What's new

JVC RX 8030 VBK DD EX DTS ES Rcvr? (1 Viewer)

Blair

Auditioning
Does anyone know anything about this Rcvr? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
I have the RX8000 about 1.5 yrs now. The 8030 is its replacement. Pretty good for the money. It's not the best but not the worst either. Easy to use. It does its job. If you have +2000 cubic ft room, you might want more power to be able to hit 85 dBC reference levels.
If you like it - buy it and use the saved money on movies. If you're more critical check out Denon, Onkyo, and others in that price grouping.
Get one with ProLogic 2 though, you wouldn't regret it. I wished I had it for 2ch music and movies.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I have the RX8000 about 1.5 yrs now. The 8030 is its replacement.
Actually, there were a few models in between: the 8010, 8020 and the current 8030 represents the replacement of the 8000VBK.

I also owned the RX-8000VBK. S&V tested it out - it was able to produce 68 watts when 5 channels were driven. The receiver was rated at 100 wpc. Had it not been for the desire to jump to Pro Logic II, I probably would still have it. It was quite powerful - and included a built-in equalizer so you could essentially "fine-tune" your center channel speaker if it was not of the same timbre of your other surround speakers.

Curtis, Have you *owned* a JVC receiver to back up your negative comment regarding JVC ?? Actually, the 8000VBK that I owned was built like a tank. At least when the 8000VBK was released 3-4 years ago, it featured an adjustable subwoofer crossover -- something that Yamaha has recently introduced in their latest models. :)

CurtisC

Second Unit
Wayne,yes I have owned 5 jvc avr's from 1985 to 2000,also several vcr's,dvd players.My only really good jvc avr was a 1988 or so pro logic model(901 i think).It was 1k retail(so said the price tag),I bought it for 500 bucks at best buy in Dallas.It has thousands of hrs on it and still works 100%.It led me to buy lots more jvc stuff,none of which ever came close to the same quality.Long story short I went through sveral jvc avr's in an attempt to update to dolby digital in late 90's.The last one I tried was the 1028,again I think that was the #,it retailed for almost 1k.This was the last straw for me,the quality/sound was not even close to the old jvc.After that I decided to take a new approach,I tried many mid to higher end avr's at home for several days to several weeks.I did finally find a true quality avr for about the same price the top jvc's retail for,much better components and quality.For the sake of argument I won't mention which company,its a well known co thats been around a long time,quasi mass market.I'm not telling you if you like jvc you're wrong,as you know you have every right to like what you want.This was an answer to a ?"any help will be appreciated"just trying to help,and a rather lenghthy answer to you're ? jvc still makes ok stuff but you're mid fi dollar can go farther,this is only my experience and not meant to offend .

Bill Will

Screenwriter
CurtisC, Take a look at the "new" JVC RX-DP20VBK with the Texas Instruments "Aureus" chip. From JVC: "Currently, it's the world's fastest, highest peforming chip of it's kind & JVC is the first to have it." This Receiver is loaded but will have to see how the tests reports on it turn out but the JVC RX-DP10VBK & JVC RX-9VBK which it's based on have been getting some pretty good reviews. As for the RX-80xxVBK line for the price, features & audio quality I would say it's right there with the lower-priced Kenwoods, Pioneers, Sony DE & etc. The thing that bothers me about the 8030 is that it can't handle 4ohm speakers like the old RX-80xxVBK line did so I wonder how good the amps are in the 8030? I bought my daughter the RX-9010VBK a couple of years ago & she loves it especially the RF Remote. I have never listened to it because she lives out of state but her boyfriend who owns an Onkyo says her JVC sounds pretty good but not as clean as his Onkyo but it has a lot more inputs than his Onkyo. I think you will have to decide on the sound of the JVC yourself. If your just looking to get a low priced receiver with good sound check out the Panasonic 100 which has been getting good reviews but if your looking to get a low-priced receiver loaded with features the JVC 8030 is hard to beat unless you want to move up to the the Pioneer 912 but it doesn't have a PHONO Input if that might affect your desion & it's too bad that JVC got rid of the ON-SCREEN MENU SYSTEM on the RX-80VBK30.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just thought I'd add, the only reason I bought my daughter the JVC was because she needed 2 Audio Record Loops (Tape Deck, CD Burner), 2 Video Record Loops (2 VCR's or future DVD Recorder) & a phono input for her turntable & no other company had all these inputs on a receiver for under $300 delivered. I went with the RX-9010VBK instead of the 8010 just because of the RF Remote & 2nd Room which her boyfriend now has it running speakers in her bedroom & outside on her patio which the RF remote works from. To bad it doesn't have Prologic II but she's more than happy with it & she has had no problems with it at all & that's including operating the remote & etc. Another reason I went with the JVC is because everything can be set for each input (Master Volume, Speaker Levels, Tone Controls, DSP Modes & etc) so once her boyfriend set it up all she has to do is just select the component she wants to listen too. Her boyfriend said the receiver was on the "BRIGHT" side but he was able to tame it down a lot using the tone controls. Hope this helps you out.

Rick Ewing

Agent
My stepfather owns the JVC RX-8030VBK, having upgraded from an older JVC receiver. If you've owned other JVC midrange receivers, then you should be familiar with this product. I set it up for him and it does it's job pretty well in a 15'x25'x8' room driving some unremarkable Infinity mains with Pinnacle surrounds. Since his system is almost exclusively JVC (save a Sony DirecTivo), the receiver controls the JVC 56" HDTV, VCR and 7-disc DVD changer well.

My only complaint about the system is that it would be nice if there needs to be one more available digital audio input. As it stands, his inputs are the DVD player (component video, Toslink digital audio), a Motorola 5100 HD cable box (component video, coax digital audio) and the Sony DirecTivo (S-video, analog audio). It's impossible to assign the last remaining digital audio input to a "VCR" or other standard video source (only DVD, TV, or CD/MD is supported). If you hook the Tivo into the CD input, the video won't work properly.

But the 8030VBK is only $400 more or less, so I'm not surprised that we couldn't get this last feature. The other features (DPL II, DTS) are respectable for the class. At this price class, the receiver does not have power for all 7 speakers in a 7.1 setup (only 5.1) but you can add an outboard amp for the last two speakers if you like.

Rick Ewing

Agent
The JVC RX-DP20VBK sounds nice on paper but isn't in the same price class as the 8030 VBK ($2500 MSRP vs. $450). The biggest problem about the RX-DP20VBK is finding one to audition. None of my local B&M stores or any of the popular internet vendors stock this item (or any high-end JVC audio equipment). The only places I saw it stocked online I'd never heard of. JVC is beginning to advertise this receiver in major home theater magazines in a tie-in with Bonnie Raitt and her new album release, but without good distribution, I wonder how many they intend to sell.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Rick, Are you sure your step father has the 8030 & not the 8020? (The 8030 has a flip down door) because the 8030 does have the built in amp for a 7.1 setup without adding any amps to it but on the 8020 you had to add amps for a 7.1 set up. I agree it's too bad that the DP20 isn't around anywhere to give it a test drive but lets hope it will be in the future.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have heard the DP10 and DP9 at a dealer. They both sounded excellent. He had the DP10 hooked up to a pair of NHT 3.3s and the DP9 to a pair of 2.5's. It cranked and did not sound harsh or thin.
They have a great feature set and they seem to be a great value. I don't know if they'll be a flagship reciever (5803, 49tx) killer, but I betcha they could give all the others a run for their money.
Sorry to butt in.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Chris, the DP9 & DP10 are only THX Ultra Receivers where the new DP20 is a THX Ultra 2 Receiver & JVC's Flagship receiver so that would be the model to compare with other flagship receivers. Also the problem with the DP10 & DP9 are that you can't turn parts of the THX processing off. THX is either ON or OFF. Another problem with the DP10 & DP9 is that they have "Line Direct" instead of "Analog Direct" which the new DP20 has & it will be interesting to see if JVC fixed the THX processing so parts of it can be turned ON/OFF. I have the new JVC receiver catalog & they don't go into any detail about the THX processing. Another feature the DP20 has that the DP10 & DP9 don't is that the DP20 Upconverts Composite & S-Video to Component Video.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Gee, thanks Bill W.
I guess I was just saying that I heard THOSE two receivers.
I wasn't saying they were flagship worthy or flawless.
Sorry for any mis-interpreted confusion.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
No problem Chris, just wanted to let people know what to look out for. The big thing that turned me off on the DP9 & DP10 was that neither of them has Prologic II or Neo:6 but the new DP20 has both of them. I'm hoping that maybe next year? JVC will have replacements for the DP9 & DP10 that will have PLII & Neo:6 on them plus have taken care of any of the little nick picks & etc that the DP9 & DP10 had.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Your right Rick, the 6th back surround channel is split to make a 7th channel. After reading the review & rating on C-Net I wonder how much different the amps. are in the 8030 (130 Watts) compared to the 8020 (100 Watts) because C-Net rated the sound quality as "Good" & their rating for the sound quality on the 9010 was "Fair" which has the same amps as the 8020. In fact they rated the sound quality on the 8030 the same as the Pioneer 912 which surprised me.But the new design can't handle 4ohm loads like all the other JVC 8xxxVBK series could. Maybe the 8030 can give the Pioneer 912 a run for it's money which would be nice for someone who needs a receiver with a phono input like my daughter needed.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
C-Net rated the sound quality as "Good" & their rating for the sound quality on the 9010 was "Fair" which has the same amps as the 8020.
I think I'd take those one paragraph CNet reviews with a grain of salt. However, it has been some time since Sound and Vision has had their hands on a JVC receiver. The last review that I read was for the 8000VBK - which has now been about 2.5 years.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Wayne, I agree on C-Net's Ratings but at leat the 8030 did receiver a better rating than the 9010. I also hope that S&V does a review on it & also the Pioneer 912. Maybe JVC has cleaned up the amp section on the new 8030 & 7030?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks