What's new

Justice League S1 Announced for Blu-Ray 8/19 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
besides the obvious, being the hd version would be a true hd watching experience. giving you a higher resolution. and a better picture quality.

upconverting a dvd can give you a really good picture but it is always
clearly easy to tell the difference between a real hd picture and one that isn't.

also the sound may be better.
there may be a lossless audio option.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Well, it's out today, and apparently the BD is 4x3 and not widescreen.

I remember this being somewhat controversial for the SD release, and I'm really surprised Warner didn't make the BD 16x9.

Does anyone think this was a good idea?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that is a surprise.

i thought it was composed for "widescreen safe"
maybe that was just after season 1.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Dang it! Looks like I'll be canceling my order...

I wonder if this was a misprint in the original press release or a mastering mistake...?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Here is the review from WorldsFinestOnline

Even though they didn't like the choice of fullscreen the review does go on to say the picture quality is "pretty damn nice".

Eric F

Screenwriter
Unfortunately I think the issue is that (regardless of what Bruce Timm says) not all the episodes are completely animated by the same people, so they're not quite animated properly for 16:9, hence the 4:3 transfer once more. I encourage everyone to pick it up anyways because it looks excellent and we might not get further releases if people don't purchase it.

In any event if we don't get widescreen releases from S2 on, then we have a real right to complain.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
As someone on another board said:

"What if the 1.33 master was made in 1080 x 1440 and the only way to present that in 1.78 was to crop it to 800 x 1440 and upscale it ("zoom" it up) to 1080 x 1920?"

It's a good question. After all, the show was made in 2001-2002. It could be difficult to get a true 16x9 1080x1920 image if it was mastered as 1080x1440.

Why not just remaster it then? Well, another smart person suggested:

"Justice League may have been animated partly in the physical cells, and then partly within the computer. In which case, just 're-filming' the cells would leave you with a lot of stuff missing (depending on the animation style; certain backgrounds, possibly things like laser beams, certain lighting effects, etc.)"

This isn't like a finished film, per se. Television - and animated television from this era especially - is never fully on film. This same issue exists for the effects shots for Star Trek: The Next Generation and Babylon 5, which were made digitally in the computer and rendered at only standard def. You have to go back to practically scratch to get it in HD, and can't just scan finished film elements.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Amazon just dropped the price on this considerably. Now might be a good time to pick this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks