait for YOUNG JUSTICE, the two part premiere is going to air November 26th at 7pm, and, I say, that's just about going to blow THE AVENGERS right out of the water. And, they might do it again with DC's CGI GREEN LANTERN next year. Marvel has simply got to get their shit together when it comes to their animated stuff.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
For anyone who's still watching THE AVENGERS, they're airing the two-parter, GAMMA WORLD, back-to-back, Friday, November 26th, at 8:30 pm, instead of the usual Wednesday night. And, then they start repeating the episodes we just saw. Don't know for how long. That's the one thing I hate about series television--repeats!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I was just over at MARVEL's site and reading the transcript of their live-blog to tonight's episode and someone noted that there are no new episodes scheduled for December, and the reply he, or she, got was that they were in the process of locking that down, so we wouldn't have to wait long, or at all. I understand this upcoming two part GAMMA WORLD is a big deal, from what I read on that live-blog. Seriously, looking forward to it now. The action animation was pretty awesome for tonight's ep when Black Panther kicked Man-Ape's ass. Thor was absent, for some reason. I expect the ass-kicking meter to be off the charts for GAMMA WORLD. Yee-Ha!

Oh, an I also expect YOUNG JUSTICE, earlier that night, to be kicking THE AVENGERS' ass all over the place with their collective animation awesomeness.

Here's the crazy ass awesome commercial for YOUNG JUSTICE! Just found it on YouTube! WOW!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
7094f23c_supermanshazam-the-return-of-black-adam-20101110105059721.jpg

Finally got around to watching SUPERMAN/SHAZAM!: THE RETURN OF BLACK ADAM last night, and, man, was I impressed. It seems the only people that can top DC in their animated ventures is DC itself. These shorts have better animation---character and action---than their feature length movies do. Anyhow, this was essentially an origin story for who Captain Marvel is. This wizard named, Shazam, created a defender for mankind, called, Black Adam, but he eventually fell prey to the seven deadly sins all us humans have to contend with, on varying levels, every day of our lives, and it turned him into a psycho with a God complex. So, while Shazam went about selecting a new hero , he was banished to the far corners of the universe.

Enter Billy Batson, who's basically a homeless kid living in the city, but unbeknownst to him Black Adam has been on a journey back to Earth ever since his banishment, so he can eradicate his successor and reinstate is own rule. And, he happens to arrive when Billy is only twelve, forcing Shazam to trigger his super hero powers before he's ready, or old enough, to even comprehend them.

What results is another bad-ass confrontation of God-like beings who are destined to mete out devastating levels of comic book brutality amongst themselves as they try to prove to each other that they are the ones who know best. And, as I mentioned before, when super heroes with these kinds of powers enter the battle arena, it generally means a lot of real estate is going to get up-heaved, and tossed around like they were nothing but weightless playthings. People, too, now that I think about it.

125bb9bb_44347-8cb22.jpg

And, seeing how the animation here is so superior to even DC's own animated movies, you will see Captain Marvel, Superman, and Black Adam dish out, and take, blows would make us puny humans literally blow into a thousand pieces, I suspect, and which will make you say, "FFFuuuuccckkk!" Right crosses, left crosses, uppercuts, a kick, or two, and more than your average share of body blows are all rendered in painfully cool animation. More so than you'd get in a full length feature. At least, that's how it seemed to me.

The one blow that will stand out is a right cross Captain Marvel gives Black Adam, and it's at the end of the show, and when our hero has just about reached his breaking point where, if this was an R-rated flick, he'd be saying, "Oh, fuck this! You are so dead, motherfucker!" The impact is shown in slow motion, where you can see Black Adam's cheek mush up, his lips pucker out, and his whole face distort with the impact.

"Wow," is all I could think. "Ha!" I think, I actually said out loud.

George Newbern recreates his Superman/Clark Kent voice, the one he did from the JUSTICE LEAGUE/JLU series, and Jerry O'Connell does the voice of Captain Marvel. Arnold Vasloo (THE MUMMY, HARD TARGET) does Black Adam's.

Now, the shorts that come with it, the ones that were on the movies that had been released previously, are supposed to be a little longer on this new DVD, but, as I watched them, I couldn't see anything in the way of new footage. Of course, there must be, if that's what's being touted, but I couldn't pick any out. Well, whether they're longer, or not, I like them all, except for JONAH HEX, and that's only because the story didn't impress me. My favorite was GREEN ARROW. Black Canary makes a cameo appearance at the end of that one, and some of my favorite episodes from JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED were the ones dealing with these two, and their budding romance.

In closing, I recommend this to all DC/Marvel animation fans.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
DisneyXD. It's channel 120, up here in the Northeast. It also has an HD channel, 1831.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Just released yesterday! The entire series! Now, if I just had the damn money . . .

d1029af8_91wPZ7-UMrL__AA1500_.jpg

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Just got done watching the premiere of YOUNG JUSTICE and I was seriously, I mean, seriously, impressed. With the character design as well as the action animation. Tell me I'm not the only one you saw this tonight?! I will officially go on the record and say DC now has a successor to JUSTICE LEAGUE and JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, and like JLU, the second to last season, Cadmus seems to be the season long story arc's major villain.

Now, getting prepped for THE AVENGERS, GAMMA WORLD, two-parter . . . will report back at 9:30.

UPDATE: Wow, that was a damn good episode! Animation kicked ass, too! And, I liked Thor a bit more with this one, as well. Only disappointment . . . I was hoping the Hulk was going to kick more ass than he did. Man, do people get unbelievably jacked-up when they mutate on gamma radiation.

Oh, yeah, and during YOUNG JUSTICE they confirmed that the series will start in January, and during THE AVENGERS they had a commercial that indicted there was going to be a NEW episode Sunday, December 5th. I'm wondering if they're moving the series to Sundays now. Won't know until then, though.

On a completely unrelated note, I saw that new TRANSFORMERS: PRIME series on The Hub, and, well, It looks like I'm just not a Transformer fan anymore. And, they also had a sneak peak at G.I. JOE: RENEGADES, which was better, but, I sill felt lukewarm about. I'm more apt to give that latter series a try than I would Transformers, just to see where the story goes. Animation on Joe series was pretty good.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I was just on MARVEL's website and reading the chat they did for this episodes LiveBlog and they confirmed the series will now be airing on Sundays at 10 am, starting December 5th, with an episode titled, MASTERS OF EVIL.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I just learned via Digital Bits that ALL-STAR SUPERMAN is set for release on 2/22/11 in a single-disc DVD, 2-disc DVD Special Edition and a Blu-ray/DVD Combo editions. Hmmm, a DVD/Blu-Ray combo, hey? If I got enough money I might get it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Here it is, guys, the artwork for ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, and I gotta say I'm loving it! You know, this might be my first DVD/Blu-Ray Combo buy since it's priced exactly the same as the Special Edition. Here are the AMAZON links. Remember, it's coming out 2/22/2011

• [SIZE= 16px]http://www.amazon.com/All-Star-Superman-Blu-ray-Combo-Digital/dp/B004EE30C8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1291420603&sr=1-1

In All-Star Superman, the Man of Steel rescues an ill-fated mission to the Sun (sabotaged by Lex Luthor) and, in the process, is oversaturated by radiation – which accelerates his cell degeneration. Sensing even he will be unable to cheat death, Superman ventures into new realms – finally revealing his secret to Lois, confronting Lex Luthor’s perspective of humanity, and attempting to ensure Earth’s safety before his own impending end with one final, selfless act.

The celebrity-packed voice cast is headed by James Denton (Desperate Housewives) as Superman, Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) as Lois Lane, and Anthony LaPaglia (Without A Trace) as Lex Luthor. The stellar cast includes seven-time Emmy® Award winner Ed Asner (Up) as Perry White, Golden Globe® winner Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under) as Ma Kent, Matthew Gray Gubler (Criminal Minds) as Jimmy Olsen and Linda Cardellini (ER) as Nasty.

Arnold Vosloo (The Mummy), Catherine Cavadini (The Powerpuff Girls), Finola Hughes (General Hospital), Alexis Denisof (Angel), Obba Babatunde (That Thing You Do!), Michael Gough (Batman) and John DiMaggio (Futurama) round out the voice cast.

Based on the Eisner Award-winning DC Comics series/graphic novel of the same name by Grant Morrison with illustration by Frank Quitely, All-Star Superman is executive produced by animation guru Bruce Timm and directed by Sam Liu (Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths) from a script by acclaimed comics writer Dwayne McDuffie (Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths).

All-Star Superman 2-Disc Special Edition DVD features approximately 1 1/2 hours of exciting extra content, including:
    • Feature film (est. 75 min)
    • Sneak Peak at Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
    • Featurette: “Superman Now” – In a moment of inspiration, Grant Morrison was provided an opportunity to revamp the Man of Steel into something modern, something more relevant for today’s audience. This is the story of All-Star Superman – where it all started, and what it came to be
    • Two bonus episodes from animated television series handpicked by Bruce Timm

All-Star Superman Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack will include approximately 2 1/2 hours of intriguing bonus features, starting with all of the content available on the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD and adding:
    • Featurette: “Incubating the Idea” – A conversation with Grant Morrison
    • Audio Commentary: Bruce Timm and Grant Morrison
    • All-Star Superman Digital Comic Book
    • Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
    • Digital copy on disc of the feature film

"The All-Star Superman comic was the work of two immensely talented creators at the absolute top of their game," said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer, DC Entertainment. "Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman is one of those modern classics, and I can't wait to see it brought to life as an animated film."

“Grant Morrison’s fascinating comic vision comprised all the aspects of a truly great film – action, drama, fantasy, romance, sacrifice and hope – and the animation team of Bruce Timm, Sam Liu and Dwayne McDuffie have passionately translated that vision into an enthralling movie experience no Superman fan can resist,” said Hersin Magante, WHV Marketing Director of Family and Animation. “As the next entry in the ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original Movies, All-Star Superman stands as a shining example of the creative heights possible from the partnership of Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Home Video.” [/SIZE]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[COLOR= #ff0000]NYCC: Animated 'All Star Superman' Is 'Very, Very Faithful' To Comic, Says Bruce Timm[/COLOR]

Posted 10/9/10 12:59 pm ET by Rick Marshall in DC Comics

MTV's SPLASH PAGE: Just a few weeks ago, we brought you the first look at "All Star Superman," the upcoming animated feature based on Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's celebrated comic book arc.

During this year's [COLOR= #ff0000]New York Comic Con[/COLOR], I spoke with "All Star Superman" executive producer Bruce Timm to find out how closely the movie follows the comic, and where the film falls in the veteran producer's long list of highly praised animated features.

"It is a very, very faithful adaptation of the comic," said Timm. "We try to stay as close to the comic in terms of the story and the dialogue and even the visual style, as close as we could get to it."

DC's 12-issue "All Star Superman" was first published in 2005, and follows the Man of Steel as he decides how to spend the remaining days of his life after discovering that a recent Earth-saving encounter has left him dying. The animated movie will feature "Desperate Housewives" actor James Denton as the voice of Superman, "Mad Men" actress Christina Hendricks as Lois Lane, and "Without a Trace" leading man Anthony LaPaglia as Lex Luthor.

"Whether we're successful in doing a really good adaptation of the comic or not, that will be debated endlessly on the internet, I'm sure," said Timm. "But I think we did a really good job. It's actually my favorite of all the DC movies we've done so far."

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
COMICS CONTINUUM: [SIZE= 12px]Cartoon Network has announced that Young Justice will premiere as a weekly series on Friday, Jan. 7 at 7 p.m. (ET/PT). The series premiere follows a one-hour preview that aired Nov. 26. [/SIZE][SIZE= 14px]The first two episodes airing in December will be repeats of the two-part "independence Day." [/SIZE]

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Found this on YouTube. It's labeled as a new trailer, but it's nothing more than a 1:57 minute scene of an upcoming episode with a nano-second teaser thrown in at the end. Regardless, the animation is fuckin' insane:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks