What's new

Justice League & Batman Beyond (1 Viewer)

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Having them play without interruption would help create the mini movie feel. I was pretty pissed when Gargoyles (One of the few shows I liked more then Justice League) kept those annoying previously on Gargoyles crap. We own the DVD we know what previously happened. I hope Justice League does not make the same mistake. Or if some actually want those interruptions (can't possibly see why) Warner could at least give a skip option on them so I can just click my remote to eliminate the problem.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

A skip option would indeed be nice, but as for not being able to see why anyone would "want those interruptions", I see that you are new here (welcome!) so you may not be aware that the mission statement of this site is to get films and television programs released on DVD in the manner they were originally presented. That includes original aspect ratios, intermissions in films (if they were there originally), recaps for television series, and so on.

You will find that the majority of those here on the forum embrace that mission statement completely.

So the skip option is fine, as would be seamless branching so that you have the option of watching multiple parts as one longer episode...but they must also be presented as they were when they were originally broadcast.

Have fun here!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
IIRC, On the "Superman vol 1" set, the first 3 episodes were featured as a movie on home video. On the set they are broken up, with the recaps. I would imagine that the Justice League well be the same.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

I really really hope not. I was highly disipointed with this. Its both and unnessary interruption and a waste of disc space. Its alot worse for Justice League since its an entire series of nothing but 2 and 3 part episodes. I always enjoyed the double part because it makes every story a mini movie. I really hope the mini movie feel is maintained and the nasty recaps are not included or at least skipable.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

Well, if you are advocating releases that differ from the way they were produced you are definitely in the minority here and may not win many friends on this forum...

Good luck.

OTHER STUFF...

The Digital Bits lists Teen Titans: The Complete First Season being released on February 7th. I'm no fan of this series, but I think this is a good sign that we can expect all the Bruce Timm animation to eventually be released...

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Ok Id like to know how this enhances the show. How does it make the viewing better. Why not include the commercials on the DVD as well? That make it even more like its original television airing. Would you have liked it if Star Wars Clone Wars had been in its original presentation. We could have had intros every three minutes. I thank the lord its not since editing the series together just makes the whole series have that movie feel. I want that feel for Justice League. I want all double episodes together as long single episodes.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The network adds commercials, not the producers of the show, so no, I wouldn't want the commercials in.

For modern shows, that is. Back in the 50s and 60s, shows were sponsored and an entire reel almost 30 minutes long was delivered to the network with the sponsor's ads already inserted. Sometimes these spots were produced by the same people who made the show, sometimes not, but in that case yes, I would want the spots in.

Whatever the folks making the show slapped onto the film/tape and sent out to the network, I want it on the DVD.

(Okay, they can leave out the bars and tone and countdown leader)

Since when is a DVD supposed to do that? A DVD is supposed to present the show, not improve it. We already like the show, just slap it on there and give it to us. I don't want someone in a DVD authoring house deciding what "enhances" or "makes the show better". The producers of the show made the show how they wanted to make it (hopefully), and should not be second-guessed.

But sure, chapter stops or a play-all feature that skips the credits would be fine. You and I would both be happy that way.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In the world of anime, this is also how they do it, even for OVAs, which never were shown on TV but were direct to video. Course, some of that might be to sell each part as an individual release, but when released here, they don't remove the openings and endings and make a "movie" out of them, except as maybe as a seperate release.

Personally, I think you could satisfy everyone with branching. you can do the "movie" thing with just playing the chapters with the story.

Jason

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I totally agree. Branching via some play all option would give both side what they desire, though I highly doubt WB will go to through that much effort for these releases.

Chris S.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I contacted Warner Bros after receiving numerous emails that mentioned the creators prefer the widescreen transfers of season 1, so we'll see if that changes. Unfortunately the Top Dog in the animation side of Warner has left, and the spot is empty right now.

Gord

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Well personally I was hoping for separate fullscreen and widescreen versions. Since the widescreen version is the creaters prefered version but the fullscreen version is how it was originally animated. Both have definute merit. Even though I prefer the fullscreen version (for the first season) I would buy it no matter what and am excited that they are finally recieving proper DVD treatment.

Please see the link here (you will need to put the dots in, I can't post links yet):

jl toonzone net/widescreen/widescreen.htm

Clearly the widescreen composition is far preferable. I am desperatly hoping this issue will get more attention here than on the ToonZone forums... concensus there seems to be that widescreen would be ok, but it really doesn't matter.

But the creators of the show intended and prefer it to be seen in widescreen, and the shots on that page make it clear that this is true.

Just because it was animated at 1.33:1 doesn't mean that's the best way to present it. But of course everybody knows nobody will buy a cartoon in widescreen or cares how it looks artistically. :frowning:

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I say release it in fullscreen and then package the DVD with giant black stickers for there televions. Or if you own a widescreen television zoom it. The fullscreen version shows the entire image while the widescreen version only shows 80%. Original aspect ratio is always best. Fullscreen is the original aspect ratio for season one of Justice League. But hey if I had my way both would be released but I think we should be satisfied with fullscreen.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Or they could use the subtitle track to do the same thing.

I hope the seasons that were animated in widescreen are released in anamorphic widescreen.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great news. I can tolerate S1 in FS (though I'd prefer WS), but not S2. Hopefully, we'll get a change.

Still, incredible news for fans of the DCAU.

Take care,
Chuck

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
True season one I would take either way but I will boycott season 2 if it is released in pan scan. Season One is basically an experiment. They wanted to animate there shows in widescreen but the studio wouldn't let them. So they animated it in fullscreen with wasted information on the top and bottom for widescreen framing. This allowed them to air both to see if the ratings would change. The widescreen ratings recieved no change to fullscreen ratings so the studio allowed all following seasons to be animated in widescreen. I am glad widescreen framing worked out for the following seasons since it works best for HDTV but for Season One Id like to see the whole image.

Isn't OAR intended to mean the creator-intended aspect ratio??? It is the filmed aspect ratio in this case, very similar to how many live action films film at 1.33:1 and are designed to be shown matted. Is it ok for them to only release Pee Wee's Big Adventure only in full frame because it was filmed at 1.33:1?

I thought OAR is supposed to refer to what the creators of the piece wanted, which in this case is clearly widescreen. It seems like the term is being misused...

I can't understand why everyone is so accepting of this version, which is in my mind obviously incorrectly framed. Is it acceptable because it is animated? Because it is a "kid's show"? I really thought I would see more support for widescreen here.

I want an anamorphic picture! I don't want to be stuck with a crappy zoom mode. Most of all, I am actually pretty upset that I can't find hardly anyone who agrees that this release has been botched. I really thought that DVD had progressed to the point that anamorphic widescreen was a given if appropriate to the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks