What's new

Justice League & Batman Beyond (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

All TVShowsOnDVD-based credit goes to Gord; it's all him. Just like with Desperate Housewives.

I just made sure HTF knew about it, that's all! :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks to all who participated. I was about to snail mail my request, but I do plan on snail mailing a THANK YOU for the decision.

Get more bees with honey than vinegar and all that.

Good news...not the greatest news, but pretty D good.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
I also think that this is the best possible news. Good going, Warner!

I would have been just as pleased with a widescreen S1, but am fine with this announcement.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I think this is the best we could have expected. With the first release probably in (if not mostly through) pre-production I bet there wasn't a way for Warners to see a financially viable reason to reset for widescreen.

:emoji_thumbsup: Warners!

Chris S.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So how many 4-disc sets will it take to bring us to the present season of JL?

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I'm guessing there will be 3 more sets after Season 1 before they are caught up (although season 3 of JL:U may have aired completely by then, depending on how fast WB gets these out). The JL:U sets probably won't be 4 discs, though. They dropped the 2-part format, for the most part, and only had 13 episodes per season. They COULD release seasons 1 and 2 together as a 4 disc set and get caught up quicker. I'd be surprised if they do that, though.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Jl Season 1 26 epsidoes 4 discs
JL season 2 26 episodes 4 discs
JLU Season 1 13 episodes 2 discs
JLU Season 2 13 episodes 2 discs
JLU Season 3 13 episodes 2 discs(current season)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It could just be me, but Warner has been very quick to fix or react to problems recently (rivaled only by BCI Eclipse). First there was an issue with Thundercats 1.1 (missing music) and we can get replacement discs. Now, less than a week after the news hit, they've responded to JL being widescreen.

That deserves major kudos. Really, for me, you could throw JL and JLU onto disc with no extras and I'd be there to get it. Knowing they are paying attention and taking issues and concerns to heart is a good thing.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Not to open another can of worms, but I didn't see anything indicating whether or not these would be anamorphic. I believe the Starcrossed single release was, so I certainly would expect them to be, but should this be something else to worry about?

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm certaintly looking forward to both of these sets. Although I'm glad that Season 2 of JL will be in widescreen, it certaintly wasn't a buy-or-not issue for me, because like all of the other Bruce Timm/Paul Dini/Alan Burnett DC Animated Universe shows, these are great and I would have bought them anyway. I've been throughly enjoying the latest Batman and Superman sets (Vol. 4 & 2 respectively), which include many great episodes I had not previously seen.

With these, and the recently announced "The" Batman and Teen Titans sets, it looks like all of the major DC shows are getting the season treatment at last! :) Now, just bring on Krypto the Superdog: Season 1, and all will be well! ;)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
In general, Warner Bros. is good about anamorphic treatment. I doubt they'd make it full frame, though it probably doesn't hurt to ask.

This is the sentiment I most agree with. I am still upset S1 won't be widescreen, but it at least sounds like they considered it. Given the common fan position of "must see all animation whether the creators want it or not" I really can't blame them for not changing their minds on season 1. I will just have to get over it.

And they really did the right thing by letting us all know very quickly. I seriously didn't expect to find out until the S2 announcement.

So, thank you Warner.

As far as anamorphic, it had better be. I will say that the uncut Return of the Joker was in NON-anamorphic widescreen. Mask of the Phantasm WAS anamorphic, however. And so was JL: Starcrossed. I think those were the only three that have been released in widescreen on DVD so far.

Sub Zero was on LD in widescreen (open matte on DVD) and Mystery of the Batwoman is an open matte transfer DVD. And I hear that Sub Zero has a 5.1 track available that is not on the DVD.

Rumor has it that Batman Beyond season three is also open matte and could be released in widescreen.

I personally would want all of these released widescreen on DVD (provided the creators didn't object), but given the seemingly more common sentiment among fans that they must see all the picture that was animated and Warner's default status of full frame I doubt we will see them until HD.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Doesn't seem like that's gonna happen. You pretty much repeat that again 6 paragraphs later. :)

I doubt their decision had to do with fans clamoring for full screen (I don't think anyone on the full screen side is that vocal about it - I would've been fine with widescreen, but I'm just as fine with full frame for season 1) as it did with how far along they were on the project.

Why they were able to animate for widescreen in season 2+ and provide CN with a 4:3 extraction, but they did the exact opposite in season 1? If Timm and Co. wanted widescreen, why didn't they just go that route in the first place rather than putting their efforts into fully animating a 4:3 frame and throwing a matte over it? Or, why not throw the matte over it and give CN a 4:3 extraction from THAT? I'm not saying there's not an explanation. I would love to jump over to the widescreen camp where I normally live.

Now Batman Beyond season 3 is widescreen? It won't be long before we're demanding anamorphic Smurfs (I'm telling you right now that Gargamel's head is gonna get cut off along with the Smurf at his feet).

Eric F

Screenwriter
Anamorphic please!!! I think this should be noted and specifically asked for. I won't be purchasing FS/letterboxed if that's the way they go.

Hopefully Warner is getting the message that adults are the main market for these titles, and we want OAR.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

Mystery of the Batwoman is not open matte. It is Pan & Scam. The supplemental features on that disc show the extent of the cropping.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Thank God. It seems like the best. Every season is being released in the aspect it was animated in the way it should be. No pan scan releases. I thank all who helped sway Warners opinion. Now when will Season 2 be released. Since Brue Timms said the set is being worked on in weeks I am guessing it will be released in June aloung side Superman Volume 3 and the new direct to video Superman animated movie. This would help give more hype to Superman Returns when it hits theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks