What's new

Justice League & Batman Beyond (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Does anyone know if Warner are planning Justice League and Batman Beyond sets? I am as high as kite at the moment on Batman The Animated Series sets, and would love to see sets of these like Batman TAS and Superman TAS.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I expect them to come out eventually, but it'll probably be a long wait. They still have to release the rest of Superman: The Animated Series, as well as The New Batman Adventures. Looking at what the producers of that show have created (in order), Batman Beyond would follow those and THEN Justice League. On the plus side, I'm sure we won't have to wait until 12 years after the Justice League series ends (as we did with Batman: The Animated Series) before we get a DVD set of it.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
When they are done with Batman TAS and New Adventures they will probably start with Beyond.

As for Justice League, i don't know.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I would imagine we'll get the final set of Batman around the time Batman Begins is released on dvd.

Superman Vol. 2 when Bryan Singer's film is released and a third (unless Vol. 2 is bigger than Vol. 1) when that dvd hits.

I'd rather see Justice League before Batman Beyond since it's much closer continuity. Maybe those sets will replace the Superfriends releases?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have all the Justice League, especially this latest series. In the past they have only put 2 or 3 episodes on a disc, but since this season is one long arc there is hope.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
According to tvshowsondvd.com Batman Beyond and Justice League sets are planned for next year. Superman Volume 3 and the new Superman animated movie are coming out around the same time as Superman Returns hits theaters. They will probably release the first Justice League set around the DVD (and Blu-Ray hopefully) release of Superman Returns. I haven't bought any of the single releases even though I love the show. I did unfortunitly buy the Batman/Superman movie thinking it was a movie and not part of the series. I was wrong. Any non-season set release of any series is not a release. Hopefully the high sales of the Batman sets will convince them that season sets are the only way to go.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Yes. Bruce Timm crew is currently working on a direct to video animated Superman movie that takes place sometime between the end of the Superman series and the beginning of the Justice League series. It is said to come direct to video around the time of Superman Returns hits theaters. Exact story details are not known yet but it is strongly rumored to involve brainic.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Here's hoping (and maybe Gord or David could pass this along to Warner Bros.) that the Justice League release will be in anamorphic widescreen. The episodes aired on Cartoon Network in letterboxed 16:9 and open-matte 4:3. The producers of the series are on record as saying the 16:9 version is correct - the 4:3 version has a lot of useless space on the top and bottom. The shots were composed specifically for 16:9 as well.

Hopefully Warner gets this right. I can see the company releasing the "kids" version of the cartoon with random episodes in "Family Friendly (cough cough)" 4:3, but the definitive "adult" collectors version should be in the intended 16:9.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Not me. I believe it should be presented in whatever aspect it was animated in. Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, and the first season of Justice League were animated in fullscreen but designed with wasted space on the tops and bottoms so they would be Ok for widescreen. Id prefer to have wasted animation rather then black bars on the top and bottom. However season 2 and beyond are all animated in widescreen so I am totally for widescreen only on these releases but Id like it if fullscreen could could be at least offered for the first season.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
If the producer's preferred aspect ratio for season one of Justice League is widescreen, then that is how it should be released. This is the way I saw the program on the Cartoon Network, and an anamorphic release would be greatly appreciated by myself and others with 16x9 monitors.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

So you want Pan Scan. I am an original aspect ratio buff. Season 1 of Justice League was animated in 1.33 fullscreen. Therefore if the DVD is widescreen it would simply pan scaning a movie and formating it to fit widescreen televisions. This is no different then Paning a widescreen filmed movie to fullscreen for old televisions. Again though season 2 and the entire Justice League Unlimited series are actually animated in widescreen. Therefore I want fullscreen for the first season and anamorphic widescreen for the rest of the series.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
No, they were all widescreen. In the first season, they'd premire the fullscreen on Saturday night and the Sunday replay would be widescreen. I don't remember how long that practice continued.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

Not an issue for most of us on this forum with 16x9 displays. No black bars for us. Since season 1 aired both in 4x3 and 16x9, either aspect ratio would be the original broadcast ratio. Since the producers have a preference, that is what should be out on DVD and I really hope Gord or David communicate this to Warner Bros. Home Video.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

There would be no panning nor scanning. The safe areas would be eliminated in an anamorphic transfer, and those without anamorphic displays would get a letterboxed image.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Well then the best solution should be to release a separate set for both. Timm even admits its better to have both presented. One for people who want the entire picture and one for those who want what the creaters prefer. You say that all you are missing is wasted space but thats the case in many widescreen films. All that pan scaned is wasted space but I would still always rather have the whole picture. I own a 16:9 television as well but I don't want the same thing to happen with this new shape as what happened with 4:3 televisions. I am against changing an aspect from its original shape. My link gives two comparison pics clearly showing which version shows the most picture. Id like to see the leagues entire uniforms. I like seeing the sealing and the floor. I want the whole picture animated and I think that should be given as an option.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Jim, you are familiar with the differences between pan & scan and open matte, right?

If a motion picture is filmed anamorphically (or hard matted), when that image is later shown in "full screen" they must move the rectangular image back and forth across the square frame to keep vital information on the screen at all times. This is Pan & Scan.

But a great many widescreen films are shot as a 4x3 image that is matted to widescreen. The image is composed as a widescreen image even though there is more image above and below that rectangular frame. When that image is later shown in "full screen" they are essentially removing the black bars at the top and bottom of the frame so that technically there is more image now in that "full screen" image. This is open matte. There is no panning or scanning.

This is also pretty much what happened with the first season of Justice League. Those shots were animated in a 4x3 frame, but were composed for a 16x9 aspect ratio. The producers prefer the 16x9 framing, because that is what they originally wanted...but were unsure if the Cartoon Network would go for it. When they discovered they would, they produced all the following seasons in true widescreen.

This is why the majority here would like ALL the seasons presented in anamorphic widescreen. The composition looks better and is the correct aspect ratio as far as the creator's are concerned...

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Well thats fine thats why I really believe both should be made availible. A separate fullscreen and anamorphic widescreen box set to allow us to choose. Though I could care less if this option is made on the following seasons. Yes I do prefer fullscreen on some Open Matte films including Mask of the Phantasm even though I own a 16:9 television. In the late 80s and early 90s many filmakers considered VHS the films only future and made there movies with VHS as the primary focus. For such films I do prefer fullscreen.

Another thing is that the series is made entirely of two and three part episodes. Id greatly prefer if each full episode could be presented without any damn credits, intros, and recaps in the middle interrupting the story. The single releases seem to do this and I hope this is carried over to the box sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks